IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #46
Korllach

Member Number: 1098
Default Re: Before and After of My Scout 80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71mtnscout
hey Robert thats almost exactly what I want my 64 80 that I'm picking up next month to sit! Do you know what springs are on it? What size tires are you running? Mine will have the "pretty" part down, but doesnt have the stance
This question. Sorry mastiff, I should have clarified.
Korllach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #47
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by korllach View Post
all of your questions are answered a few times in the posts right above yours.
Dont know how I missed it..................I must be gettin old!

did ihon ever get the lift springs off the ground that you talked about earlier in the thread? I dont see them on the website.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #48
Mastiff

Member Number: 448

So it sounds like you are getting away with 3+ inches of total lift, though with an annoying amount of bumpsteer, if I understand right. Isn't it possible to get a draglink with a bend in it to help?

Regarding shackles, if lift springs are custom made for the application, can't they be made longer so the shackle doesn't need to take up any extra length (can be in a good spot with vehicle level on flat ground)?

Did you use any shims to help with pinion angles?

Thanks for the help.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #49
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71mtnscout View Post
did ihon ever get the lift springs off the ground that you talked about earlier in the thread? I dont see them on the website.
Great question to ask Jeff. I really don't know as much of the new product has yet to be added to the online store

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #50
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff View Post
So it sounds like you are getting away with 3+ inches of total lift, though with an annoying amount of bumpsteer, if I understand right. Isn't it possible to get a draglink with a bend in it to help?
Wha you are discribing is a droped drag link (shaped like a z) they do npthing to lessen bumpsteer. It is the angle of a plane through the box end of the drag link and the tierod end not the shape of the drag link.. Seems like it would help but if you lay it out it becomes clear.

Quote:
Regarding shackles, if lift springs are custom made for the application, can't they be made longer so the shackle doesn't need to take up any extra length (can be in a good spot with vehicle level on flat ground)?

Did you use any shims to help with pinion angles?

Thanks for the help.
How much longer the springs are made you May get away with the stock shackles but the longer spring has a longer range of motion and to flex fully will require a longer shackle. I May go with a longer/taller spring eventually and am ready with my longer shackle.

Yes caster/pinion angle must be compensated for by using angle shims.. I used 3 in the front and 4 1/2 degree in the rear.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 03-25-2010 at 06:10 AM..
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #51
RobertC

Member Number: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kenney View Post
yes caster/pinion angle must be compensated for by using angle shims.. I used 3 in the rear and 4 1/2 degree in the rear.
So, that means you have a total of 7 1/2 degrees in the rear???
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #52
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
so, that means you have a total of 7 1/2 degrees in the rear???
Yea and it is squirrley as a sumbitch....................

Thanks for the catch.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #53
MITCH NEAL

Member Number: 91

This is a great thread, and a great looking truck Robert!

I just want to mention that I have the same suspension w/ conn ferr shackles (same length) on my 800 v8, and there are different problems. Bump steer is not a problem, because the v8 has the steering box on the other side of the frame, and the drag link angle is less. However, you need to move the rear axle foward 1" or it will rub. The v8s also have to shim the front. I didn't shim the rear, and haven't had any problems. It has a little over 20k miles on the suspension with no problems and mine actually rides better than the original suspension did.

Just wanted to mention this in case someone was working with a v8 800.
MITCH NEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #54
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch neal View Post
I just want to mention that I have the same suspension w/ conn ferr shackles (same length) on my 800 v8, and there are different problems. However, you need to move the rear axle foward 1" or it will rub.
Thanks mitch,

I have seen many 800's that have the rear axle set rear of the quarter panel opening. Funky look imo. Maybe this is what you are refering to.

My rear set up fine so I don't believe the 80 suffers from any of those problems.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #55
MITCH NEAL

Member Number: 91

You are right, they moved the rear axle back 1" on the v8s/i6s, with the lift and tires that I am using, I had to get that 1" of clearance back. It is only a problem with the v8 800s and i6 800s. 4cyl 800s don't have the problem either.
MITCH NEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #56
stu simpson

Member Number: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch neal View Post
you are right, they moved the rear axle back 1" on the v8s/i6s, with the lift and tires that I am using, I had to get that 1" of clearance back. It is only a problem with the v8 800s and i6 800s. 4cyl 800s don't have the problem either.
Actually they moved the body forward for engine compartment clearance, not the axle rearward. If I hadn't cut up those two bare frames I could have shown how the body mounts are in different spots.
stu simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #57
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu simpson View Post
actually they moved the body forward for engine compartment clearance, not the axle rearward. If I hadn't cut up those two bare frames I could have shown how the body mounts are in different spots.
Interesting that the fa is still centered in its respective fender well but the ra is not.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #58
Mastiff

Robert, I forgot to ask, how do you like the mr. Scout springs? I heard they are very stiff. (I assume I can ask this since afaik ihon doesn't offer s80 lift springs.)
Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #59
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Robert, I forgot to ask, how do you like the mr. Scout springs? I heard they are very stiff. (I assume I can ask this since afaik ihon doesn't offer s80 lift springs.)
I suppose it is all relative. I had the super heavy rear springs that came with the d44 and they were stupidly stiff. The ms spring is way better. Also adding the bilsteins Jeff got for me really helped limit the bounciness.

Not a lot of options with the 80 setup.. Short and narrow spring, limits the design to a thicker leaf thus a higher rate and somewhat stiffer ride. Of course if you didn't care to ever put and weight in it you can build a spring pack with thinner leafs and lower rate for a softer ride.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #60
Mastiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kenney View Post
I suppose it is all relative. I had the super heavy rear springs that came with the d44 and they were stupidly stiff. The ms spring is way better. Also adding the bilsteins Jeff got for me really helped limit the bounciness.

Not a lot of options with the 80 setup.. Short and narrow spring, limits the design to a thicker leaf thus a higher rate and somewhat stiffer ride. Of course if you didn't care to ever put and weight in it you can build a spring pack with thinner leafs and lower rate for a softer ride.
A guy on another forum is claiming that the mr Scout springs are just Skyjacker cj5 springs. Anyone know if this is the case? No need to pay an unnecessary markup.

I kind of doubt the claim because most things I've read about using Jeep springs on a Scout have not been good. Like that they sag in short order. What makes a Scout so much heavier than a Jeep anyway?