IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
harrywt

Member Number: 1181
Default Wiring Sanity Check SII

So I started the final phase of prep to move to la, replacing all of the decrepit wiring. I will post a complete sequence but I need opinions quickly.

As I have done before I made up a couple of plates to cover the bulkhead connector holes. The plates have round holes with grommets to protect the wires. The round holes are much easier to plug up with some foam to cut out drafts.

I have been dry fitting the part of the harness that goes to the rear of the truck. First of all I hate the waste of running all of the wires over the top of the steering wheel frame. So I plan to go through the holes shown in the pics. I put arrows in there also. The only moving part is the brake linkage bell crank and I am pretty sure I can protect the wires from that, it has very limited movement.

If I was home I think that I would cut new holes in the frame and even put a pvc or metal tube across, but if my aunt had balls....

I like to run all the wires inside the frame to protect them. In the past I used existing holes but now I want to drill a new hole in the frame so that I can more cleanly route the harness and not have it "flapping in the breeze" so much.

What do you think of making a 1" hole in the top or outboard side of the frame? What do you think of any part of this?

Name:  2017-03-19 12.03.42.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  2017-03-19 12.04.16.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  2017-03-22 15.42.26.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  2017-03-22 15.38.18a.jpg
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  2017-03-22 15.38.29a.jpg
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  2017-03-22 15.38.36a.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  2017-03-22 15.39.07.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  2017-03-22 15.39.11a.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  46.3 KB

Last edited by harrywt; 03-21-2017 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: original post writing interrupted somehow and only few words typed in
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Wiring Sanity Check SII

Your arrows pointing to locations where you want to run the wiring looks fine. Try if you can to use grommets where the wiring is going to pass thru the column mount. As for drilling the hole in the top of the frame I would not do that as it will be easier for dirt and mud to enter the frame. Instead I would use the factory hole on the passenger side outer frame rail to run the wiring into the frame.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
harrywt

Hi there,
thats what I usually do. The hole in question is somewhat forward of the firewall so the wires hang in space a bit. If I make hole in the location shown the wires can be captured down along the firewall

what about drilling on the outside of the frame? I put an arrow there.

Also there is a hole on top on the driver's side in the similar location. I did a dry fit there but it's just so busy that I went back to the passenger side.

I thought about the dirt part. The hole on top on the driver's side surprised me and gave me the idea to drill on the passenger side.

So again, what do you think of a hole on the outboard side of the frame?

Best,
harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
your arrows pointing to locations where you want to run the wiring looks fine. Try if you can to use grommets where the wiring is going to pass thru the column mount. As for drilling the hole in the top of the frame I would not do that as it will be easier for dirt and mud to enter the frame. Instead I would use the factory hole on the passenger side outer frame rail to run the wiring into the frame.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
harrywt

This is what I mean by hanging in space a bit

Name:  2017-03-23 08.04.40a.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  53.5 KB
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

I don't see any problem with drilling a hole further back like where you pointed at. I agree it would clean up the wiring but not having it hang in outer space. My only suggestion would be to drill that hole as far back as you can and closer to the body mount. Reason is in case one day you decide to put one of our reverse shackle kits on you are not going to want to h redo the wiring in order to make room for the frame hole to be drilled.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
harrywt

I've been thinking about the reverse shackle for sure. I was going to cheat the hole a bit further forward than ideal for that reason. Never occurred to me to push it back some. I was studying installs and instructions to get a feel for where the mount would go.

In your install post you imply that the wiring through the frame can co exist with the reverse shackle. I have re read your words below and I am almost certain you mean that I don't want my clever new hole to be smack dab in the reverse shackle mounting point. That it's okay if it is forward of that point otherwise.

Thanks for feedback, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
I don't see any problem with drilling a hole further back like where you pointed at. I agree it would clean up the wiring but not having it hang in outer space. My only suggestion would be to drill that hole as far back as you can and closer to the body mount. Reason is in case one day you decide to put one of our reverse shackle kits on you are not going to want to h redo the wiring in order to make room for the frame hole to be drilled.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
Justutt67

Member Number: 5547

What if you need to take the body off the frame at some point? Won't it be a pain in the butt if you run wires through the frame?

Last edited by Justutt67; 04-17-2017 at 05:59 PM..
Justutt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
harrywt

Yes it will be but the protection of the wires outweighs the small possibility. If I ever did a frame off cutting and re splicing the harness would be small compared to the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by justutt67 View Post
what if you need to take the body off the frame at some point? Won't it be a pain in the but if you run wires through the frame?

Tags
electrical, harness, routing, wiring