IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #151
dkminors

Member Number: 1337
Default Re: I-4 and SV Engine Non-Oiling Rocker Assembly

As soon as I posted that I realized it wasn't what you were asking about. That is the tool I use to pop in the push rods. I don't think I used an specific tool to remove the springs. As I recall it was a bit ugly using a few different tools for leverage. I did it with the heads still installed and using compressed air to keep the valves in place.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #152
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

These work in a pinch and also for removing the spring with the head on the engine. Many similar looking versions out there but not all work as well as this one. It is the same one that I have in my tool cabinet.
Attached Images

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #153
Richard

Member Number: 969

Hey, I figured it out. Saw another reply where someone took a large socket and hammer and gently "smacked" the top of the springs. That loosened the "keepers". C-clamp does work. Duh!
Onward and upward!!!!
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #154
Richard

Ok, got the heads off, cleaned and they look very nice for sitting 30 years. Question: has anyone ported/polished the heads/intake manifold? Is this worth the time/$$$ given the restrictive flow of the 345?
Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #155
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

In the simplest of terms, it's a waste of money.

The IH sv can be brought up in power, but not like you would expect (for example) from a small block Chevy.

A simple porting/polish won't not do anything.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #156
Richard

I appreciate the response. Helps save $$$. Just needed to confirm before I put this thing back together. On another note: the umbrella seals vs. The standard ones? Any thoughts?
Old 06-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #157
chevy43

Member Number: 4478

Is the disassembly of the rocker being advised for all engines that have been sitting for a long time or just ones that are knocking?
chevy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #158
harrywt

Member Number: 1181

Yes, low rev engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kenney View Post
in the simplest of terms, it's a waste of money.

The IH sv can be brought up in power, but not like you would expect (for example) from a small block Chevy.

A simple porting/polish won't not do anything.
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #159
harrywt

Member Number: 1181

That's a tough one. If the truck has been sitting you definitely want to spin the oil pump with a drill motor. Ideally you verify that oil is flowing up to the rockers. The only way to do that is to remove the valve covers. Ideally you have a set of half covers to keep oil from running all over the place.

Rocker noise is likely to be from lifters so re assembling rocker arms wont fix them. If you remove lifters and put them back remember that everything has to go back where it was!

If you are going that route post here at IHPA and get opinions. There are plenty of people here that know more than me.

Have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy43 View Post
Is the disassembly of the rocker being advised for all engines that have been sitting for a long time or just ones that are knocking?
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:04 AM   #160
428street

Member Number: 7660

Looking to see if I can get some input from the group. It's a long story and I will try to keep on point.

Like many I was bitten recently by the IH bug. Started with one, now I have 4 in all levels of condition. I really don't have much time for these with work, kids, life but these things get under your skin so I find time. I'm also not a trained mechanic I just love doing the stuff and learning as I go. I am technical and mechanical by nature but no formal training.

I bought a 70 SR-2, all original but rotten pretty good. Needs a new tub but drive train all there, engine, etc. 304, auto from factory.

I started the process of resurrection knowing nothing about the vehicles history. I found the OP of this articles saved PDF, Old iron comes to life and have been trying to get my arms around it with my first attempt as a failure. I'm also not following it exactly, and by that I did not hook up an oil pressure gauge because I didn't have one and not sure where to get one although it might be simple. My goal was to just make sure I see the oil coming out the 3rd rocker on each side like he explains and go from there. Before I put a lot of time and money I need to fire this engine and before that I need to do this procedure.

So, here is where I am at after going through 2/3 cheap drills I bought a big $300 1750 rpm drill to use in the dizzy opening to get to the oil pump.

For the first minute or so the drill was going backwards and I hope I didn't do any damage but it's done if so. Then after that I switch the direction and let the drill run on hight for 3 minutes. Nothing coming out of the heads at all anywhere.

I regrouped and pump the drill on for another 5 minutes and same result, no oil coming out on top. At that point I quit and said OK let me ask for help. I think I need to get one of those portable oil pressure gauges but not sure where or what type of line/fittings I would need as well.

It is also very possible the engine is toast but I was able to move the crank a very little bit and it was easy to turn. I didn't do much more than make sure it wasn't seized after reading MM article to be clear.

So, any help from the resident experts?
Attached Images

428street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #161
Winchested

Member Number: 9303

you have to rotate the engine/cam. The cam bearings are what feed the rockers. So once you have good pressure. Rotate the engine clockwise until you start to see some oil at the rockers.

Get an 1/8" npt gauge that goes to say 60 psi. Put it in the drivers side oil galley next to the oem pressure sender.
Winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #162
428street

Thanks for the response so my problem might be that I am blocking the passages because of the rotation of the CS and cam in its current spot?

Any idea where I can get said gauge? JEGS, Summit, local auto parts store?
Old 09-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #163
Winchested

Member Number: 9303

Should be able to find one even at the local hardware store. Even a gauge for a air compressor would be fine.
Winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #164
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

I would get an external oil pressure gauge from the parts store. A cheapie with the capillary tubing. Plumb it into the oil galley just forward of the stock sender. There will be a series of plugs front to back that correspond to the main bearing oil passages. They will all have pressure (or should) when the drill is moving the pump. Now you can be sure of pump function.
As far as oil getting to the rockers, it will not flow constantly as with other engines. The cam bearing is drilled to "spit" oil thru the passage in the heads up to the rockers. If the cam isn't lined up, little (or no) oil will flow. I understand the apprehension of spinning a dead motor by hand, but at this point, (verify this with your pressure gauge test) you can be reasonably sure the main and cam bearings have been flooded with oil. It should be safe at this point to gently crank the engine by hand until you get the cam holes lined up to flood the rocker assembly. You'll need a helper for this as someone has to run the drill and someone run the wrench.
Getting lube to the cam bearings on a dead motor is the prime concern. Obviously oil at the rockers is important too, but its a much easier fix R&R'ing the rockers than the cam bearings.
Also, if the top end isn't all sludged up, the rockers should oil up as soon as they get pressure. Lack of maintenance, low oil level, over heating...they all cause sludge. If you can see it, you can be sure it'll be worse where you can't see it.
Let us know how it goes.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #165
428street

Roger that, I was kind of looking for an all in one package on the oil pressure gauge but I'll work with the local guys to make something work...I need a gauge, tube and fitting...I'll have to look at the block and follow your instructions on which is the right one to open to put this gauge in. Can I not just find the OEM one and use that hole to put my test gauge in to make it easier?

Makes sense on the two person job for sure. I did look down the openings on the heads and there seems to be oil around the lifters in each hole as well.

When i took the VC off last year when I got the truck it was a mess inside and the returns were all clogged up. I have since carefully cleaned them out and took as much of the slug off as I could. I know long term this is a rebuild but for now I'm assessing the viability of the engine before I spend to much money on the turd
Attached Images