IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #16
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904
Default Re: New old scout 800 project

Awesome work! I'm doing some of the same stuff on my '74. Rust repair for days! Lol. The channel you used for the body mount, was it an IH repair part or from the steel store? I made one with some 1/8" flat bar welded together. Yours is nicer!

1979 Scout II, 304, 3.73, 31" tires, Spartan locker in the rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #17
Rustbucket

Member Number: 8202

Thank you! Pick away at it little by little. I used 11g and had a local shop bend me 2 channels. One for ds and ps. I gave them the original as a template. Only cost me $40. It was worth it. I got my fuel lines and brake lines bent up. I single line from front to rear. Pita. They are not mounted yet because I laid under the beast and wire wheeled the frame (under the cab, but not the bed yet) and rust converted and then bed lined it. I also mounted the fly wheel and clutch. But I didn't take any pictures yet. I plan to mount the bell housing this week. I have also been working on more rust repair on my door jam, again without pictures. And I got side tracked with trying to fix my old sprunger drill press. It had some run out and was wobbling. I tore it apart and pulled the bearings and quill. One original bearing and one crappy replacement. I ordered 2 new bearings. Should be here Tuesday, so I will put it back together and see if that takes care of the wobble in the quill/chuck. I have to double flare the brake lines and tear apart the master cylinder. Clearance the frame for the cj5 filler tubes. Order new tranny mounts. Cut the new floor and weld it in. Finish my door jam. Finish fixing inner fender about vents. Finish door hinges for drivers side. New freeze plugs in engine. Check cam shaft to see if fuel pump lobe is flattened.... And then.... And then.... And then...
Rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
punjig

Member Number: 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
I want to drive it this summer. I do not plan on it being perfect. I just want it to move around under its own power.
Funny how things work out with these scouts. They always start with a "I think I'll change out that leaky carb".

Next thing you know, you got all of your time and most of the family savings into it! Not to mention a wife who now hates (jealous of) our scouts!!!

looking great, keep up the good work.

The World Is Full Of Kings And Queens, Who'll Blind Your Eyes And Steal Your Dreams!!! Heaven And Hell R.I.P. RJD
punjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #19
Rustbucket

So, it has been a little while since I posted. I have more photos of the work I have done on the Scout, but my computer has been having problems downloading photos from my phone. But, I have installed the transmission and transfer case. I ordered urethane transmission mounts and installed them as well. I started on my cj5 gas tank mounts and welled some square tube across the rear frame. I notched the passenger side rear frame rail so the filler tube can fit between the body and the frame. I sourced a filler tube with vent and fuel door from an isuzu rodeo. I plan on hiding the gas fill behind the brake light (I saw this on another forum, I think its pretty trick) and use the fuel door hinge on the brake light housing. I am currently working on my door jam and the inner fender (where it mounts to the kick panel) and brake master cylinder. If you scroll back through my pictures you'll see the piece I cut out. I scored a parts Scout and tore everything off that I could salvage. I have a Dana 44 rear and a Dana 30 front with 3:07 gears. They look nicer than my axles, but they are not spring over. I might use them.... The Scout was a "doll up" that had a barn fall on it. The removable top was trash, but someone had snagged the roof rack and sliding windows and the drivers quarter panel. I have steering column, dash with good dash pad, fenders, hood, steering box, axles, tranny tunnel, nose, and radiator core support with original v8 radiator. I would have pulled the motor and tranny, but I just had no place to store them. Drop me a line if anyone is interested. My computer still won't let me upload photos.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #20
Rustbucket

I got the computer to download the pictures finally!!

Name:  IMG_4680.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4681.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4682.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4683.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  58.3 KB
Old 10-25-2016, 05:32 AM   #21
Rustbucket

So, after going to through my photos, I realize, I have not taken enough pictures recently. There are non of my fuel tank mounts or my fuel/brake lines mounted. I have been slowly working on the door jam/sill. So, I will go outside and take some more photos and upload them to prove I am making some progress....

Yesterday I just finished cutting and bending my inner fender (that goes outs side of the kick panel, but above the vent and the top hinge mount gets welded to it). It is a pretty pia structural part of the cab. I have been going really slow with it so hopefully I do it right. In the process of doing this, I threw down for some copper weld through primer. I don't want to have this rust again, so before I weld these back together, they are getting painted. I have some other weld through primer, but it is not that good when you are doing low amperage welding (like sheet metal). It causes too much splatter and gassing in the weld. I decided I would make my gauge cluster removable as well as my dash. So, I ordered some weather proof connectors off of amazon, and they should arrive in the next week or two. I will take pictures of that and post it once it is done. I plan on rewiring the whole thing, but in the mean time, I will make it easy for me to work on stuff. I plan on getting one of those bulkhead connectors as well so I can avoid rubber grommets and cut wires. I think I will go with one of those ez wire kits. They seem pretty good. Some last thoughts on my bend floor... I think I am going to try and find a junk yard bed from a pick up truck and use it as my floor, cut to fit. I don't know... We will have to see.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #22
Rustbucket

Here is the panel I have been working on slowly.

I started by making a poster cardboard template
Name:  IMG_4795.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  51.5 KB
I used dykem and transferred my tp, then cut, ground, and bent the metal
Name:  IMG_4796.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4797.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  30.2 KB
I welded and ground along the curved seam.
Name:  IMG_4798.jpg
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4799.jpg
Size:  54.2 KB
I tacked the flange portion of the piece to the main body.
Name:  IMG_4800.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  33.4 KB

...more to follow today
Old 10-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #23
Rustbucket

Is raining here today. I finished welding and grinding the piece for my inner fender. Here she is;

here is the piece after I finished welding it....
Name:  IMG_4801.jpg
Size:  25.5 KB

Here it is clamped in place. You can see I will have to lift the inner fender to match the lines.
Name:  IMG_4802.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  51.6 KB

I May have to trim a little off the bottom. It looks like it interferes with the vent louvres.
Name:  IMG_4804.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  42.2 KB

I have to grind down some of my plug welds before I weld it on. I also bought some weld through primer, but because of the rain I am not going to paint anything today. I plan on hitting the surface rust with a wire brush on my angle grinder and then using the primer. More pictures to follow.