IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
BrokeGunner

Member Number: 8934
Default Parked in a field for 30+ years, 68 Scout rescue and rehab

Hi, I'm new here and new to Scouts. I rode in one as a kid and always thought it was a fun vehicle that I hoped to own own day. Well, last Saturday I saw this one at auction and threw a modest bid on it and walked away, only to find out later I was the winning bidder.
I rented a car trailer Monday and drove up Donner to Sparks, Nv and that was the first time I had seen it in person. I was worried it might not have an engine because the auction description said "International Scout 800 Body - needs restoration" so i was hoping maybe 'body' didn't mean that's all i get the hood was propped open and I could see the 4 cylinder there and the old oil bath air cleaner still on it so that wad a good sign that it was all original.
I got it home that night and now I'm starting to work on getting it fixed up so it is driveable.
Here are some photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1507562419575.jpg (80.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20171009_173807.jpg (59.3 KB, 46 views)
BrokeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369
Default Re: Parked in a field for 30+ years, 68 Scout rescue and rehab

Nice!! That hood emblem is worth $$$ they are hard to find and a 1 year only. Probably a 196 with a T18 4spd and Dana 20 Tcase, which is a good combo. There are specific ways to bring them back to life without hurting them in the process.

DO NOT PUT A BATTERY IN IT AND TRY TO START IT!!

On a SV engine that has sat for a long time you need to pull the dizzy, valve cover, and plugs. I shoot Marvel oil in the cylinders and change the oil and filter, and add a manual oil pressure gauge that you can see from the engine compartment. You can drive the oil pump through the dizzy hole with a drill and bring it up to pressure, verified on the gauge that you put on. From there I spin them backwards for 3 or 4 turns by the crank pulley bolt. Then spin it forward while spinning the oil pump again to verify that the rocker arms are oiling. If that goes well, put it back together with new ignition parts, rebuild the carb, and fire it up..... Thats what I do anyhow. It looks to be pretty stock and untouched. GOOD FIND
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
BrokeGunner

Thanks for the reply.

I did shoot MMO in the cylinders and the oil was very clean so I took a chance and started it up. It fired up and I shut it down until I can get the bugs worked out.

I found the LSS in the glove box along with the owners manual and original dealer invoice I found out it has the RA 23 Dana 44 with power lock. It says T-45 trans and only "transfer case" below that so I have no idea which TC I have. How can I tell the difference between a 18 and a 20?

The T-45 references a T18c which I am guessing is the close ratio T18.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Greg R

Member Number: 527

Quote:
difference between a 18 and a 20?
Look underneath at the rear driveshaft. Passenger side output from the right side of the transfer case is a Dana 18; left side output would be a Dana 20.

You have quite the score there!! It looks very nice. The RA23 rear axle is a two piece, meaning the ends are tapered with a matching detachable hub the brake drum may or may not be swaged to the wheel studs. Usually to get the rear drums off, you remove the hub with a hub puller. More on that later when you get around to it. Start in your fix'ins with a Service Manual. The schematics alone are worth the cost. You'll find most of the wires are green; but they have numbered ends for identification seeing it looks pretty unmolested at this point, it shouldn't be hard to gett'in her back to road worthy again!
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
BrokeGunner

that was one of the first things I ordered from IHA, I should have the manual coming in next week.

One of the things I was concerned about was making sure the wheel bearings are serviced before I drive it and I saw a few threads mentioning the bearings are not lubed from the gear oil in the differential, so I guess I need to pull all of the hubs/axles to make sure they are greased properly?

I bought some gas tank sealer yesterday so I will be pulling the tanks and sealing them along with replacing all of the rubber fuel lines and blowing out the steel lines. The PO removed the mechanical fuel pump and covered the hole in the engine block with a piece from an old road sign. He has the wiper vacuum hooked directly to the intake manifold vacuum so I'm thinking I will put a non vacuum fuel pump and then deal with the wipers later, maybe switch to electric wipers at some point.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeGunner View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I did shoot MMO in the cylinders and the oil was very clean so I took a chance and started it up. It fired up and I shut it down until I can get the bugs worked out.
Hopefully you didn't trash the cam bearings, they like to seize or stick in an engine that has sat for a long time...thus the running of the oil pump to send oil through the engine and tuning it by hand.

It will have a Dana 20 Tcase with the rear D44 and the T18. That's the most common drivetrain for that year.
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Greg R

You are correct, the wheel bearings are greased. Before you jump in with both feet, do the tanks even leak at this point? The point I'm going to is concentrating on essentials; separating what works from what doesn't. At this point you've mentioned wheel bearings and fuel pump/wipers. Nothing wrong with vacuum wipers if they're hooked up correctly. You might be able to track down a fuel/vacuum pump that fits; or the worst case is a rebuildable one and then some parts from a kit. It'll take time, sourcing and sleuthing, but it does come together in the end. Nothing like a working OEM Scout, or a least close to OEM.

Mine needed a lot of work too. I focused on road manners, drivability, and dependability. Ignition, fuel, wipers, shocks, lube changes, leaks both body and drive train, brakes etc. That took a lot of money right there even with hanging on to old stuff and making it work with the best parts and kits I could find. New fuel tank filler hose helped to stop leaks inside and out, and a gas cap up grade helped a lot too. IHPA sells some nice filler neck caps from billet aluminum, but there are others to shop around for too. Over 5 years I drove it a little, repaired , drove some more and repaired some more and got it dependable. From there another 5 years of transmission and axle overhauls, new clutch, added an overdrive, springs, body seals and mounts, and so forth so now it's comfortable for an all day drive or over nighter. It was beat pretty hard when I got it, and the electrician who drove it did not know automotive electrics so that took a lot of undoing and correcting also. A little humour, I told my daughter I threw in the towel and I was going to sell it. She told me she saw one just like it on the coast and had a conversation with it's owner. He told her if her old man decided to throw in the towel, tell him to step back for a month or two and decide then. (He went through the same frustrations) Bottom line, they're worth going the distance and to hang on to them. He was right.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
Greg R

I took a closer look at your pictures. That paint job seems to me to indicate some kind of special edition Scout. Could you post a picture of the Lineset Ticket or build sheet?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
BrokeGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71mtnscout View Post
Hopefully you didn't trash the cam bearings, they like to seize or stick in an engine that has sat for a long time...thus the running of the oil pump to send oil through the engine and tuning it by hand.

It will have a Dana 20 Tcase with the rear D44 and the T18. That's the most common drivetrain for that year.
I checked yesterday and the TCase does have a centered output, so apparently it is a 20 as you stated. Thanks for the help on that
Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #10
BrokeGunner

I worked on it quite a bit yesterday and made some good progress. It needed all new hoses and i was able to order them from the local O'reilly and they are supposed to be there this morning. I removed the smog pump and brackets which really opened up the engine for room to work on things. I still need to crimp the air nozzles or find plugs at some point.

I replaced the heater hoses with 5/8" gates hose. One was 44 and the other 42", figured i would include the length incase someone is planning to replace theirs. I'm planning to reuse the stock hose clamps at most locations since they seem to work well. I did want to change the large hose clamps on the radiator hoses byt O'reilly had only cheap import clamps that looked like junk, so i will try Napa today.

I pulled the starter and replaced the solenoid with a new one. The wiring was really burnt there so i got that all straightened out inluding all new batt cables.

I will post up some pics of what i am working on later today.

Tags
1968, 800, scout