IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Diesel Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
bustedknuckles

Member Number: 8938
Default 1980 Scout II swap from diesel to gas

1) International Scout II
2) 1980
3) Four wheel drive
4)Wide ratio T-19 and Dana 300
5) Dana 44 front and rear
6) SD33T

I just purchased a 1980 Scout II in the best shape I could find. No rust in the rockers or fender wells. Factory "School Bus Yellow" paint. I drove it from outside Reno, NV to Meridian, ID. Shortly after hitting the road the SD33T began to overheat under load and I began to lose coolant with no discernible leaks. Managed to get her home and now she won't start at all. I assume blown head gasket and have decided to go from diesel to gas, Prolly an IH 345. Sorry to all the diesel lovers. My request for info concerns the swap itself. What will i need?

Bell Housing? or will the one in the truck mate with a 345?

I assume I'll need the motor side portion of the mount but will the mounts on the frame accept the 345 mounts?

And what would be involved in swapping in a SBC 350? I only ask because I can't seem to readily find an IH engine and the rebuild cost seems quite high.

Thanks everyone, Matt

Also, if anyone wants the SD33T, it seemed to run ok until it began to overheat, and I'd be in the market to trade for an IH 345.
bustedknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
bustedknuckles

Member Number: 8938
Default Re: 1980 Scout II swap from diesel to gas

Update: Found a 345 out of a 67 Scout that still has mounts on it and comes with a manual trans. Owner does not know the trans code but I'm under the impression that the 67 only came with the T-18 or T-19, so this should bolt up and drop in, right?
bustedknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote