IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Engine Cooling & Mobile HVAC Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39
Default Re: Thermostat confusion

Most definitely ! Jeff
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
...get the 180 or 195 degree t-stat. I prefer the 195, but either will do fine for your needs.
Yes: the higher rated thermostats will often allow for better cooling, due to the thermodynamic qualities of the cooling system. The stamped temp on the t-stat is when the unit is fully open. Often, the t-stat functions in a partially-open state, regulating coolant flow for proper cooling. I use a stock spec. 195 deg t-stat in my 304 (with stock 2-row radiator), and never have overheating issues.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #18
MedMarine64

Member Number: 6422
Unhappy Re: Thermostat confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kenney View Post
Heycharger
this sight is provided for and owned by an International light line dealer and complete IH parts supplier.
We don't allow posting information or links to competing businesses.

We do ask that you post any questions you need help with and the crew or member will take care of you and point you to the appropriate solution.
As I have trouble getting the thermostat gaskets to work right and got NO useful data here; it is too bad you refuse us the right to seek info elsewhere. I cannot find pictures of the right orientation of gasket to housings. Even my Shop Manuual does not show it.
Two of us flipped it in all the ways we could think of and the holes do not all line up.
MedMarine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMarine64 View Post
As I have trouble getting the thermostat gaskets to work right and got NO useful data here; it is too bad you refuse us the right to seek info elsewhere. I cannot find pictures of the right orientation of gasket to housings. Even my Shop Manuual does not show it.
Two of us flipped it in all the ways we could think of and the holes do not all line up.
Post a picture of the parts you have so we can figure out why you are having difficulty with this. It's hard to envision what you are talking about without directly seeing what you have in front of you. Either you have some off the wall parts, the gasket you got was wrong or ?? In the words of Jerry Maguire "Help me help you".

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
MedMarine64

I got those gaskets and a fuel pump from your site last week.
My friend works MOPAR a lot. Maybe I am really confused after owning IH trucks since 1979.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #21
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

I think you may be confused by the four (4) bolt holes in the thermostat housing?

The housing has four holes as the housing is utilized on the IH SV-8 engine and the IH I-4 engines. In either installation, only two of the four holes are utilized. The two at approximately 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock positions. The unused bolt holes for the IH SV-8 engine are at the 1 o'clock & 7 o'clock positions. With the water bypass outlet facing forward to the water pump. you will see that there is only one way to install everything.

So, Step 1. Place one new gasket on the intake manifold so that the two holes in the gasket align with the two holes in the intake manifold with the large water hole centered over the large hole.

Step 2. Place the thermostat housing onto the first gasket so that the water bypass points to the water pump and the two bolt holes align with the two holes in the gasket.

Step 3. Place the thermostat in the housing with the "pill" down towards the intake manifold.

Step 4. Place the second gasket on top of the thermostat housing to align with the t-stat and two bolt holes.

Step 5. Place you water neck on top of the second gasket to align with the two bolt holes. Inset the two bolts and tighten to specification.

Be sure to use the proper gasket sealer on each gasket.

Here is a pic of the thermostat housing installed. Note that one of the unused bolt holes has been ground off and there are now only three bolt holes, yet only two bolts holes are utilized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Temp Sensor Wire.jpg (98.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 003 Unbolt water outlet with 9-16ths socket.jpg (92.2 KB, 63 views)

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina

Last edited by 1975IH200; 08-23-2017 at 02:15 PM..
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #22
MedMarine64

Thumbs up Re: Thermostat confusion

Many thanks for this; I change them so infrequently that I forgot the where and how of it.
My Shop Manual for this is a bit vague on details.
PS: anyone needing data or pictures from that Travelall (Lightline) Shop manual is welcome to copies from it.