IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #46
chico

Member Number: 936
Default Re: My '78 is getting a set of #7100 Bilsteins

Right on! Lookin good. I didnt notice the front corner rolled like that until you said something. Thinking about taking it higher and cutting off the sheet metal below the front turn signal and wrap it around for more clearance. Those tires are 33' s. I also switched out the the 8 inch shock for the 12 inch because when I cycled the suspension not much drop. Even moving the mounts. So Now I have the 12's in the back and gonna order 14's for the front. and sell these 8's. and also did what jeff did and attached the resevoirs opposite of each other. I should have those 14's by the time I drive down to scooters and pick up his shock hoop frame. when I do Ill post the pics how it looks. I need to start my own readers ride thread Ive done so much and have all the pics just to lazy hahaha.
chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #47
Patrick Morris

Member Number: 148

Adding new info/update to this thread. Changed my damping a little, finally, and so far I'm Pretty happy. To summarize, the "255/70" damping worked okay in the front. But I didn't like that setting for the rear. Despite the rear shocks being angled over, I think the compression was still too stiff back there.

The image below, the red box shows the damping plates that came in all of the shocks.

Note: I made one correction to the chart. For some reason, all my shocks came with 0.10mm thick rebound bypass plates, not the specified 0.15mm plates. These plates are plates are actually pretty critical to the behavior. Thicker bypass plates soften the shock's overall damping, thinner or no bypass shims can make the shock much firmer overall. (Note that the stiffest settings in this chart don't use bypass shims.)

For the rear shocks, I wanted to soften the compression a bit. Not knowing exactly where to start, I just bought a set of the "60" compression shims. Doing that made the rear end ride like a Cadillac. But when loaded with gear it was a little mushy. So, cut to the chase, this is what I've done:

Rebound stack: Stiffened it up a bit by replacing plates #3 and #4 with 0.50mm thick versions (up from 0.45mm).

Compression stack: Stiffened it just a tad from the basic "60" setting by going to a slightly thinner (0.15mm) bypass plates.

By this time I was getting pretty good at pulling the shocks apart. So I decided to soften the front shocks' compression too, but only slightly. I did so by swapping the bypass plates with thicker (0.15mm) plates. Now it seems to ride really nicely AND handle rough terrain with even more grace. I'll report back once I take it out to the desert again.
Attached Images

Patrick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #48
chico

Member Number: 936

Sweet!
chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #49
kiks1272

Member Number: 6982

I ve also had a bite of a issue with my shock set up

http://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/sus...ng-shocks.html
kiks1272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #50
Julian537

Member Number: 970

one tech tip. The ford shock towers have holes that are less than 1/2" i.D. Do yourself a favor and drill them to 1/2" diameter before welding or installing. It was a pain to drill mine, after they were installed.
Julian537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #51
Patrick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian537 View Post
one tech tip. The ford shock towers have holes that are less than 1/2" i.D. Do yourself a favor and drill them to 1/2" diameter before welding or installing. It was a pain to drill mine, after they were installed.
Did I not mention this above somewhere? Thought I did. But it's worth saying twice. Yep, I was warned about this by a friend before I started. First thing I did was chase the holes with a half-inch drill. I think these towers must be made for metric hardware.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #52
Patrick Morris

Been a couple years since I added an update to this project. So far the above valvings seem to work well in almost all conditions. The only terrain were the suspension seemed lacking was when driving on really wooped-out roads in the desert BLM lands east of San Diego. Too many quads and pre-runner trucks traveling some of the trails out there, really wreck the terrain. But whater yagonna do. They're entitled to have their fun as well.

So anyway, those repeated porpoise-dives, one after another in a Scout.... being a bit nose-heavy and having just a 100" WB... I would need a LOT more shock to handle it. More fade-free compression damping anyway for sure. But I just avoid those kinds of trails for the most part anyway. Mine's a camping/expedition rig, not a race truck.

I noticed last year that one of my shocks was leaking oil. Close inspection revealed some mysterious pitting on the shock shaft. Long story short, I found that pitting had shredded the seal a little. So I replaced the shaft and seal. It's all good again.

Another new thing is, I modified my front spring plates and shock mounts last summer. I had been living with the spring plates as they were before I added the 7100s, but I finally decided to do things a little better. Below are some random pics from the project. You can see that for the passenger side, I've stuck with the stock-type spring plates. I just made them super-duty by boxing them up with steel and adding a "skid ramp" to the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS_plate_finished_installed.jpg (46.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DS_plate_finished_installed.jpg (52.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg PS_plate_welded.jpg (60.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg PS_plate_finished_installed2.jpg (50.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg PS_plate_finished_1.jpg (58.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg PS_shock_installed.jpg (44.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg PS_viewed_from_front.jpg (45.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DS_viewed_from_front.jpg (34.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Patrick Morris; 02-14-2017 at 04:19 PM..