IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
mrscullini

Member Number: 7826
Default edelbrock 1406 to carter TQ

picked up a '79 scout ii with a 345. currently fitted with an edelbrock 1406. runs fine, but will need to pick up a carter tq to pass ca smog. i see a bunch of carbs listed on ebay with different 9xxx p/n's. most for mopar 340's, 440's etc. is there a specific 9 series carb to search? i know anything i pick up will need a complete rebuild.
mrscullini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697
Default Re: edelbrock 1406 to carter TQ

i've been passing socal smog for 10 years with the same '79/345 combo using a q-jet. find one with a passenger side fuel inlet, and a fuel bowl vent (its tight round the thermostat housing).
as long as all of the hoses are going where they're supposed to, and the rest of the gack is in place, you're good. biggest issue i've had is the pressurized fuel system check. had to go through all of the vent hoses a couple years ago, but otherwise it passes visual every time. i'll post ya pics if needed.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
mrscullini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealbreaker74 View Post
i've been passing socal smog for 10 years with the same '79/345 combo using a q-jet. find one with a passenger side fuel inlet, and a fuel bowl vent (its tight round the thermostat housing).
as long as all of the hoses are going where they're supposed to, and the rest of the gack is in place, you're good. biggest issue i've had is the pressurized fuel system check. had to go through all of the vent hoses a couple years ago, but otherwise it passes visual every time. i'll post ya pics if needed.
thanks for the insight dealbreaker. if you wouldn't mind posting a pic, that would be great. any chance you have a model number or p/n?

btw, i've still got the original single exhaust and cat on there. i'm estimating about 125k miles on the system. what is your exhaust like?

Last edited by mrscullini; 01-08-2017 at 06:06 AM..
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

for all i know, the smog guys might let the 1406 pass. most of them don't see enough carbs these days to know the diff. and btw, there's nothing wrong with a t-q when its working properly (not leaking or cracked). my '74 had been in the family since it was 8 mos old and we ran that up until a few years ago. great carbs, but hard to keep functional with today's fuel.

the q-jets i run now were junkyard finds. the one in the pic i sent down to sean murphy (google him) for a stock rebuild. its been solid ever since. i don't see a number on it, but i'll look harder when i get home.

the exhaust was pretty beat when i got the truck. i scrapped the "y" pipe from the factory, and used a 2-into-1 cat i found on line. these aren't technically legal in ca, but again, no one has caught it (a 49 state cat is somehow different from a 3 way ca version). i'm pretty sure i found it eastern catalytic. its been about 5 years though, and things may have changed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000883.jpg (70.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg P1000954.jpg (65.7 KB, 44 views)
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
mrscullini

Quote:
for all i know, the smog guys might let the 1406 pass. most of them don't see enough carbs these days to know the diff. and btw, there's nothing wrong with a t-q when its working properly (not leaking or cracked). my '74 had been in the family since it was 8 mos old and we ran that up until a few years ago. great carbs, but hard to keep functional with today's fuel.

the q-jets i run now were junkyard finds. the one in the pic i sent down to sean murphy (google him) for a stock rebuild. its been solid ever since. i don't see a number on it, but i'll look harder when i get home.

the exhaust was pretty beat when i got the truck. i scrapped the "y" pipe from the factory, and used a 2-into-1 cat i found on line. these aren't technically legal in ca, but again, no one has caught it (a 49 state cat is somehow different from a 3 way ca version). i'm pretty sure i found it eastern catalytic. its been about 5 years though, and things may have changed.
thanks again dealbreaker. i was thinking the 1406 may pass. however, it has a polished finish on it so it definitely looks aftermarket.

btw, from the pics, your ride seems pretty nice.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Mark Pietz

Member Number: 2143

Quote:

when it comes time to replace the cat, you need the carb approved version. they do crawl under there and check for the carb number. i know this from personal experience. the cat is significantly more than the 49 state version, but that's the way it is. as far as the tq goes, you might slide by the inspector with a different carb but maybe not. they are quirky but i've run them on different ih iron with success. i believe the original # is 9126 or maybe 9128 (stick or auto, not sure which). they'd not know the difference. if you find a chrysler version that looks exteriorly the same, you could very likely make it work and pass smog. knowing what i know about these things, i'd certainly give it a shot. there were two (actually three) versions but most of what you'd find will be either the small venturie jobs, or the larger. for some reason ih used the larger, although the smaller would probably tune much better.

Last edited by Mark Pietz; 01-24-2017 at 07:51 AM..
Mark Pietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
mrscullini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pietz View Post
when it comes time to replace the cat, you need the carb approved version. they do crawl under there and check for the carb number. i know this from personal experience. the cat is significantly more than the 49 state version, but that's the way it is. as far as the tq goes, you might slide by the inspector with a different carb but maybe not. they are quirky but i've run them on different ih iron with success. i believe the original # is 9126 or maybe 9128 (stick or auto, not sure which). they'd not know the difference. if you find a chrysler version that looks exteriorly the same, you could very likely make it work and pass smog. knowing what i know about these things, i'd certainly give it a shot. there were two (actually three) versions but most of what you'd find will be either the small venturie jobs, or the larger. for some reason ih used the larger, although the smaller would probably tune much better.
thanks for the insight. with regard to the cat, i found a magna flow direct fit replacement that is carb legal at $251. by chance is this the cat you used? wondering how much of a "direct fit" it is.

i'll crawl under and take some measurements. i know i have the original cat. it has a slight bend on the inlet. and if i recall, it was kind of a ball and socket flanged fitting.