IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Diesel Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
scouttoo

Member Number: 342
Default 77 diesel questions

I just acquired a 77 traveler with the Nissan sd33. When I went to haul it home I saw that it had a little something way down there - second photo. I was told that it ran when the previous owner bought it but it's been sitting a couple years and I'd be surprised if it ran well. How do I go about resurrecting the engine. The long term plans involve stuffing my 93 dodge ctd into it, but if I can get it running without too much $$$ input I May put er on the road for a while.
Should I change the oil right off before trying to turn it over? How do I pressurize the oiling? What should I put into the cylinders to lube it before cranking? What weight oil? I guess first off I should start with checking the oil fill cap for the mocha latte gunge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160204_161550.jpg (80.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160228_163236.jpg (69.9 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
scouttoo

Default Re: 77 diesel questions

I pulled the oil fill cap and it was scunge free. Pulled the dipstick and she appears to be over full and the oil smells to me like it might have diesel fuel in it. I don't know anything about the fuel pump on this engine except that there is an electric one mounted on the right inner fender before the fuel filter that doesn't look stock. I'm assuming the stock pump is on the block below the injection pump and maybe it has leaked into the crankcase? The radiator is seriously low but not empty. There's various wires disconnected here and there, not all engine related. At this point it's looking doubtful I'll get it running but it could be possible. I suspect it was neglected and run into the ground.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

Congrats on your new acquistion. You've got a turbo diesel there. That engine was only available for 1 year in the '80 Scout. Start with fresh oil and do a compression check to see how worn it is.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
scouttoo

Yep it's got a turbo, but I'm thinking the turbo was added. The spec plate on the valve cover says 89 hp, it's painted yellow, all the clamps on the turbo hoses are regular ol' hose clamps, so I doubt it's an '80 engine. How do you check compression on a diesel? It will have to be cold. What kind of psis do you get when the cr is over 20/1? Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
FDChappie

Remove the injectors and screw in the compression tester. You'll get around 450 psi if things are in good condition. To bad you're so far away, I have a tester that's only been used once.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
scouttoo

I've got a tester but it's for spark plug holes, don't know the thread size of the injectors. I read somewhere that you can use an adapter in the glow-plug hole. I might just crank it with no fuel to bring up oil pressure then stick a fuel hose into a container of fresh fuel and see what happens. Right now my back doesn't want me to lean over a fender. Plus, could be good for some drama
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
FDChappie

If it goes to 600psi, you can get an injector adapter for it. We wouldn't to have a combustion event with the tester in the glow plug hole.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
scouttoo

Well, it's alive! My son and I pulled the two dead batteries installed the good battery from my cummins. We connected the two wires from the electric fuel pump to the passenger side battery terminals. To shut the pump off we had to pull the ground wire from the battery ground terminal. To work the glow plugs we used a short piece of 8 gauge wire to jump the relay on the firewall. I counted to 20 and figured that was long enough. To spin the engine I had to short across the connections at the starter. That's how messed up all the wiring is! After a few attempts of getting everything right including proper fuel shutoff position that sucker actually fired. Once we gave it enough throttle she was a running and actually sounded pretty good and didn't smoke much at all. I know there's a fuel leak at the tank, could be hoses or could be a rust hole. So it seems like it's worth putting some effort into it and try to get it road worthy. There's lots of work to do before the big swap so might as well have some fun.