IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #91
Mastiff

Member Number: 448
Default Re: Before and After of My Scout 80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kenney View Post
no because I am generally happy with the Scout's ride quality. Also the rev shackle requires major irreversible mods which I refuse to do. Unless it is a bolt on/off deal I won't do it.
Somehow I don't believe that... But it sounds like the rev shackle thing is more to smooth out the ride than to improve handling? Not sure. I still need to figure out why my handling seems to have gone down the tubes with the lift. I was driving through a construction zone with narrow, bumpy road in between barriers and it was kind of scary.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #92
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff View Post
somehow I don't believe that...

I have said from the begining that other that bump steer which I am fixing the ride firmness is generaly ok. I have not ever cut my Scout for a mod and kept all oem parts including the springs.

I drove it as it is now to mammoth and back some 700 miles and it was ok even with the Lancaster cross wind.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #93
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
I do not like to post in Robert's ride thread, so I will delete this post later today ...

Do not know much about lifts, but from reading other people's post...

You have a steering geometry problem (one "symptom" is what Robert states is bump steer) and / or an alignment problem...

A reverse shackle kit will not fix a steering geometry problem or an alignment problem.

Robert's bump steer problem is probably "manageable" to him because his lift is not as "high" as yours... But, he still plans on fixing it
Not to contradict your post Robert but mastiff actually has a slightly shorter lift then I do, by no more 1/4" from the details he has posted. I suspect as you have said that it can be dialed in fairly easily ans is a geometry issue but not caster as he has the caster correction I do. Might be a steering box lash issue. I am sure he is suffering from bump-steer though.

Mastiff - I know your box is in good working order but you might add 1/8 turn more preload to it and see if that helps.

I would like these be moved to a post to address mastiff's specific problems and that way he can get the help he needs.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 06-24-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #94
Mastiff

Quote:

I have said from the begining that other that bump steer which I am fixing the ride firmness is generaly ok. I have not ever cut my Scout for a mod and kept all oem parts including the springs.

I drove it as it is now to mammoth and back some 700 miles and it was ok even with the Lancaster cross wind.
I just meant that was a strange statement (only doing bolt ons) coming from a guy who machines his own stuff, but then I haven't heard you mention doing anything that isn't reversible, as you say above. Certainly no offense intended.

I think I've got 1/4" of lift on you at best, so my issue must be something a little more subtle. I won't clutter your thread with that though.

Edit: we're posting simultaneously. Now that you mention it, I guess my shackles were shorter than your, not longer. You May have 1/4" on me. Either way, that's probably not the issue.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #95
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

No offence taken.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #96
Mastiff

Quote:
I saw the 235 and it looked funny and would be a stretch for the rim.
The 16" rim was a conscious decision because of and along with the tire availability. I felt like this while I went back and forth. .........
Did you just think the 235 looked too skinny? I have 35x9.5" tires on my pickup and like the look. I'm trying to decide what to do now since jc whitney canceled my tire order. Apparently, the swamper factory is down for ~6 months. I'm returning my 15" rims and am back to square one. The 235/85r16 is very close in size to the swamper I picked, but then I never saw that one in person either.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #97
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
did you just think the 235 looked too skinny? I have 35x9.5" tires on my pickup and like the look. I'm trying to decide what to do now since jc whitney canceled my tire order. Apparently, the swamper factory is down for ~6 months. I'm returning my 15" rims and am back to square one. The 235/85r16 is very close in size to the swamper I picked, but then I never saw that one in person either.
Sorry dude , I missed your post. Out to lunch I guess.

I was worried to have a funny side wall bulge. I like to see the side wall a bit rounded. To get that the tread will need to be close to the rim width give or take 1/2". All I can say if give her a try, can't tell till you mount'em and bolt them on whether you will like them.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #98
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Tie rod flip is complete. I have some commitments that are high priority but after working on those all weekend I figured since Monday was a dayoff from work I'd finish this project up.

Bump steer is gone I am happy to say. I had an issue with the tierod/draglink interface hitting the shock when close to the right turn screw stop. Scared me for a bit but I was able to shift tie tierod over toward the passenger side and it goes right around the shock and hits the stop easily.

I won't build this again. Way to much machining to make my self happy. But...... Its driving again.

of course some pictures....... I've got to wire brush and paint the fa when I have time

Name:  P1010414 (Medium).JPG
Views: 905
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  P1010418 (Medium).JPG
Views: 839
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  P1010419 (Medium).JPG
Views: 840
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  P1010420 (Medium).JPG
Views: 857
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  P1010430 (Medium).JPG
Views: 840
Size:  64.6 KB

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 06-07-2016 at 05:31 AM..
Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #99
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Supernice!

So what you really mean is...ya ain't gonna put this guapo in production anytime soon?

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #100
Mastiff

That looks like a first class job. Very nice!

If you need a tester for a Dana 30 version, let me know. :d
Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #101
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

Nice setup! You could post a how-to.
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #102
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Drove it to work/back and around a bunch, it's definitely way better. From what I can measure with a tape I have about 3/16 toe in. It's still a Scout but a Scout with good road manners. Now time to make her an athletic Scout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
supernice!

So what you really mean is...ya ain't gonna put this guapo in production anytime soon?
Well for right now anyway. Who knows what will end up happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71mtnscout View Post
nice setup! You could post a how-to.
Really a simple install once the machine work is done. Sure you will see it at a club meeting or function. Can see what I mean then.

Quote:
that looks like a first class job. Very nice!

If you need a tester for a Dana 30 version, let me know. :d
A closed knuckle d30? Should be very close if not exactly the same as a d27 in the steering linkage area. So test in progress.

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 07-07-2010 at 07:19 AM..
Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #103
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Here is the official complete LST I got from the whs archives.
Hope you can read it as it is resized.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #104
angels-zero

Member Number: 3171
Default Windshield frame latch

Hey Robert- f'in awesome job on the Scout, man. Well done.
Also, any way you could "repop" me one of those windshield frame latch doohickeys? One unobtanium piece at a time,right? Have money, will travel...

Last edited by angels-zero; 05-01-2011 at 10:12 PM..
angels-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #105
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

One of those can be aquired via other channles. Each scrapped Scout 80 has one and the time to make one is not justified. All I'd do would be to find a frame and grind off the little welds then weld it on your Scout. Even better swap in a new frame. Probably a 1-2 hour job tops. That will remove the extra holes.