IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #91
overdrivesteve

Member Number: 5094
Default Re: 1964 Travelall and 1967 Travelette All Wheel Drive's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kenney View Post
I break them down and have the wheels and lock rings media blasted inside and out to remove any foreign material including rust. . . .

then I spray them with etching metal primer, with attention to only coat the ring tongue and mating groove lightly .
I mask the ring tongue to prevent more paint on it . spray the back of the wheel, in this case black and, the front silver along with the outer face of the ring .
. . .
Hi,
have a few questions if you don't mind.

When you say media blasted do you mean sand blasted or something else such as walnut shells, metal bb's, soda or dry ice I hear they now also use sometimes, although I don't know which is correct to use for what application. Did you do the media blasting yourself or did you take it to someone else to have it done you can recommend?

What brand etching primer and paint did you use and does it come in a rattle can or can it only be applied by compressor with spray paint gun?

And what are the two metal platforms on the front fenders? I've never noticed those on any other truck.

Thanks.
Steve

p.s. Nice truck!
overdrivesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #92
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob gojkovich View Post
Robert, I noticed the front hub cap does not have the cut out for the 4x4 hub which is the same deal on an original '66 I'm trying to get. The current owner said you pop of the hub cap to put it in four wheel drive. Is the way IH did it or is there supposed to be a hole in the hub cap?
There is a 4x4 front cap available like mine with the hole but they are even rarer than hens teeth I have. I had trouble trying to find the 2x4 version. I'll be adding the hole to my other set then roll the lips.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #93
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrivesteve View Post
hi,
have a few questions if you don't mind.

When you say media blasted do you mean sand blasted or something else such as walnut shells, metal bb's, soda or dry ice I hear they now also use sometimes, although I don't know which is correct to use for what application. Did you do the media blasting yourself or did you take it to someone else to have it done you can recommend?

What brand etching primer and paint did you use and does it come in a rattle can or can it only be applied by compressor with spray paint gun?

And what are the two metal platforms on the front fenders? I've never noticed those on any other truck.

Thanks.
Steve

p.s. Nice truck!

I used azusa sandblasting and in this case it was sand. Only steel grit or a sharp angular mineral blast material will give the optimum surface for best adhesion. The others like steel shot and glass bead being round are not the best..
I would recommend them for any heavy wall item. I did more than the wheels and rings, so it's hard to say exactly how much the wheels alone were. Guessing $75-100. They were perfectly clean.
The primer was either this: dupli-color :: self-etching primer
Or this:
automotive self-etching primer product page

Think it was the rustoleum product.

The metal steps were made by the po and will be coming off. The truck if you remember had the camper on it and I presume it made window cleaning easier..

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #94
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

I like this picture so thought I'd post it..
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #95
Rob Gojkovich

Member Number: 1685

Nice. These bad boys are awesome. Have you looked into headliners for the t-ettes?
Rob Gojkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #96
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

I think (but could be wrong) this is the original head liner. It is a simple textured rubber that is glued into place. That is what I was going to replace it with.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #97
Rob Gojkovich

I haven't been able to find something similar. Do you know if there is some kind of foam back type of material? The replacements for the t-alls is some kind of card board that I don't care for.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #98
Bill Bennett

Member Number: 747

Look at the headliner material used in newer cars. Just a 'foam backed' material with a soft fabric cover. Comes in various colors and with a bit of 'spray glue', shouldn't take very long and you're good for another 20 years! I bought a 20 foot long roll at joannas fabric store years ago. Haven't used it yet. If you were closer, I would give it to you just to get it out of the garage!
Bill bennett 68 Travelall 1100 4x4 torrance, CA
Bill Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #99
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Bill @ you, does the rubber that is in my t-ette look factory?
It's long in the tooth and needs to be replaced. I know the 64 t-all had the hard board headliner. This shows no evidence of ever having that type installed.
An upholstery shop I talked to had a smiler material. Forgot if they said what it's intended use was.
I have some gitter rust that needs to be addressed. So after that I'm going to have the headliner done, or do it myself.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #100
Bill Bennett

I haven't seen any 'c' body IH vehicle with a similar glue on headliner. Doesn't mean it wasn't done! I think you would have a problem even if you went with the flat original style panels as the plastic strips that hold the panels in place are basically non existant. Consider being totally different and look at the headliners in the 'camper conversion vans'. If you have been on a large tour bus, they use a multi color material that you might like and it looks to be a glue on product.
Bill
Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #101
Rob Gojkovich

Bill, I saw your Travelall at the Sierra Fall Rallye a couple years back, really nice I'd love to have it. Any how that rubber glue on headliner in the t-ettes is common I have seen it in everyone so far or at least bits of it remaining. I'll be in irvine this month maybe I could take a look at it. If you could leave me a pm or call me at 916-870-4567 that would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #102
Bill Bennett

In our Travelall, there is a couple sections of maybe fiberglass insulation glued to the roof above the ceiling panels. If the cardboard panels have fallen, the owners May have pulled out the insulation material leaving some remenants stuck to the ceiling. I wouldn't want that fiberglass material blowing around inside the cab while driving.
I did see a picture where someone mounted the cardboard panels using the supports like you have to hold up the panels. I have seen the perforated cardboard ceiling panels in the larger commercial and camper vans at the wrecker. Didn't verify the size.
Pm sent
Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #103
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Progress report 2-9-14:
the bed it floating free and the wiring is separated from the truck. Now if I only had time to roll it over to my buddy's hangar with a lift, I'd have it off. He stopped by today and suggested that his lift May be the best option to lift it off and on to my trailer for storage until it sells.. A couple of interested parties but the first guy that expressed interest has first right.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #104
Rob Gojkovich

Robert, I picked up some headliner material as per bill b. At joann's and installed it in the front section of my Scout travel top with locktite spray adhesive 200 and it worked wonderfully. I think it would look real nice in the t-ette. It comes in grey, beige and black with foam backing. It looks just like the headliner in my 96 Chevy silverado.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #105
Big Banger

Member Number: 1577

Here is a picture of the headliner in our '68 travelette. The truck is all original with 48000 original miles. One way to duplicate the appearance would be to have the interior roof surface of the cab sprayed with a gray tinted bedliner material that has an orange peel type texture like rhino lining.
Attached Images

Big Banger is offline   Reply With Quote