IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #46
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369
Default Re: An Expedition Scout

First test was a success! Did a 3 day short run, 125 miles out, to I.h.w.r. In yermo over the weekend with beater loaded for camping. Well...glamping, we were in a campground with full services. 60 mph seems to be the "happy" speed and I averaged 19 mpg on the highway...not bad. There are a few more things I need to add to the truck to be able to dry camp but were gettin real close. We really need a bigger tent, the being bent over in it sucks, I want one that I can stand in. Gunna take a rest and work on the bike for a bit while I plan the next mods.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #47
71mtnscout

Started back at him again and I was getting exhaust in the cab again, so a check proved to be a loose exhaust...again. Yesterday I extended the exhaust to the rear, and added more hangers to take the stress off of the manifold connection. Flange gasket was toast and of coarse it wasn't in stock and had to be ordered. Got that replaced to today and did a short "seating in" run and re torqued it and did another heat cycle. I had no exhaust in the cab on either run so hopefully it's fixed for the last time, but then it is an IH. It's 103* right now and I'll wait till the sun goes down to go fill the tank.

Next is the enclosing and weather proofing of the storage pockets that used to be the saddle tank areas.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #48
71mtnscout

Left for the shop last week and right after I got on the highway he died, just like the key was shut off. When I got to the shoulder it was idling and then just died, restarted and died again.

Had time today to finally get into it, turned out to be no spark. The Delco dizzy has a pertronix ignition and I figured it died. I pulled the dizzy from Wilma and popped it in Beater...nothin. Changed the coil and bam, running like a champ. I set the timing and left the Holley points dizzy in Beater and will pickup a performance coil for Wilma and use the Delco in her.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #49
71mtnscout

As luck would have it I blew out the fiber style exhaust donut. Found that I had put alot of strain in the system. Added another hanger and let the system "hang" where it will, then tightened everything up. It's not good for any hard trail running cause it going downhill and the muffler drops below the frame. Other than that I think it's good......haha, we'll see! I really don't want to replace it, although a good muffler shop can do wonders.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #50
71mtnscout

It was a good day and a bad one..............

The good;
After redoing the exhaust I found the Weber needed a total rebuild and I just happen to have one freshly rebuilt on Wilma.

The bad;
There's a problem in the idle circuit on it, but it runs decently enough that I can drive it.

The good;
Other than the idle burble it runs awesome, clean smooth power throughout the whole RPM range.

I'm waiting of complete rebuild kits now and will go through my Weber stash for a better body with less corrosion in it.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #51
71mtnscout

I rebuilt the new design Weber that was leaking and this is a completely different 32/36 than the 4 Spanish versions that I have stock piled, so there's a bit of a learning curve on it, and first run with it newly rebuilt was a failure. My idle jets are to small and it's running REALLY lean according to the plugs and how it drives. Pulled it off and replaced it with the early version that I had already rebuilt, it wasn't jetted right, but I have a ton of jets for that model, and here is where I ended up. I need to do an AFR gauge to get it better, but it's running pretty good like this. Primary is 75 idle, 165 main, 180 air corrector/ Secondary is 70 idle, 160 main, 170 air corrector. With this jetting the volume screw is just under 1.5 turns out, that's within spec, and there is no hesitations during off idle transition or when the secondary comes in. An off idle full throttle hit doesn't report a lean cough, and acceleration is smooth with no hesitations right up to redline. It doesn't smell rich and the plugs seem happy with it. I will do a mileage check over the next few weeks and see if it's still in the 18-19 mpg on the highway, but I'm callin it good for now...at least till I do an AFR.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #52
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

If you look at my thread about tuning a Holley 390cfm 4bbl carb, I believe that I went over the AFR setup I made for under $20. It worked great.
FDChappie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #53
71mtnscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDChappie View Post
If you look at my thread about tuning a Holley 390cfm 4bbl carb, I believe that I went over the AFR setup I made for under $20. It worked great.
thanks, I'll check it out