IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #31
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453
Default Re: 1965 D1100 4x4 driver/project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter97 View Post
Aaalrighty back to work I go.... Yeesh. I've hit one of those things, that I knew was there but didn't want to acknowledge at any cost. See pics. I'm not sure what the best way to address this is. Maybe cut out the rust with a dremel tool and just leave a larger but clean edged hole? But if I do will water pour in? I'm going to have to address this eventually but I don't have time right now nor the skill to weld in patches, should I cut it out? Probably. The dash is stripped out and ready for it. Or should I just try and neutralize it somehow? I almost can't believe how rotten the vents are while the floor is still so good. Let me know your thoughts, today will hopefully have time to figure out whats up with the rear lights and install the new alternator.
I'm no body and fender man. That looks pretty bad. It only makes sense to address it when access is easiest.

Quote:
Also can anyone tell me if this is the long forgotten horn relay?
Its a relay of some sort. Could be the horn.

Quote:
While I'm under here(suprising head room) dealing with the mess in the first two pics can anyone tell if the driveline angle is sharp enough here to warrant a double cardan? Or whatever its called... If not how to tell?
Examine your u-joints for signs of binding as the shaft is rotated. If there's no binding, then the angle is probably ok.

Quote:
On to the next likely daft/noobish question, do I not need a voltage regulator anymore? Theres nowhere to plug in the old delco remy lol. Pic is new wire top, old bottom, that plug is gone! ps sorry to spam posts like this, I'm posting as Im finding today...
Your original alternator is known as a 10DN. It required an external voltage regulator. You're upgrading to a 10si (systems integrated) which is an internally regulated device. No need for a belt with those suspenders. That's direct from the department of redundancy department.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #32
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260

Thanks. Yea, the vents arent pretty. I know thats a problem spot on these trucks, believe it or not, I looked at a 68 pu before I bought this one that was 3-4000% worse. I was amazed it didnt desintigrate on the road... I get a distinct noise in 4th, starts hitting 45 and humms its way up to 65-70. I thought it might be driveline noise but who knows. As far as todays progress, got the new alternator in, looked a bit out of place so I smeared some grime on it lol. Figured out that aparently these were never wired for signal lights in back, Ive sorted out the remaining wire and have a fix in mind for the rear signal lights. Im thinking I'm going to replace the rear lights, stay tunned for what I hope will turn out to be a cool idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180618_132132.jpg (72.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20180618_132241.jpg (54.7 KB, 11 views)

1965 IH D11004x4 "Shermanator"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton (my baby)
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "because why not?"
Half of a 1958 Apache found on roadside dead
Numerous resurrected lawnmowers(same roadside)

The imminent future of California:
"We don't let our enemies have guns, why would we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
----------------------------God help us all----------------------------------
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #33
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

I have one observation from left field...that sure is a cute widdow tiny mototykal air filter you've got sitting on that massive dump truck motor!

As for your rear lights, the bulbs should be combined function/dual filament. The brighter filament handles brakes, 4-way/hazards and directionals, while the dim filament is the tails. It isn't like a euro-hoopdee with separate amber lenses and bulbs just for the rear directionals.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #34
Gunfighter97

Lol my thoughts exactly on the filter. My parts truck didnt have one at all, not that it runs. I changed the cartridge when we got it, it made a very noticable increase in power, apparently air is important. As far as the lights go, the ones Im looking at are milsurp led 12/24 volt MRAP take offs with seperate indicator lights

Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #35
Gunfighter97

Ive figured out a solution to my rear signal light dilemma, after some continuity testing I found wich which is wich on my diagram and harness, and will install some plugs in back of the fire wall connectors. Why in back? Cuz I dont want to mess with the pretty new electrical tape in front I have 2 leads already leading to each rear signal, I'm basically just going to plug them into the respective two wires that go to each of the lights in front. Unfortunately I'm going to have to get a couple new Packard 56 connector contacts, as I have a feeling the ones I need to remove will get ruined in the process. Fortunately in all my electrical noobieness, I still know how to make a lightbulb work. Only thing is now a new problem has shown up in that I have absolutely no clue how the signal switch worked :confused.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #36
Gunfighter97

Ok, its hot. Like reeeeaaallyyy hot. So if my thoughts don't seem collected... I'm blaming the sun lol. I've determined to cut out the rust later, I just don't have the time to open a can of worms right now. In other news, the headlights are done with the new H4 conversion, and the dash wire bundle will go in tomorrow(will rig pig tails for the rear signal lights later since the conectors that over the phone were "in stock" at Orielieys and Napa, aparently weren't in reality). Furthering my heat induced delusions is the fact that I dont even know how the original switch worked, and I have to make the plug and the pigtail out of the column Like eachother. . . . Thoughts? See pics, in the mean time, ima go climb into my fridge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180621_155039.jpg (61.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180621_155107.jpg (58.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180621_151428_HDR.jpg (127.9 KB, 8 views)