IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #46
87king

Member Number: 5993
Default Re: 1964 Travelall and 1967 Travelette All Wheel Drive's

Holy cow your right from the time I got my truck 2 and half years ago till now, jason says he no longer can do it or send them out over at fleetpride I guess I should have done mine when it was available. That really dissapoints me allot. Sorry for the wrong statement everyone. Back to finding a new place to do it, il call those guys and see what my price through a company of American auto parts would be. I am bummed out now. I still have the sleeving compound for when I was going to give him mine to sleeve to which wasn't cheap dang.
87king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #47
MarkO

Member Number: 740

You might try ott's friction supply in portland, or. home - ott's friction supply

Or brake system, inc. In portland, or. brake systems inc. - manufacturers of blue ox exhaust brakes

Both companies are able to get stuff almost no one else can get. Ott's actually supplies most of the friction material sold in napa stores in the nw.
MarkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #48
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Two weekends ago I r&r'd the clutch master and bled it. Yanked the other rear drum. Took measurements on the 3 flex brake hoses (ends and lengths). Found that the hard lines on the rear axle were toast.
Wiped off the rear axle tag..... Read 4.89 gears. Glad it's a od five speed. I'll be installing 285/75/16 tires on it, which should help along with 16x8 alloy wheels. Haven't decided what style wheel, but I'll pick one soon.

Last weekend I drove the Scout to g&j aircraft in ontario to have the lines made along with replacement hard lines for the rear. Got home and found the fuel pump on the Scout was blowing fuel out of the blow hole. luckily I had a new diaphragm so 1 hour later the Scout was back on the road and I was back at the airport to work on the t-ette. Got the rear brake plumbing mounted and ready for brake assembly.

Tackling the front brake lines next weekend. Not looking forward to being a contortionist getting to the frame end of the hoses. Should be able to get the front brakes and wheel cylinders rebuilt and back together...

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #49
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Finished the rear brake lines and got the backing plates and small parts cleaned up... Wheel cylinders mounted and plumbed.

Then I decides to look at the carburation again. It always seems lean on the pilot jets. So I replaced the booster hose and removed the pcv valve (rebuildable type) and cleaned it.. Reinstalled it along with new hose to the valley pan. It's better, way better. But.......
I believe all IH 304's with the 2 barrel 2300 Holley's used timed vacuum advance that plumbed off of the metering block and not the manifold vacuum direct.???

The truck came with a list # 2977 2300 installed with the advance plumbed to the vacuum tree. I have been through it already and it is sound. The timed port on 2977 is not threaded or open. I think this one had been monkeyed with

the truck came with another used carb list 1710-3. The 1710-3 has the timed port threaded and it also had a fitting in it.. I rebuilt it today along with a new 6.5 power valve. Before I install it I want to for sure know which vacuum the truck should have.

Fyi both the 2977 and 1710-3 are speced for the ihc 266 and 304.

Nice listing below of Holley list numbers and applications..

Holley master list of list numbers

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #50
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Got the front flex brake lines in, removed and fully inspect the front brakes, painted the orange away (fade to black).
Had the rear drums turned to the max. Surprisingly they had .050" left to take them to the limit of 12.09. We went a tad further 12.10. They cleaned up ok with only the deep rivet grooves still visible.
Went to clean the rear bearings and found that they were toast. Ordered them... Not cheap
rebuilt the second ihc issued 2300 and installed it. Runs like it should now. Found the replacement bed 1968 fleet side bonus load 8 foot. Nice condition and white already too..

Oh yeah forgot that I also rebuilt the 1904 on my Scout. Alky gass killed the power valve and accelerator pump diaphragms. Started pissing fuel out of the ap vent hole. Installed a new main metering body too. All happy now.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #51
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Got the new rear hub bearing races installed. Greased and installed the new roller bearings.
Hung the rear brakes along with a new spring kit.
Installed the rear drums set the bearing preload.
Bled the entire brake system.
Adjusted the brakes.
Fired it up and drove it to the local gas station and filled up one tank. I drove it around for about 15 minutes. Ran flawlessly. I'm super happy. Has fairly good power too.
I need to readjust the brakes and will probably re-bleed the brakes....
Other than installing the new correct bed and replacing the universal joints, replacing the belts and coolant and fixing a bug in the headlights it's a driver for a while.
Oh and I need a rear window, and along with that the front has a bit of fogging at the bottom so I May find a good replacement

I'll take some more Saturday when I go back to detail the job and look into the headlight deal.
Till then here is what I have..

Name:  DSCN0013 (Small).JPG
Views: 569
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0016 (Small).JPG
Views: 503
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0017 (Small).JPG
Views: 529
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0019 (Small).JPG
Views: 557
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0020 (Small).JPG
Views: 521
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0022 (Small).JPG
Views: 531
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0024 (Small).JPG
Views: 514
Size:  109.7 KB

Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #52
IHRunner

Member Number: 4157

Hell of a leaf pack under there.

Lookin really good Robert

1976 terra-304-The Duke. 420k miles
1977 traveler-304-furst fake hurst-unknown miles
1978 scout II-The Pumpkin-196-4spd-no power steering-67k original miles
1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
1985 irocz camaro(sold thank god)
2 farmall m's
IHRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #53
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Ya, it has the optional load pack and aux. Spring.

