IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #16
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: 72 Ole Yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico View Post
you driving this thing yet?
Almost. Maybe by Sunday evening. Few little bugs to unkink. One is installing a new ignition switch that I have sitting on the dash. I did start and run it for about a minute or two last weekend. Ran out of time to roll the a$$ end out the door . Didn't wanna smoke out the cave and building.

Chico, I was thinking of ya a couple days ago. You still interested in a frame? I need to thin out my heard. I have way too many projects going on. And I don't think I will ever get a chance to work on my 74 rolled Scout.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
chico

Member Number: 936

My Scout has been posted up on the side of the house as of late. Been to busy to do anything with it. But I think I'm gonna start back up again. Im interested for sure. I was just talkin to the wife the other night about getting back to workin on it. I need some rear quater pannels to if you have any.
chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
Scooter

Don't think I have any rear quater panels decent enough. Not sure if any of the local babs guys have any either.

Well crapola on a pooper scooper. Ole yeller threw me a curve ball this evening. Got to my cave and thought I try and do something with the ignition switch, since it was being finicky. I tried swapping it out for one I had laying around. Turns out that the spare is for a standard non tilt column and ole yeller has tilt. As I was putsing with the original one it decided to fall apart in my hands with a few springs flying around why am I not surprised? Anyways, a few clicks later, a new one is on order and should be here in a couple days.
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
chico

I didn't know 72 had tilt... Crazy. Nor would I think the ignitions would be different because of such. Well good thing for the enternet.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Could have been swapped in from a later Scout, like much of the other parts that are currently in ol' yeller, but yes, the saginaw columns with remote-mounted ignition switches require that the switch matches the column style... Ie tilt vs. Non-tilt.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
Scooter

I too agree that the column was swapped in from a later year. I don't think 72 had a tilt option, but I could be wrong. Just one of those various parts that are not enter changeable between the two types of columns. I believe it's time for serious consideration of a line set ticket on ole yeller. Plus, I need to check id stamp on the motor to confirm the displacement. I've always been under the assumption that it's a 304.
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #22
Scooter

Major kudos go up to the guys at IHPA. Ordered the ignition switch online Wednesday night and it arrived Friday morning by noon-o-clock got it installed and seems to work. But still have a gremlin or two lingering around.

Didn't get much done, sigh. Kept getting distracted. My Dad came down for a couple hours today to catch up and have lunch.

Yesterday, I was considering dropping the gas tank to check the pick up tube sending unit. Well, as things go with getting bit by the typical po virus. The rear bumper and hitch is welded and tied into the tank skid plate. Along with cheesy trailer wiring. Why am I not surprised oh them bubble gum welds. Aint it purdy? At this point, what normally takes a couple hours to drop the tank, will end up an all day project. Then some time to re-do that po virus crapola. Kind of an interesting idea, but not well thought out. Although, it's currently not mandatory for me to drop the tank, but I just wanna check and make sure things are in good order.

Got a real pleasant surprise today, though. I just took the time to check the motor stamped id. And found out that a 345 e is stuffed in ole yeller. Also, 120108a is stamped right under it.

Now, I'm more curious as to what a line set ticket will reveal. One will be ordered soon. In the mean time, it's looking like it will be next weekend when I can take it out for a spin.
Attached Images

72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
Scoutboy74

Man they shore is sum purdy turkey turds kimball-Bob!

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #24
chico

Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #25
Scooter

Well, ole yeller goes forward and backwards on its own. But I keep running into old defunct batteries. After going through the second battery that came with this Scout when I got it, I'm now ready to drop in my odyssey battery that I used in my 74 rolled Scout. But since I have been dealing with a swollen water in the right knee the last few weeks, my energy has been basically non existent.

Today, I did get to gutting the original transfer case that I pulled out. Glad I decided to go through with rebuilding it. Had a few of the inner shims come out in pieces. Once I get the housing put through the washer, I will go through the rebuild with the kit that I recently purchased through IHPA.
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
chico

Take care of that knee. Can't do what we do from wheel chairs.... Well you could but it would be much harder.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico View Post
take care of that knee. Can't do what we do from wheel chairs.... Well you could but it would be much harder.
Thanks. After the cortisone shot last week, the swelling has gone down. But it's still a little stiff and getting some popping in the knee. Got a friend who is actually wheel chair bound himself, that owns and drives his a 75 IH 1100 truck and his 79 Scout II.

Well if it aint one thing or another. After replace exhaust manifold gaskets and donuts, I had issues with an exhaust leak on the driver side right at the donut where the pipe meets the manifold. No matter what I tried, short of pulling the whole exhaust system out, I couldn't get it to seal correctly. So I ended up cutting a piece of the pipe out and bending the 90* back to roughly 80-85* or something like that. The photo shows the section of what I dealt with most of the day. Just got finished mounting it and welded it back in place. Worked like a charm. Nice little quiet rumble going on. Now I can finish welding the exhaust brackets back on and time it, among a few other things and possibly drive it around the block.
Attached Images

72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #28
Scooter

Just finished up rebuilding the d-20 transfer case a few days ago. All new bearings and seals, along with eliminating the two shifter rail pills for twin stick conversion. Currently stored on the shelf till I actually get to putting the 727 auto trans back together. Other financial obligations sort of preventing me from ordering the gear ratio change in the transmission. Once I get to putting the trans back together, I will tackle fabing up the two shifters for the t.c. Before I actually pieced the t.c. Together, I had a friend, who works for a powder coating company, take it to his work to cook and clean the t.c. Housing. Then he coated it with a zink coating of some sort to prevent rusting. Something they do on products like this to prevent rusting out from under the paint. I didn't find a need to actually get this one powder coated. It wont be a show rig, so I just rattle canned it before I stored it up on the shelf

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-20 Transfer Case - Front.JPG (124.2 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg D-20 Transfer Case - Rear.JPG (150.8 KB, 452 views)
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
Scooter

Sigh!!!. Got bit by the po bug. I'm about to beat these guys over the head with the fugly stick. Turns out that I needed to drop the fuel tank due to not getting fuel to the new fuel pump I just replaced last weekend. The sending unit pick up tube is plugged up.

But, in order to drop the tank, I end up having to deal with the po virus. The hitch welded to both the rear bumper and tank skid plate. What were these knuckle heads thinking? Got their heads up their butts.

If the po kept this Scout, I guess he never planned on dropping the tank to service the sending unit or the tank itself.

now off to drop the tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel tank skid Plate.jpg (91.4 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg Rear hitch & Skid plate.JPG (143.8 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel tank skid Plate1.jpg (75.3 KB, 424 views)
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 04-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #30
Scoutboy74

Sheeyit kimball...that's a pyur dee dam faktree traylur draggin' pakidge! That there was a Dad burned hi dollar opshun wut had to be checkd of'n the ordur sheet at purchus tyme. Dubble check yer daggum line set ticket and then tell me I'm full of it.
it would be very difficult to convict the average po of being a long-term thinker in any court of law. That fine example of redneck injinooitee was born of necessity and zero budget. Whoever did it probably figured the rig would wind up in the scrap yard well before the tank ever needed to be dropped for any reason.