IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Diesel Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Josh

Member Number: 7269
Default 73 Cummins Conversion Questions

I was looking to buy a Scout and do a cummins conversion, however I found a converted 73 with a 4bt. The fuel pump is the bosch rotary style. The pump is a weak link if I want to increase power. The rig is $15,000. Good body, minimal rust, frame off restoration a few years ago, 4" rancho lift, new tires, seems to run well. Both the motor and transmission are in excellent condition.

I would prefer the 4bt with a p7100, a conversion of the rotary isn't worth the trouble in my opinion and I can live with it as is... For a while.

I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with the 4bt in a Scout, rotary or p7100?

What can I expect from the performance of a stock rotary?

If you have any suggestions concerning the two?

I'm open to buying a conversion with the 4bt p7100 if anyone knows of one?

I'm open to buying a Scout (71-76) with a clean, straight, rust free body and dropping a 4bt into it... However it seems this rig will save a lot of work.

The guy I'm buying the rig from lives about 1600 miles away and isn't super at communication, so I still need to test drive and inspect, so the deal is far from complete. Ive given him a generous nonrefundable deposit to hold it for a while. Im taking the time to explore my options, search out different opportunities, perhaps find a shop I can work with if I go a different direction...

I appreciate your thoughts.

Josh
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
1hc72

Member Number: 991
Default Re: 73 Cummins Conversion Questions

Imho he is asking wayyyyy to much. I wouldnt pay more than 10 and that is the top. The 4bt is a good motor. I would say you can get about 80 hp out of it
Old 10-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
clhman

Member Number: 5667
Default Re: 73 Cummins Conversion Questions

I'm in the middle of a p7100 pump 4bt conversion. Pm me with questions. There is nothing wrong with a rotary pump. They are good to at least 200hp. I'm on 4btswaps.com, you can find my thread there. I agree $15k is steep, unless it is immaculate.

Tags
conversion, cummins, restoration