IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transfer Case Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
spartnak

Member Number: 7888
Default PTO transfer case removal

This May be a dumb question cause I couldn't find the answer. I have a 62 Scout 80 with a ramsey pto winch. Does it share fluid with the transmission and the 4 wheel drive transfer case? I want to remove it but don't want to if it requires work to the existing transfer case.

Thanks
spartnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
harrywt

Member Number: 1181
Default Re: PTO transfer case removal

Sorry that nobody answered. Most likely you will see the inside of the transmission(transfer case) when you remove the pto. The gear of the pto meshes with a gear of the trans after all. The only way they wouldn't share oil is if there were a shaft between them.

I don't know this set up but with t18 and t19 tranny's there are covers over the pto mount points. If you remove the pto you will have to cover the opening. Worst case you have something fabbed as it is almost certainly a flat plate. I had two of these made for about $50, billeted out of 3/8 al plate

PTO Cover.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartnak View Post
this May be a dumb question cause I couldn't find the answer. I have a 62 Scout 80 with a ramsey pto winch. Does it share fluid with the transmission and the 4 wheel drive transfer case? I want to remove it but don't want to if it requires work to the existing transfer case.

Thanks
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Greg R

Member Number: 527

As far as I have seen, no. There's a filler plug you put oil in that's the same you use for the winch's gears.

It's a chain drive and was designed to go on and off in a snap; just like a "plug 'n play" accessory with only 5 bolts on the transfercase's pto hole.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:19 AM   #4
harrywt

Member Number: 1181

Can you take pictures? Remind me of the goal here. You want to remove the pto permanently? I still think you remove it and coverr the access hole. I am guessing from your description that there is some sort of output shaft semi permanently coming out of the tcase and then you connect a chain to it to power various accessories. I am remembering a picture from the quarterly binder magazine showing pto's for pre 1972 scouts.

Oops, just noticed gregr is not spartnak, but the gist stays the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg r View Post
as far as I have seen, no. There's a filler plug you put oil in that's the same you use for the winch's gears.

It's a chain drive and was designed to go on and off in a snap; just like a "plug 'n play" accessory with only 5 bolts on the transfercase's pto hole.
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote