IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Brake Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-09-2017, 03:41 AM   #1
Zackaddict

Member Number: 8593
Default 66 scout 800 weak front brake help.

Hey guys.
I have a dual master cylinder all disc brake Scout 800
I Just rebuilt my brakes. The front wheel cylinders had popped so I replaced them. I've bleed the lines a few times now and adjusted the adjuster screws as much as I could but when I push the brake pedal down as far as I can the front tires can still be turned by hand.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should try? I'm not sure if I still just have air in the line or in the master cylinder maybe. The rear brakes work great. Im also wondering if maybe the front portion of the master cylinder might be bad. Not sure how to check.
Zackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: 66 scout 800 weak front brake help.

Can you first clear up what you have parts wise? The way I'm reading your post is that you have a Scout 800 with a dual reservoir master cylinder and 4-wheel disc brakes. But then you mentioned a wheel cylinder popped out??

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Zackaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
Can you first clear up what you have parts wise? The way I'm reading your post is that you have a Scout 800 with a dual reservoir master cylinder and 4-wheel disc brakes. But then you mentioned a wheel cylinder popped out??
Oh yeah sorry for the confusion. The wheel cylinder in the drum brakes themselves popped.

I have a dual reservoir brake master cylinder.

Also it's a Dana 27 front end. Not sure if that helps at all or not

Last edited by Zackaddict; 06-09-2017 at 09:51 AM..
Old 06-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Have someone apply pressure to the brake pedal while you crack each line coming out of the master cylinder. If you have pressure at each line move on down the line until you stop seeing pressure at a connection. If you don't have pressure at one of the master cylinder ports then you either need to try bleeding the master cylinder again or you have a bad master cylinder.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
(530)274-1795
Old 06-10-2017, 02:44 AM   #5
Zackaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
Have someone apply pressure to the brake pedal while you crack each line coming out of the master cylinder. If you have pressure at each line move on down the line until you stop seeing pressure at a connection. If you don't have pressure at one of the master cylinder ports then you either need to try bleeding the master cylinder again or you have a bad master cylinder.

I haven't had a chance to do this yet but on a side note I noticed when I forgot to put the cover back on my master cylinder and pushed the brake that the front reservoir squirted brake fluid in a line out of the master cylinder. The back reservoir didn't do that. I know you need the cover on for proper pressure but I'm wondering if the fluid that shot out could have been caused by the plunger in the front of the master cylinder letting brake fluid by. Or this could just be how it works. Lol no idea.

I'll try bleeding each line down the line as you suggested tonight. Thanks for you input so far! I appreciate it
Old 06-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

If you don't see any movement on one of the reservoirs when pushing in the brakes then chances are it is bad and internally leaking. Again, crack the lines coming out of the master cylinder. If you get no fluid out of the one line when pressing on the brakes then you've most likely diagnosed your problem.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
(530)274-1795