IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Engine Cooling & Mobile HVAC Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
kjc-01

Member Number: 1174
Default new water tube leaking

While replacing the water pump on my '70 1200d 345 I made the mistake of removing the water tubes. After buying new water tubes and o-rings from ihoa, I cleaned up the bores with a brake hone. O-rings were dressed with hyomar and tubes installed for a coolant flush. Water poured from the passenger side water tube/water pump housing joint with zero pressure on the cooling system. I removed the tube and re-dressed the o-ring with fresh hylomar and got the same effect.

My plan is to find the next size bigger o-ring (2-217 with the 1-3/16 id instead of the stock 2-216 with the 1-1/8 id) and verify the location where the o-ring seats in the pump housing is defect-free. I think the hylomar is made more for dressing gaskets and sealing joints rather than sealing o-rings since it is so stiff once the solvent evaporates.

Does anybody have recommendations for an alternate o-ring sealant like permatex form-a-gasket #2 or plumbers grease?
kjc-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Major Screwup

Member Number: 537
Default Re: new water tube leaking

Those tubes move around with expansion and contration, so don't use a sealer that will harden. I've used waterproof silicone grease with good luck.
The oring makes the seal not the goop.
A bigger oring won't work, but you might try a couple wraps of teflon tape on
the tube before ya put the oring on.

It takes a lot of balls to build bearings

440 Scout ll

15 CTS-V

Last edited by Major Screwup; 04-06-2013 at 08:30 PM..
Major Screwup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Hopefully you didn't remove too much metal with the hone. I recently did this job on a 345. All I did was wire brush out the holes on the pump housing and cylinder head. Then I moistened the new o-rings with brake fluid. The o-ring lips/grooves on the water tubes weren't in that great of shape either, but it didn't matter. Both tubes sealed up tight as a drum on both ends even under pressure.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

For referance.
The o rings only need a bit of lube to assist compressing as it slips in. Also you should have to apply a good bit of force to get the tube in place. Try a bigger ring as you or some one else mentioned... Many times erosion and or po working can increase the bore.....

If you have pitting a bit of sealant can be used to fill them but not to smother the ring.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
dkminors

Member Number: 1337

I did use a bit of hylomar on mine and it seemed to work fine.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
kjc-01

I think I have solved the leaking problem. The o-rings were rolling out of their glands during tube installation, most likely due to the tacky hylomar. I cleaned the hylomar off the o-rings, tubes, heads, and water pump with acetone, lubed the o-rings and id of the holes with silicone grease, and after multiple attempts was able to coerce the tubes in without the o-rings squirting out of their glands. I test fit a set of 2-217 o-rings during this and they did not fit snug on the id, so did not use them. No leaks were seen during a hose flush of the cooling system. Next step is running under pressure once I get the new thermostat in.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
kjc-01

Default Success!

I am happy to report that the cooling system has been reassembled successfully and run with a 7 psi cap with no leaks. I am not brave enough to run the 16 psi one on this stock radiator. Thanks to the new water pump, thermostat, gaskets, water tubes, o-rings, and hoses from IHPA and this forum for all the help.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
chopperkarl

Member Number: 5523

I was having same problem getting the water pipe to seal. Finally, I coated the channel where the o-ring seats onto the pipe with permatex #3 aviation sealant. I let it dry for an hour (to get tacky) then carefully put the o-ring on top (making sure no sealant got on the o.d. I let the pipe dry for 48hrs, then coated the I.d. Of the water pump with silicone grease. After assembly it held water. Hope this helps the next guy.
-karl
chopperkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
MedMarine64

Member Number: 6422
Default Re: Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc-01 View Post
I am happy to report that the cooling system has been reassembled successfully and run with a 7 psi cap with no leaks. I am not brave enough to run the 16 psi one on this stock radiator. Thanks to the new water pump, thermostat, gaskets, water tubes, o-rings, and hoses from IHPA and this forum for all the help.
My mechanic friend is unsure how to mount the new thermostat housing gaskets; help needed Now please as I did not remove the old ones.
MedMarine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:05 AM   #10
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

Mount them so that the holes line up, vertically.
One (1) water hole and two (2) bolt holes.

I will withhold comment on your mechanic.

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:55 AM   #11
WillyMcG

Member Number: 8578

Is there a best method for getting the tube & oring to seat in the engine block end? I basically get it flush, push with all my might to no avail , then just tighten up the “lock nut” that covers the top lip of the tube at the block. Upon tightening the tube “pops” into place but only the top portion behind the nut. The bottom never seats & leaks a bit of coolant when the engine is running. It doesn’t leak when the engine is not running. I have tried pulling down on the tube from under the vehicle with the locknut in place but that doesn’t work either.
WillyMcG is offline   Reply With Quote