IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #76
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453
Default Re: Need help with vacuum advance with 304 and 2300 Holley

The reason for asking about what those other two stock gauges are doing is to rule out potential variables. Those gauges are fed power through a communal device known as a constant voltage regulator (CVR). It reduces/regulates the 12V B+ input down to an average 5V output. The gauges would fry instantly if subjected to the full load. So when all three gauges read erratically or not at all, that CVR is high on the short list of suspects. If only one gauge seems to be odd while the others seem normal, that means the CVR is fine and the reason for the one gauge reading wonkily will take further scratching and sniffing to home in on. Could be the lone gauge itself. Could be the sender for the gauge. Could be wiring/connector(s) in between the two. Or...it could just be that all of that stuff is good and the gauge is actually giving an accurate reading of a problem within the engine.

Aftermarket gauge installation is fairly intuitive. The tube/sender feeds are passed through a suitable hole in the firewall that will make the routing as direct as possible between where the sender locations and the area below the dash where the gauges are to be mounted, if a permanent installation is desired. Avoid wrapping sender lines around the steering column and try to keep them well away from exhaust manifolds. For a new OP sender, you should be able to find another oil gallery location very near where the stock sender location is. It will be plugged with a small, square head pipe plug. That way, you can have both OP gauges working for comparison sake. The AM coolant temp sender will have a metal probe with a threaded nut above it. I've always been able to find a location besides the hole where the stock temp sender is located, that penetrates a coolant passage for the AM sender. Again, allowing me to have the comparative redundancy of stock plus AM. In some cases, it has required a trip to the hardware store to purchase the right combination of pipe fittings, reducers, adapters and such to make it work. It was all trial, error and experimentation on my part. I had no primer to guide my steps. If you don't think you're all that resourceful right now, just hang onto that Scout for awhile, and your self-reliant, resourceful muscle will begin to flex!

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #77
428street

Member Number: 7660

All good points. I have an extra OPG for sure but I was thinking the sender as well. I know this is trial and error. I'll try the gauge first and I have it already and other then my time no cost. If I get same type of reading, I'll go to sender. I traced it down to right behind the motor mount area. It looks ancient. Wiring does look good from what I can see but certainly wouldn't hurt to cut and put new end on. Basically, I have to eliminate variables like any basic troubleshooting methodology. I'm not certain the OPG i have it any good either (extra one) so it begs that maybe I start with the sender. Six of one...The speedo is an issue as well and I also have an extra one of those so while I am in the panel I'll see if I can fix that as well...Maybe swap OPG and speedo and see what I get.

Good advice on a new OPG and keeping the old one to compare as well as the temp gauge.

Is the CVR the rectangular box on the left side of the fire wall? If yes, I replaced that in my normal tune-up regime.

Still waiting for carb and dwell meter...

BTW, I'm getting more and more mechanical ba$$s so to speak thanks to you and others that are helping.
428street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #78
Scoutboy74

No, the CVR is small and rectangular shaped and will be found attached to the printed circuit board (PCB) of the OIL/TEMP gauge cluster. I don't know what you replaced, but a picture could prolly ID it.
Yep, I know you are. These are great platforms to learn on. Not so sufistumukaytid that you need a whole bunch of high fangledy whiz bangs an doo-dads to work on 'em. I know your technical jargon vocabulary is also growing in volumes thanks almost entirely to me. I iz collidge edjewmuhkaytid. I just try to hide it as much as I can.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 07-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #79
428street

Member Number: 7660

pretty sure I replaced the voltage regulator but I will take a pic and send...lmfao...

I gotz a colidge educmacation 2...for whatever dat is worth...actually my degree is in bidness but my career is in IT...
428street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #80
Scoutboy74

Well, it probably was the VR for the alternator charging system. I had to go back and remind myself that this isn't a Scout II that has an internally regulated alternator. Be that as it may, the CVR for the gauges is an entirely different critter.