IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #46
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: 72 Ole Yeller

Finally getting something accomplished. Trans rebuild is complete. Now I need to pull out the pos used tranny that I made the mistake of purchasing. Might just get busy doing the trans swap next weekend. Unless I get sidetracked with playing with my new plasma cutter, when it comes in next Thursday. I had already rebuilt the d-20 transfer case awhile ago, that's sitting on the shelf waiting patiently. Just several things being checked off my laundry list of things to do to make this Scout road worthy.

As some May recall in another thread elsewhere, I have a defunct wiper motor. The plastic gear is buggered up and apparently made of unobtainium. Plus, the motor is in need of a rebuild. Through another local IH member, who turned me onto a possible source, I ordered a 2 speed wiper motor that has the potential of a being a good Scout II replacement. I will post up more about it next week when it comes in. Unless I'm doing the tranny swap, then it will be a week or two for me to know for sure if this new wiper motor will work or not.
Attached Images

74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #47
Scooter

Been a few months since I posted my last update. Rebuilt trans is installed and half filled with fluid. I still have another gallon of red juice to add. Within the last few weeks, I changed the pan gasket on the motor. New oil awaitng to be poured in. Also replaced the heater hoses along with a new plastic heater control valve. Spent half the day today completely piecing my drivers door back together with power windows. Passenger side is having issues with power up. Currently struggles and stops half way up. The chrome frame in the wind wing is cracked. And the roll up/down window is starting to do the same. So, I plan on swapping the glass out with some spares that I have laying around. Recently, since my manual choke cable was so long, I ended up cutting roughly two feet off the end just to be able to have a decent routing to the carb with out kinking it. Also, since most the work on motor is mostly done, I mounted the air cleaner. And awhile ago, I took the time to install the fan shroud.
Attached Images

72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 11-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #48
Scooter

Finally been able to get a little wrench time in the last couple weeks. Found out last week that my alternator was bad. So I ended up getting a rebuilt one from a local repair shop a couple days ago and installed today. Roughly 14.8 volts at idle. I would take it out for a test drive, but I don't exactly trust the battery enough to start back up if stalled out. Plus, I need to reinstall the gauges.
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 11-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #49
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

That seems a fuzz high at idle, Kimball. 13.8 to 14.4 is more typical depending on battery status and current loads. Might wanna keep a close watch on that.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #50
Scooter

Indeed. Might be due to an extremely low battery. Started off with just over 10v on battery when I had to jump off my 2002 yoda. After idling for about half an hour, several times, battery was holding just over 12v.

Just one more thing that I plan on replacing soon, is the battery. My current one doesn't have enough gogo cranken juice.
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 11-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #51
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Oh yeah. That'll do it. Alternators definitely struggle and strain to replenish severely depleted batteries.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote