IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > New Products at IH Parts America
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #16
Jesse B.

Member Number: 18
Default Re: Aluminum Radiators for Scout II

[quote=Joe d.;6200]you can't do a direct comparison between brass and aluminum radiators, the properties of the metals are very different. The rows are shaped differently, aluminum is welded not soldered, copper is better at transferring heat, and on it goes.

I did do what I feel is an accurate comparison in my '92 3/4 ton 454 Chevy. Stock was a 4-row brass radiator, with 1/2" brass rows. The truck would occasionally run warm at idle, but fine while driving and towing. While replacing the power steering pump I punched a hole in the radiator. I replaced it with a new aluminum radiator spec'd for a '97 Chevy 1/2 ton. Dimensionally they were the same, except the new one had a single 1 1/4" row. Idle temps now stay steady, and the truck absolutely never runs hot, even when towing 8k and carrying a cabover camper.

This tells me that (1) 1 1/4" aluminum row is as good as (4) 1/2" brass rows, with substantially improved airflow at low speeds.quote]

I wasn't attempting to do a direct comparison, I am well aware of the different properties between the two types of materials, as well as the methods of construction. I am only attempting to determine how many other types Of differences there are. The only real comparison will be when one of these radiators is swapped for a stock one. While your experience with your chevrolet is one comparison, it is only anecdotal since you are dealing with different components and manufacturers. We don't know whether your stock Chevy radiator was built the same as the International, nor do we know whether your aluminum radiator was built the same as the ones that are being custom built for the scouts. There are as many ways to build a radiator as there are radiator manufacturers. Thanks,
F.A.S.T. Fuel Injected IC392
TF 727, D300 (LoMax 4:1)
SOA, SpyderTrax Rear, Hi-9 and ARB
HP Dana 44 Front, Auburn Locker
IH Parts America RS
IHCustoms Full Cage
Jesse B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
Craig

Member Number: 5

As for the weight, I would guess about half the weight. It's like comparing the aluminum manifolds Jeff sells. So it goes from damm this thing is heavy to I can install or remove it myself without smashin it on the water pump as for the difference between brass or aluminum I really don't care, I'm like you let see what these can do in real life.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
binderbasher

Member Number: 16

Any updates?
binderbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #19
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Radiators showed up on Monday. Pics to come soon as we get one installed.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
TheDon

Member Number: 582

Jeff, that's a good price for an aluminum radiator! I paid more than that last year directly from griffin for my traveler's aluminum radiator.

To offer an answer directly to one of the previously-asked questions-- my traveler has the stock temp gauge but an aftermarket, quantifiable temp gauge on my transmission. With the aluminum radiator, the engine was running cooler "about the width of the needle". The transmission runs a consistent 15-18 degrees cooler. It's the original 345/727 combo with no mods, though the truck is on a 4" lift and 33's.

Hth.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
AnArticulateMatter

Member Number: 754
Question Re: Aluminum Radiators for Scout II

These available yet?

'78 Traveler 345/727. abused cancer patient. now the donor truck.
AnArticulateMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarticulatematter View Post
these available yet?
Kind of.

I have already installed two of them and they are a tight fit due to the core being so thick(duel 1 1/4" rows which is comparable to a 5 row copper radiator). However the one in my Scout is cooling approximately 10* on average so far compared to the 4 row I just removed. The second one that I've installed is leaving in a short while so no feedback on that install yet. I have two more of these radiators here but they so far have been somewhat of a chore to install since the tolerances are tighter than the stock radiator. If you feel confident in your skills to install one of these then I will gladly sell you one otherwise I am going to hang onto these for a in shop install. I am going to order a couple more of these radiators but have them made with dual 1" rows which will be easier to install since the core isn't as thick as the duel 1 1/4" row radiator. If you're interested in one of those let me know. I am in the process of updating this thread with install pictures so stay tuned.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #23
Scouty

Member Number: 8

Finally was able to put some miles on the Scout with the new radiator. Big thanks to Jeff for installing the radiator at no cost since the floating mechanism brackets that came with the radiator needed more rd before they could be put out on the road/trail. Jeff will have to provide the installation procedures.

