IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Build-Ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Member Number: 3
Default ihpartsChads Custom ScoutII Build

Some or most of you May recognize this build from the bp or the old bb. I am starting the process of transferring my build thread over here from bp. I will continue to update that build as well but this is my home and so the build should be housed here. I will be changing some of the pictures but the text up to date should be the same. Thanks in advance for checking it out and your comments!

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 11-30-2012 at 08:23 AM..
ihpartschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Default Re: IHPA Chads Custom ScoutII Build

So after many months of talking about it, planning it and getting around to it, I finally brought my Scout home from Jeff's to get to work on it. Jeff and I have been talking about this since April and it is finally time to do something about it. First let me qualify this build with what my goals for this truck are. I am going to try to build something that is very capable in many different areas but not hardcore in any of them. This has always been the way I have wanted to build a Scout. I want to be able to take my Scout on a trail and then get in it and go to work in it on Monday if I want. I will be doing quite a bit of towing with it, camping with the family, some of it many states away so it will also need to be comfortable to drive and ride in. We love to go play in the snow so it will see many trips up to the hills in the winter and spring. I think that you get what I am trying to achieve here, a truly sport utility Scout. So the following is the current plans for the build. The plans are very fluid but the goal for and purpose of the Scout will remain the same. Obviously there are many little things that I am going to do along the way and will document and publish photos in this write up as they make their way onto the Scout. This is basically just a high level overview of what I intend to do.

Running gear
I intend to run the stock 304 / 727 / 20 combo for now. I will someday hopefully add a 700r4 into the mix along with a Jeep 300.
The 304 is going to get a rpt aluminum manifold, TBI, new gaskets, prestolite disy, freeze plugs and obviously check tolerances. Will also be adding headers and new exhaust. I also intend to set the motor down and back about an inch in the frame. I will be using rpt motor and tranny mounts and a 33 gallon tank.

SOA front 44 with 4.88's and a power loc Chevy brakes and the heavy duty 3/8" thick diffy cover. This will also feature the new IH Parts America reverse shackle kit, shock towers and bump stops. I intend to run the bilstien 5150s. Will need to have a long travel drive line made. I briefly considered making a square tube drive line but decided that there May be times when I want to use 4 high at speed so that ruled out the square one.

SOA rear 60, 35 spline alloy shafts with a power loc (still not 100% on the locker) and disk brakes.

This will all run on 36x12.5/15 swamper radials. Not sure on the rims yet, they are mounted on a set that are decent but May want something newer and more shinny.

I am going to start with a frame, either pull the fame out of this Scout and start there or more probably grab a frame from the stack and start with it then lift the tub off and set it on the new frame when I am ready for it. This will allow me to do most of the suspension and engine placement without the tub being in the way.

I will be working on the interior at the same time as the suspension and plans include sound and heat deading insulation to the tub and top. Carpet kit, custom front seat and the IHPA dash kit. I am still looking at gauges, having a hard time with the price on those. I will be putting in a family cage that Jeff and I are going to develop/design. It also needs to have a decent sound system.
Exterior is going to be pretty tame. Silver with black accents such as fender flares and ss II grill insert is the current plan. I am going to attempt the body and paint myself due to budget constraints.

Below is basically what I am starting with. I had planned on getting some pics of it the way it sat before a wrench touched it but got a little too trigger happy and forgot. So here it is with the hood and grill pulled off.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

So after getting the interior, fenders, doors and cowl off I am extremely happy with the body on this Scout. The only problem area is on the driver floor. I will have to cut out some rust and weld in a new piece but that is it. The rest of the tub as you can see below is totally cherry. The other problem area that I will have to address is the rear wheel wells. The po put in some patch panels but obviously did not have access to a welder so he simply riveted them into place. The up side is he took the time to cut out the rust, not just patch over it so it is just a matter of fixing properly what he started.

Update 09: later on you will see that I swithed tubs as this one was much worse than I initially thought.

Last edited by ihpartschad; 02-09-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

I was amazed at how unmolested this Scout is. In fact it has the factory exhaust system with IH mufflers. There has been virtually no tampering with the running gear.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Now that I have got the frame totally stripped I have started working on the upgrades. First thing that I wanted to do was gusset the rear spring hangers and box them in. I wanted this to look as finished as possible. These pictures show what process I took. I did not just grind the welds smooth but actually sanded the metal to give it the smooth finished look. At the same time I made a set of motor mounts for the frame using some gussets and plate. I wanted to move the motor back and down an inch over all to help with center of gravity issues and driveling lengths. I had to use all kinds of ratchets straps and jacks plus the cherry picker in order to get the motor exactly where I wanted it to tack in the mounts but I am very happy with the results. I will be building a custom cross member for it later.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Few more shots

Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

I have done some cleaning and painting recently. I sanded and painted to 33 gallon tank as well as the hitch. I decided to paint the frame flat black and the bolt on stuff I.e. Gas tank, hitch, springs semi gloss. I hope this gives it a powdercoated look. I have mounted the hitch using updated and over sized hardware and the gas tank is now mounted.

Update 09: I am missing these photos, I will try to find them and post them up later.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

I was able to locate a set of rancho springs for the rear. I have removed 1 spring and will be running them on the rear. I sanded and painted them and put new bushings in. Also picked up a set of rancho ton front Chevy 4” lift springs for the front and will be running them with a modified IHPA reverse shackle kit. They are 48” long 2 wide. I had to cut the IH only front hanger in half and increase the width to 3” inside to fit the new Chevy springs. After this was done I figured out the placement of the “fangs” and had Jeff stop by to give me the thumbs up. After some fine tuning per Jeff’s instructions I welded them into place. I still need to weld in the tube gussets and the final piece that attaches to the frame but the hard part is done. At the same time I welded some 2” x “ strap to the top and bottom of the frame to reinforce the bumper attach points. I also welded in some dom tubing to act as a sleeve for a “ bolt. This plus a couple of other attach points should provide plenty of strength for the bumper and winch.

Update 09: here again I am missing some photos and will have to upload them later.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

This is the 60 housing all stripped and ready to start setting up with new ends, 4.88 gears 35 spline power lock and Dutchman axles. Hope to have more done on this by next week.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Default Re: IHOChads Custom ScoutII Build

I also started tearing down the motor. I was a little discouraged by the amount of sludge in the motor. It ran pretty good so I am just going to freshen it up and squeeze another 100k out of it I hope.

Last edited by ihpartschad; 02-11-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Got quite a bit done on the rear end this weekend. The 60 housing was bent a little more than I expected so it took Jeff and I some time to get that straight. We put on the new set 20 ends and set up the power lock. Also took measurements for my axles. Those will be on order this week. Does't look like a lot of progress but it is a big step.

Update 09: again need to find the pictures
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Ok so I am not getting this converted over nearly as fast as I'd hoped. Just too much going on right now. But I do want to give you guys an update on the current status of this build. This thing is really coming together. Check out how it looks today.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
reuben

Member Number: 35

Looks very good, that hood is nice.

http://www.thisdysfunctional.org

http://www.norcalscouts.com

reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #14
ronmc1954

Member Number: 499
Default Re: IHOChads Custom ScoutII Build

Wow Chad, that is turning out great. I like the color and the custom lights and tail gate insert. That's going to be one sharp Scout.
Ron

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
1965 1 ton IH Pickup (sold)
ronmc1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

Nice side marker lights! I seem to recognize those a little bit....

That paint looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote