IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transfer Case Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #91
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: Dana/Spicer Transfer Case Guapo

It's been awhile since I have seen it, but I have actually seen a semi thick washer get placed between the bull gear and nut that holds it in place onto the output shaft of trans. The id was just large enough to slide over and clear the splines of output shaft, and just thick enough to clear them.

As Jeff mentioned, call up the manufacturer and see what they say.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #92
Hondo

Member Number: 4714

I like scooter's idea, but think that washer would be pretty hard to find, and the tips of the retaining nut would barely touch the id of the washer. Mine has a thick washer, but the hole fits the threaded end of the shaft. Am going with Jeff's idea. Ordered some .020"' thick 1.375" id hardened shaft spacers from mcmaster. Will install one between the back of the bull gear and the long spacer that the rear seal rides on. This is kind of no mans land between the tranny and the transfer case, but the IH d20 and d300 service manuals have cross sections that show the bull gears being a little longer than the splined section of the t19 output shafts, leaving a small gap as seen in my previous post. Think this is pretty important because both the stock d300 bull gear, and the new tl d300 bull gears actually rock a tad on the t19 splined shafts when installed without the nut. Think the 200-300 ftlb torque is to make sure everything is well compressed on the t19 output shaft, and ensure no endplay. Also would appreciate it if someone could please educate me on how to upload multiple pictures so they open with the post so you don't have to open separate attachments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TLD300Bull.jpg (61.9 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg D20Xsection.jpg (37.4 KB, 183 views)
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 07-13-2015 at 06:37 AM..
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #93
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

I edited your post to show the pictures. Maybe now if you try and edit the post you can see what I did to make your pictures appear. In a nutshell once you have downloaded your pictures right click on it and copy the image link. Then go to the little mountain picture about where you are writing and click on that. Past the image link in there and it will now appear wherever the cursor was last blinking in the text field. Hope that all made sense.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #94
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Honestly, I donít recall where I have seen that washer I mentioned previously. But I am curious as to what teraflex says about the hieght difference between the oem and teralo bull gear
you reminded me that I have the tera low kit for the d-20. And got me wondering if the the bull gear in my kit is similar to yours. I will need to compare and see
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #95
Hondo

Member Number: 4714

D300 with 4:1 Terra Lows, Advanced Adapters heavy duty output shaft, twin sticked. Have about 15K miles on complete rebuild. Getting a weird growl when I take my foot out of the gas, and again when I step back on the gas, but only happens at freeway speeds - above about 50 mph. This is happening in 2 hi. No noise at low speeds around town, or cruising steady state at freeway speeds. Changed the fluid a few weeks ago. Saw a little fuzz on the pan magnet, less than I expected for first oil change after new gears and bearings. Getting ready to pull the cover and take a closer look. About the only thing I can figure, is one of the set screws holding the shifter forks is loose, or maybe one of the nylon bushings that go on the ends of the shift forks and ride in the slider gear grooves broke and fell out. If anyone has any suggestions for anything else to look for while I'm poking around in there let me know.
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote