IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > New Products at IH Parts America
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default NV4500 Kits Finally Available

Now available - this new transmission adapter kit will allow you to install a nv4500 5 speed manual overdrive transmission behind an IH 266, 304, 345, or 392 v8 engine with no clutch modifications. Kit is also compatible with the sd33 Nissan diesel/turbo diesel used in 76'-80' Scout II's and can also be used in some Nissan patrols. Simply unbolt your existing 4 speed transmission and slide in a custom built nv4500. Depending on the application driveline and crossmember modification May be required. If used in a Scout the transfer case will also need to be replaced or we can furnish an adapter that will mate the original Scout Dana 20 or 300 transfer case to the back of the nv4500. Kit includes new custom made input shaft, adapter plate, and mounting hardware. You will need to supply the nv4500 and the front bearing retainer(nose cone) from a IH t18, t19, or t98 4 speed transmission. It's best to convert a 1995 and later dodge 4x4 diesel version of the nv4500(for Scout applications) but dodge gas units can be used as well as 1995 and later GM nv4500's. Nothing better than having a 5.61 granny first gear and a .74 5th gear overdrive. Please call or email if you have any questions.

Kits are in stock and ready to ship. Retail price is $594.95 before shipping.

CPT nv4500 to IH v8 transmission adapter kit - International Scout parts

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 03-29-2017 at 07:04 AM..
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
TBC

Member Number: 545
Default Re: NV4500 Kits Finally Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihojeff View Post
it's best to convert a dodge 4x4 diesel version of the nv4500 but dodge gas units can be used as well as 1995 and later GM nv4500's.
What would be the difference between a GM '95 Nv4500 and a GM '92 Nv4500?
Thanks
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

The 92' model has a lower first gear(6.32) and different bell housing pattern. The shafts we have made are for the 5.61 1st gear. We can special order a shaft for the early GM but it will cost more(how much more I don't know at this time). The adapter plates can be modified to work with the early version but again it will cost more at this time for the additional maching.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
TBC

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihojeff View Post
the 92' model has a lower first gear(6.32) and different bell housing pattern. The shafts we have made are for the 5.61 1st gear. We can special order a shaft for the early GM but it will cost more(how much more I don't know at this time). The adapter plates can be modified to work with the early version but again it will cost more at this time for the additional maching.
Ok, thanks.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Patrick Morris

Member Number: 148

Hi Jeff, this looks like a great thing to do. I have a couple of questions:

> driveline and crossmember modification required.

By driveline do you mean anything but driveshafts? And do you have a good estimate for how much further back a d20/300 would be if you used this transmission adapter and a transfer case adapter?

Do you provide plans or diagrams for how the x-member would need to be modified?

> transfer case will also need to be replaced or we can furnish an adapter that will mate the Scout Dana 20 or 300 transfer case to the back of the nv4500.

What would the transfer case conversion cost, and are there any special parts we would need to provide?

-----------------------

and just some random questions that popped into my head...

Do you have any pictures of this conversion?

What does an nv4500 shifter Look like (especially when inside a Scout cab)?

Can you use the original 4-spd boot?

Does the cab's tranny cover need to be modified and if so, do you have a plan or pattern for cutting or 'moving' the holes?
Patrick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

You will need to either lengthen or shorten the front/rear driveshafts and fabricate a custom crossmember. No plans are given so you must make one on your own. The transfer case adapter for a nv4500 to a IH Dana 20/300 will cost approximately $700. Pictures of the conversion can be found on ld's custom Scout II build-up.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
overdrivesteve

Member Number: 5094

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick morris View Post
hi Jeff, this looks like a great thing to do. I have a couple of questions:

> driveline and crossmember modification required.

By driveline do you mean anything but driveshafts? And do you have a good estimate for how much further back a d20/300 would be if you used this transmission adapter and a transfer case adapter?

Do you provide plans or diagrams for how the x-member would need to be modified?

> transfer case will also need to be replaced or we can furnish an adapter that will mate the Scout Dana 20 or 300 transfer case to the back of the nv4500.

What would the transfer case conversion cost, and are there any special parts we would need to provide?

-----------------------

and just some random questions that popped into my head...

Do you have any pictures of this conversion?

What does an nv4500 shifter Look like (especially when inside a Scout cab)?

Can you use the original 4-spd boot?

Does the cab's tranny cover need to be modified and if so, do you have a plan or pattern for cutting or 'moving' the holes?
Hi,
I am new to this forum and new to IH trucks, but have restored trucks in the past, including a 57 Chevy 1 ton panel 4x4.
I just purchased my first IH truck ever, a 62 crew cab 4x4. My first major upgrade is to the transmission. The truck has a 304 v8 with 4 speed. I would like to upgrade to a 6 speed nv trans. I want to retain the very low creeper and have an overdrive. So I can't really see the spending the money for only one more gear. But two more gears, I'd like to do it. My truck has a divorced transfer case, so no t/c adapter is needed. How can we make this happen? Will this adapter work for the nv5600 6 speed? I have read a lot of people are going to the fuller fso-6406a 6 speed as its a direct replacement, cheaper, and far superior to the nv5600. Your thoughts please on the possibility of using this adapter for the fuller trans.
Thanks.
Steve
overdrivesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrivesteve View Post
hi,
I am new to this forum and new to IH trucks, but have restored trucks in the past, including a 57 Chevy 1 ton panel 4x4.
I just purchased my first IH truck ever, a 62 crew cab 4x4. My first major upgrade is to the transmission. The truck has a 304 v8 with 4 speed. I would like to upgrade to a 6 speed nv trans. I want to retain the very low creeper and have an overdrive. So I can't really see the spending the money for only one more gear. But two more gears, I'd like to do it. My truck has a divorced transfer case, so no t/c adapter is needed. How can we make this happen? Will this adapter work for the nv5600 6 speed? I have read a lot of people are going to the fuller fso-6406a 6 speed as its a direct replacement, cheaper, and far superior to the nv5600. Your thoughts please on the possibility of using this adapter for the fuller trans.
Thanks.
Steve
We do not offer a kit for the 6 speed nv5600 nor will our kit work with it. I can give you no information about the fuller transmissions as I have no experience dealing with them.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

After a long wait we finally have received our nv4500 to IH input shafts so kits are currently available and ready to ship. We also have a very limited supply of early GM shafts with the 6.32 1st gear. Please call our sales office for more details.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
Bruce A. Frank

Member Number: 6247

Jeff,

in my conversation with you about adapting the nv4500 to the bg240 in my '56 s120 Travelall you said to select a 4500 for a dodge. I am searching the internet for a best value for the money.

As you May know the trans and transfer case in the s120 are divorced. So far most of the nv4500s I am finding have the rear housing intended to bolt directly to the transfer case. After figuring out how to ask the proper search questions I see that the trans for 2wd vehicles is what I need. But,the dodge versions, all that I have seen so far, have a fairly long tailpiece, which appears to be too long to to fit in the space available...though I have no dimensions yet.

I see gmc compatible 4500s for 2wd that seem to have a much shorter tailpiece. I assume that shafts in these transmissions would preclude bolting the gmc tailpiece onto the dodge trans.

I also assume that these input shaft adapter kits are designed only for the dodge transmissions. This diagram is from the high gear site.

I need a little input to know which way to go.
Bruce A. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

If you read the very first paragraph of this thread as well as the item description both state:
Quote:
it's best to convert a 1995 and later dodge 4x4 diesel version of the nv4500(for Scout applications) but dodge gas units can be used as well as 1995 and later GM nv4500's.
Regardless if it's going in a Scout, pickup or Travelall, and regardless if the transmission is from a dodge or GM, it must be 1995 and later. Hope that answers your question.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 10-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #12
Bruce A. Frank

Member Number: 6247

Thank you Jeff. Sometimes when you are reading the information you'll miss a point 'cause you weren't asking the right question at that time.

So the shaft and bell housing adapter kit works for either the dodge or Chevy nv4500 that is '95 or younger?
Bruce A. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #13
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce a. Frank View Post
thank you Jeff. Sometimes when you are reading the information you'll miss a point 'cause you weren't asking the right question at that time.

So the shaft and bell housing adapter kit works for either the dodge or Chevy nv4500 that is '95 or younger?
Yes.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795