IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #61
Steve Grant

Member Number: 1165
Default Re: 1964 Travelall and 1967 Travelette All Wheel Drive's

Good read Robert!
Steve Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #62
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

So had 1 hour on Thursday to install the new advance and test run the t-ette. Ran fine.
Put a timing light on it and slow idle the timing was at 8 degrees. Instant advance the moment you open the throttle. Looks like that is fixed..

Now to change the drive line oils and add more knuckle grease..
For those who have the closed knuckle axles you need nlgi 00 grease. I tracked down a relatively inexpensive source...
Many lawn and garden equipment gear boxes use the same grease and I tracked down a high quality repackaged 76 product.

It is sold under the stens name and recommended for snapper commercial mowers. It is a fully qualified ep nlgi 00 grease.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #63
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Drained and refilled the transmission. Removed 6 quarts and put six back in. Filled to the fill plug level.
Added 16 oz of the 00 grease to the knuckles. Drove around in all wheel drive with the hubs unlocked to distribute the grease to the ball and king pin bearings.
Set the idle and mixture. Rechecked the timing.
Ready for the Travelall to get on the road. Pulled
the carb to rebuild it. It's ugly but fixable. Then on to the brakes. I want it off my trailer and then it's going up for sale. I just don't need two round body IH trucks.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #64
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Needed to rearrange the crap in the hanger to make the t-all redo a bit easier.
The t-ette is now my tow rig so I thought these photos were appropriate. Kinda a familly reunion of sorts.
I drove the package around a bit and I'll say the low 1st gear is nice on the t34.

Name:  DSCN0051 (Medium).jpg
Views: 435
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0052 (Medium).jpg
Views: 440
Size:  54.5 KB

Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #65
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Default Re: 1964 Travel all and 1967 Travelette All Wheel Drive's

My new (to me) bed for my 1200c travelette was delivered last weekend. Now to recreate the mounting locations.
The middle front and middle rear appear to be where they should be. The front is a bit confusing. I measured some hole locations and the front bed pad needs to go almost exactly where the rear cab mount is..

The rear two (rear most not in photo) sit on the frame rail while the front two sit on brackets that sit just outboard of the frame rails.

I would like to see if any members with a travelette bonus load bed truck could take a few good pictures of the front bed/frame mounts. Only a 2 wheel drive could be bought with the long bed while the 4x4 was only available with the short bed. I presume the front short bed mount would be the same as the long bed so any photos would be appreciated.

A long bed standard cab would be good too from a mount location stand point.

Here is a photo or two of my bed. It's an 8 footer not 8 1/2. Mount width measurments added for ease of explaining the whole scoop. Also it's sitting front end down. Picture = 1000 words.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b96fe92.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 12-31-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #66
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39

I have a 73 t' lette, 2 w.drive 1200 8' 9" bed, would that help ? Think the frames are the same ? Jeff
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #67
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Jeff,
I don't think it could hurt.... More info is better than less..

Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #68
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39

Will send wed., have a safe and happy new year ! Jeff
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #69
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Oh and the Travelall has gone to a good new home... Guess this obsoletes the thread title..

Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #70
overdrivesteve

Member Number: 5094
Default Re: 1964 Travel all and 1967 Travelette All Wheel Drive's

[quote=Robert kenney;73538]. . .
I would like to see if any members with a travelette bonus load bed truck could take a few good pictures of the front bed/frame mounts. Only a 2 wheel drive could be bought with the long bed while the 4x4 was only available with the short bed. I presume the front short bed mount would be the same as the long bed so any photos would be appreciated.

A long bed standard cab would be good too from a mount location stand point.
. . .
[/quote ]

would pictures of the bed mountings of a 62 travelette short bed be of any help ? if so, I could post a few pictures of the way my bed is attached . location measurements will be different, but the construction of the mounting brackets look the same on your bed and mine .
steve

Last edited by overdrivesteve; 12-31-2013 at 09:24 PM..
overdrivesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 PM   #71
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Yes they would be great to see.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #72
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Thanks guys for your help.

I have been given the photos that I needed.

I need the frame frame brackets. One in each side just behind the rear cab mount. Anf body have a pair or have a set they are willing to remove? I'll pay a reasonable price for a clean set.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #73
Smith

Member Number: 5314

Sounds like you have pictures but here is another. If you can't find them they are very easy to make out of angle iron and some plate I have a pair on my travelette chassis if you can't find any. Ryan
Attached Images

Last edited by Smith; 01-02-2014 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #74
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Yeah making them did cross my mind but having the IH pieces would make me feel better about the deal.

Pm coming your way..

Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #75
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

About 3 weeks ago I decided to recycle the original split rims. Just didn't want to spend the extra money buying new wheels.
Had the old tires removed, had the wheels sandblasted, primed them and shot them with paint. Black on the back, silver on the faces.
This weekend I went over to tucker tire and had new tires mounted. They use a remote service for the split rims. 100% hand deal.
Then balanced them. The tires are 255-85-16lt d load range.. 33.2 diameter.. Fit ok on the 5.5" rims..

Wow does the travelette drive nice now. I'm actually impressed by it's highway manors. 65 mph is 2600 70 is 2800. Good enough for me.
Found a nice set of oem hub caps which are on the way.
Attached Images