A few things have changed, so a straight comparison between the original radiator and the new aluminum one won't be possible. Prior to the install I only had a stock temp gauge, since the install I've gone to a gauge with actual numbers. Also Jeff noticed I had the wrong thermostate, so he replaced it with one that he stocks.

This radiator is really thick, fortunetly I'm running a direct fan (no fan clutch), my motor is in the stock position. The night I picked it up from Jeff's, I drove it almost 20 miles, the stock gauge barely registered a quarter of the line while driving freeway speeds. Once off the freeway the gauge moved to half way between the quarter Mark and the half way Mark of the gauge. With a more accurate gauge, the Scout runs between 160 and 170 on the freeway, sitting at idle for 10 to 15 minutes it runs between 180 and 185, I can watch the temprature go up and down while as the thermostate is opening and closing. The temp never once went past 190 degrees. It has been fairly cold here, and I haven't had the truck on the trail. I plan to go up to the snow this weekend, will report temps when I get back.

73 Scout II
74 Scout II
Scouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #24
Scouty

Here are a few more pics

73 Scout II
74 Scout II
Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
russ fullingim

Member Number: 576

Jeff
what is the distance from the radiator to the grill
I have that pusher fan on my Scout and need 3.5 inches
what is the shippin cost
thks
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #26
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ fullingim View Post
Jeff
what is the distance from the radiator to the grill
I have that pusher fan on my Scout and need 3.5 inches
what is the shippin cost
thks
The measurement between the radiator and the grill should remain the same. First chance I get I'll measure up mine and let you know if its different. Shipping costs from CA to or should be about $40.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #27
Scouty

Update regarding my aluminum radiator. Noticed the last couple of snow trips and playing out at folsom lake that at low rpms or crawling, the Scout was running between 200 and 210 degrees. At idle the temp would stay right around 210. At highway speeds the temp would drop to 175 or 180. Regular street driving the temp stayed between 180 and 190. Considering I'm running louvers in the hood, cut a bunch of the inner fenders out, and run a fixed fan and shroud, needless to say I wasn't happy with the results.

So today I pulled the thermostat housing and found it to be a total mess inside (see pics below). Found a bunch of rust and looks like a piece of the internal bowl broke. While I had the housing off I replaced the Robert shaw thermostat with a napa thermostat. Flushed the system, replaced the spark plug wires, and put in a new fuel filter. I let the truck idle in the driveway for almost an hour and it never went over 190. Drove it around the neighborhood in 1st gear and the temp dropped below 180.

Plan to take it out next weekend for more testing.

73 Scout II
74 Scout II
Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #28
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Thanks for the update Matt. Sorry to hear you were not happy with the thermostat that I installed as it is the proper one to use in this particular application. Please return the robertshaw thermostat at your earliest convenience back to me as I would like to test it for defects.

As for my own Scout I have been driving it in both traffic with the air conditioning on, towing, crawling around on my property and hi speed runs and have yet to see my temperature go over 200 degrees and that is with a 195 degree thermostat.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
Binder Books
(530)274-1795
Old 03-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #29
Scouty

It's hard to say if the thermostat is or was the problem. Could have been the housing not allowing the water to flow properly. I also noticed the truck ran a lot smoother after I changed the plug wires and fuel filter, the improved idle could have increased the air flow generated by the fan. It hasn't seen real trail duty yet, so I can't say for sure the heat issues are over. If I find that truck really runs cooler after these modification, I plan to put the robertshaw thermostat back in and see what happens. Will post results within the next couple of weeks.

73 Scout II
74 Scout II
Old 06-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
AnArticulateMatter

Member Number: 754

Are these still in the works??

'78 Traveler 345/727. abused cancer patient. now the donor truck.
AnArticulateMatter is offline   Reply With Quote