Got the old girl out and put about 20 miles on her. Ran well. Developed an ignition miss at the end. The points look like the materhorn on one side. I knew about that when I got it so I bought a set of nos points and a nos condensor. Those go in today..
I also think I did not get all of the air otu ofthe clutch system after the drive and sitting while I greased it, the clutch would not fully disengage. Checked the master and the level had risen. I attributed that to the trapped air getting hot and expanding, pushing the fluid back to the master. I bled it a bunch more with my one man beeder and that seemed to fix that.

Chased the headlight nonop condition to the high/low beam switch. It was totally open in all positions. Took it apart and other than oxidation on the contacts it was perfect. So I cleaned it up and, walla we have headlights.

Her are a couple of photos of the beast and a couple ov videos of tooling around the airport and a drive out on the road. You can hear the thumping of the tire flat spots. Also me discovering the begining of the clutch problem. May even hear a few choice comments from the driver... :bag

1968 International travelette tooling around brackett airport

1968 travelette driving around

Name:  IMG_1090 (Medium).jpg
Views: 905
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1091 (Medium).jpg
Views: 647
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1092 (Medium).jpg
Views: 624
Size:  79.1 KB

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 11-11-2013 at 06:56 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #54
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Installed the new points and condenser. All better! The points had been eaten up during the little I had driven it since I last looked at them. I measured the condenser and it charged very slowly and never went above 2 meg ohms on my dvom. That's a bad condenser. You should be able to view the charge time in a 20meg + range. Takes about 1-2 seconds then the meter should show ol or the same as if you had the test leads apart.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #55
Bill Bennett

Member Number: 747

I have found the condensers are made in china and I have had a 50% failure rate. If the points seem to burn quickly, measure the voltage to the coil when the engine is running. Should not be 12 volts. More like 6.6ish?
Bill Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #56
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

I've found the same thing with the china condersers. I bought a nos standard ih121 and IH whatever set of points. The ignition voltage dropping wire/device is working well and delivering 7.5 v with the coil loading it (points closed). The original condenser was also a standard produced ih121 but it was failing and not charging properly.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #57
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Started the process of straightening the front bumper. Uuuhhhhggggg.
Now the only question is to chrome or not to chrome.

Last edited by Robert Kenney; 11-18-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #58
Rob Gojkovich

Member Number: 1685

Robert, great t-ette. I picked up a 63 several months ago and put a decent amount of hours into it. It needed a fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, rebuilt radiator, water pump, brakes, new points and condenser. Also replaced the bed and had the seats reupholstered. It runs really well but it does not want to idle when warmed up. Still trying to figure that out plus a number of other things. I appreciate all the knowledge you share.
Rob Gojkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #59
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Thanks rob,
I think I got lucky with this one.. I have not had to many issues really. The brakes were the biggest fix so far.

I need to go pick up my new bed which is an 8 footer.

If we can help with your non hot idle situation let us know..

Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #60
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

So I had 2 vacuum advance issues on the t-ette. 1) the diaphragm was leaking. Easy enough to fix by ordering one from IHPA done! 2) the port on the metering block supplied no vacuum and with a mighty vac on it would hold vacuum forever. It appeared to have a blockage in the carburetor passages.

My plan on Saturday was to go fix the advance blockage issue. I get in the t-ette to swap it around ( back it in), start it and the clutch would not release. Fooky!! It never worked perfectly even after bleeding it to death but it worked.. So I roll under the trans and remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing and see the problem immediately. Some how the through out bearing collar had rotated and the actuator fork was out of it's grooves. After much fretting over the fix I figured that some one had disassembled the slave linkage and allowed the fork to swing back far enough for the collar to disengage. It must have turned and they put the slave back in. Amazing it worked at all. My fear initially was that the collar May have come out of place some time when the transmission was pulled and it would have to come out again.. luckily that was not the case. I was able to remove the slave cylinder and swing the fork back and re-engage the fork and collar... I installed a new slave, because I had it, bled it, and now it is perfect..

on to the carb. It turns out the throttle body was not drilled just above the butterfly as it should be with a timed spark advance system. Got lucky again. I took the other 2300 apart, removing the throttle body from it that was drilled and swapped it on to the 2300 I had just removed. Should be ok now. Will need to wait until the new advance actuator comes in.. More fun for a post turkey day weekend

Sunday was not over yet. I have the new points and condenser for the t-all. Figured I would install them and see if it could run any better... The old girl lit right off and after a couple of minutes of high idle from some choke it idled right down smooth as glass... No ticking that I could hear above the exhaust leak. No smoke or blow by. It has a fuel leak at the inlet fitting. The bowl is stripped so it won't tighten. I was able to run it for 10 minutes or so until the leak became a liability not worth the fun I was having.. :slap it had a fair amount of heat in it by that time and I saw no coolant leaking. The coolant was still super clean and green.

So it looks like I have two running round body IH's now. I'll need to fix the brakes on the t-all to back her off of my trailer. Run up to Lancaster to pickup my new bed.. That should be very cool to get the right bed on the t-ette.
Stay tuned.