IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
Justutt67

Member Number: 5547
Default Wiper motor wiring ?

Anyone have a Scout II wiper motor out of their Scout that they can look at and tell me if mine is wired right? I took my wiper motor in for a rebuild and now I only have one speed. It worked before I took it in but was very sluggish. Now it's smooth but one speed. I'm thinking one of the leads is soldered to the wrong terminal but I want to double check. It has the green wire to a terminal all by itself which is the park wire. The black wire to the center terminal which is high speed and the red to the upper part of the right terminal which is low speed. The motor red is connected to the pigtail red and the motor black connected to the pigtail black but there is a jumper wire going from black to the bottom of the far right terminal where the red is. Is this correct?

Last edited by Justutt67; 06-07-2017 at 08:00 AM..
Justutt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Justutt67

Default Re: Wiper motor wiring ?

Well it May be the Kwikwire switch I installed. Not sure how a Scout wiper motor gets its speeds. If it needs to have power to 2 terminals at once my switch isn't doing that. It sends 12v to the low terminal on low and 12v to the hi terminal on high. I never get 12v to the park terminal ever.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
Justutt67

Well I think I figured this out. Hope this helps someone else who May run into this. Turns out the Kwikwire wiper switch I bought and installed isn't compatible with the Scout wiper motor cause it needs power to both the black and red wires at the same time to give the low setting and to the black only for the high setting. I would also need to run a jumper wire from the fused and key on switched battery power wire on the back of the switch to the park terminal so the green wire always has power with key on otherwise wipers won't park. So I need to figure out a new switch or a newer style motor.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

It's been our experience that using the original wiper switch with the original wiper motor is the best solution. Feel free to call our parts department if you would like us to source you a good used switch.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Justutt67

Thanks Jeff definitely need a Scout wiper switch to run a Scout wiper motor.

Since I would have needed a (new to me used Scout wiper motor and switch) I decided to try something else. Through lots of Internet searches and bench testing I have successfully mated a Jeep XJ wiper motor to my Scout II. It is a 5 wire motor so it takes a little more wiring but nothing major. I have taken pictures and will post a full write up soon. All that is needed is a wiper switch, Jeep wiper motor (I bought one from Napa), a relay, and 3 metric bolts and a metric nut. I have hi speed, low speed, and self park. The relay is for the self park function.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justutt67 View Post
Thanks Jeff definitely need a Scout wiper switch to run a Scout wiper motor.

Since I would have needed a (new to me used Scout wiper motor and switch) I decided to try something else. Through lots of Internet searches and bench testing I have successfully mated a Jeep XJ wiper motor to my Scout II. It is a 5 wire motor so it takes a little more wiring but nothing major. I have taken pictures and will post a full write up soon. All that is needed is a wiper switch, Jeep wiper motor (I bought one from Napa), a relay, and 3 metric bolts and a metric nut. I have hi speed, low speed, and self park. The relay is for the self park function.
Good deal! I like hearing about creative solutions to problems like this. Yes please do post a write up when you have a chance.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Justutt67

Here is the link to the write up I posted it on Binder Planet. Hope this helps someone down the road.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/i...trofit.136139/