IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #31
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: Before and After of My Scout 80 CS

Michael, thank you for the compliment. I am enjoying it a lot more since finishing it. Well are they ever really finished?

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #32
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

I have been asked a few times about the top on my Scout so I decided to post some pictures of the structure that connects it the window to the roll bar. It also gives the top some shape. The verticle side flaps (I guess you'd call them that) cover the upper edge of the roll up window when it is up to prevent rain from getting in. I built the tube structure but had the top custom made at a local canvas and upholstery shop for $100.00 including installing and placing the snaps.

Name:  P1010054 (Large).jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  P1010055 (Large).jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  P1010057 (Large).jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  P1010060 (Large).jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  59.9 KB

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 02-03-2016 at 07:09 AM..
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
Josh Brown

Member Number: 876

What a beauty!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #34
nico9

Member Number: 982

Where did you find the bikini top for it ive been looking for one for a while now and can only find them for the Scout 2
nico9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #35
Matt Main

Member Number: 446

Quote:
I built the tube structure but had the top custom made at a local canvas and upholstery shop for $100.00
Matt Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #36
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

What Matt said I said.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #37
mcsmythe

Member Number: 650

Every time I look at this thread, you're rig inspires me to get working on mine Robert. What kind of lift do you have and what size tires?

1961 Scout 80 half-top, 152, Weber DGV, T14, Spicer18 with Ramsey 8000# PTO winch, front Dana 27 with PowerLok, rear Dana 44 with Detroit, and multiple gun racks..............
mcsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #38
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Thanks' if I can help get more scouts or any IH on the road for that matter I am happy.. I need to finish it though as the dash and window frames are rough still.

I have mr Scout 2 1/2" lift springs and another 1" net lift from longer shackles. The tires are 32x10x16. It really needs a bit more lift for the tires because it will rub at the extreme right or left stop.

Jeff has talked about offering a ihon custom made lift spring set for the 80/800 with around 3 1/2 " of lift that will net 4 1/2 inches with the needed longer shackle. Call him and see if he has them yet.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #39
cal4wheelin

Member Number: 1340

I know, old thread...but I love your Scout, hope I can make my 80 look like that before I get my drivers license. Anyways, im wondering what size tires are you running?
cal4wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #40
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy it very much.

The tires are 32x10x16.

Good luck with your project.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #41
Mastiff

Member Number: 448

Hey Robert, not sure if you're still monitoring the thread but I was wondering if you had to modify anything steering-wise to tolerate the lift? I think you said new shackles are required? Why is that?

There was a thread a while back where you and michael dispensed some advice regarding shackles and shims, but I can't seem to find it.

Inspiring rig by the way. I keep coming back to see it as a great example of a moderate build. I'm in tucson now, so having a viable off road machine is important, but I still want it to look right, not like a mini monster truck. My initial plan was to order some 2" or so springs from alcan and just leave it at that since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get into too much trouble with steering and other stuff, but then I bet that would barely get me to 31" tires...
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #42
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

Hey Robert thats almost exactly what I want my 64 80 that I'm picking up next month to sit! Do you know what springs are on it? What size tires are you running? Mine will have the "pretty" part down, but doesnt have the stance.

71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #43
Korllach

Member Number: 1098

All of your questions are answered a few times in the posts right above yours.
Korllach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #44
Mastiff

Member Number: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by korllach View Post
all of your questions are answered a few times in the posts right above yours.
Not my questions, right? I'm pretty sure I read through the whole thread.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #45
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff View Post
hey Robert, not sure if you're still monitoring the thread but I was wondering if you had to modify anything steering-wise to tolerate the lift? I think you said new shackles are required? Why is that?

There was a thread a while back where you and michael dispensed some advice regarding shackles and shims, but I can't seem to find it.

Inspiring rig by the way. I keep coming back to see it as a great example of a moderate build. I'm in tucson now, so having a viable off road machine is important, but I still want it to look right, not like a mini monster truck. My initial plan was to order some 2" or so springs from alcan and just leave it at that since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get into too much trouble with steering and other stuff, but then I bet that would barely get me to 31" tires...
Thanks for the kind words.

Here is a picture of my Scout before the resto and 3/4 lift the shackles gave me.. It has only mr Scout 2 1/2 inch lift springs and shocks on it.

Look at the drag link. See the upward angle? It is worse now after the extra lift the shackles gave me and has some annoying bump steer now. Stock height the drag link is almost parallel to the tie rod and no bump steer. The bump steer also beats the hell out of the steering box.

That was my limitation and prompted me to do a flip of the tie rod to the top of the knuckles arm.. Requires a 7.5 degree taper reamer ($$$) to create the tie rod end taper from the top. Then flip the toe rod to the top. I have not done it yet but have done all of the research to do it soon..

Shackles are going to be required to lift much beyond 2-3 inches. To arch the spring more at the existing leaf length the shackel would be close to flipping over center jaming it against the frame rail. So to stop that the main leaf needs to get longer. That can cause the range of motion at the shackle end to exceed the shackle thus potentialy bending the spring. Along with the spring and it's extended range of motion the shackle needs to be extended to accept the increased range.

My combination gave me the lift I wanted and left the shackle angle at a happy place. It articulates well all things considered and only slightly rubs when making u turns..

I know this is boring but it needed to be explained..
Attached Images