IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
michaelp

Member Number: 764
Default Re: Electrical System Upgrade: Remote Starter Relay Installation

In my v8 800B, the battery is mounted on the drivers side. Can I connect the battery cable to the right side lug of the solenoid instead of left, and then go solenoid to starter on the left side lug?

Or can I mount the solenoid upside down?

Also, my two small terminals on the front of the remote solenoid are marked "s" and "I" - s is the left, I is the right. If I go b+ into the right side solenoid lug, can I still attached the stuff that was on the s terminal on the starter to the s side of the remote solenoid, or because I'm reversed do I have to attach to the I terminal? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
michaelp

Member Number: 764

I did this install today and answered my own questions. I just reversed the b+ stuff to the right side, starter cable to the left side, kept the s stuff on the s terminal on the remote solenoid, and it works like I charm. I started it up in 85 degree weather after driving for 1/2 hour and shutting down, and it started right back up.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
moosebrew

Member Number: 1286

I know this is an older tech thread but in case anyone else reading it was wondering like I was. You said you are using 2ga wire for this. I wanted to just confirm this is really 2ga and not 2/0ga? .25" diameter vs .36" diameter.

Thanks for the great tech write up. I'm gathering the needed parts to do this when the rain stops!

Mark
moosebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
sawmiller

Member Number: 2938
Thumbs up Re: Electrical System Upgrade: Remote Starter Relay Installation

Hi Craig et.al. Just a note.
Solder is higher resistance than copper wire; therefore, crimp-apply force to press copper strands together- then solder.
The electrical connection is one of physical contact - the solder is just to keep it wiggle free. I made jumper cables which had a really nice solder connect and they never worked right.
sawmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
Craig

Member Number: 5

Your right solder has more resistance over pure copper.

The best connection would be crimped for a strong mechanical connection, and then soldered to keep it clean and corrosion free. Then top it off with some adhesive heat shrink from the marine shop.

If your doing just crimp only, you can add some no-'ox-id grease to help with corrosion from road salts or start with tinned wire from gregs Marine wire.

if you want to go all out you could get some dlo cable, I have some at home just waiting for just that special place.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #21
sawmiller

Member Number: 2938
Thumbs up Re: Electrical System Upgrade: Remote Starter Relay Installation

Craig, after my jumper cable experience - I'm paranoid. Real heavy duty clamps etc. But com'l thread bare cables 3 or 4 sizes smaller worked far better.

I think I'll use the lead sinker method - it's so convenient and it's got to be ok. I can probably pinch the top 1/4" or so.

My sii is just a yard vehicle that I use to plow the driveway but it should be as good as restored, functionally speaking. I have a commando, austin-western, let-westinghouse, a-c road graders but I like the Scout. I stumbled on the starter/dead btry promlem by accident and added a couple push buttons but I'm very excited abt fixing it properly after reading the threads here. Larry
sawmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Craig

Member Number: 5

Sounds like a plan. I use 50/50 rosin code solder. It's a very fine solder used for electronic work. I reel off a few feet and fold that in half and then in half again, then twisted it, making it a one be fat stick. Then use the propane torch.
The local welding store can make cables too. Plus they have the crimp tool.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #23
Richard

Member Number: 969

hello out there! Working on getting this thing going.

79 Traveler / 345 /4BBL TQ / 727 TF / PS/PB/ D44 - 3.54 front and back / Tilt / Cruise / AC.

Without sounding like a total dolt, need some help here. I have the basic relay started - 2 large posts are for the battery cable to and from the starter/battery.
I need some help on the other two small wires. Looking at the pictures, there are more wires than I should have. Reading through MM's discussion and Help me understand where the original small wires (2 of them?) that were on the starter solenoid go. Are the wires themselves numbered (coded)? Is there a 10gauge wire in this setup?

Please and thanks:
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #24
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Have you run the short jumper from large solenoid terminal to 'S' terminal as first illustrated in post #8 of this thread?
That jumper and the large gauge cable running up to your remote relay will be the only wires/cables left connected to the solenoid.
The other smaller wires that were once connected to the solenoid will now be connected to various relay terminals.
any of those wires that have a larger ring terminal need to go to the battery side of the relay. That would be the terminal directly connected to the battery. That should only leave you with one wire having a small ring terminal. That should go to the relay 'S' terminal. That should take care of it. If not, you'd better post a picture of the terminal ends of the wires being relocated from the solenoid to the relay.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #25
Richard

Scout Boy:

appreciate the quick response. I think maybe I was asking: the two small wires that originally were on the starter solenoid, where do they go on the relay? I see that one small post is labeled "S", and the other "I". The reason for asking is that I accidentally cut the two wires from the solenoid and cannot identify them from the wire harness. are the two wires supposed to be numbered? FRICK, I hope so. If not, I am thinking that I need to search out farther up the wire loom to see where the two wires are connected. Any help would be appreciated. Dumb me! I have all of the other wires in the engine compartment located, identified, labeled. It's just the wires from the starter that is driving me nuts. Thanks
Old 07-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #26
Scoutboy74

The clipped ends are still attached to the solenoid, yes? Can you ID them that way? I, you, we, anybody else reading this thread needs a more definitive means of distinguishing between them beyond the vague description provided thus far. Not being an A-hole. You gotta help me help you. Gimme more to go on please.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 07-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #27
Richard

no problems at all with the response.

1 - no the clipped wires are not on the solenoid. I have three wires from that harness section: two 16-18 gauge, and one 10 gauge. Let me follow back up the wire harness and see if I can Identify any #s on the wires themselves.

2 - Back to basics: there is one large cable, got that one (goes to one post of the relay)

3 - I have completed the "jumper" from large post to "S" small post of solenoid.

4 - My question here is this: was there originally just one 16-18 gauge wire left, or were there two? That is my problem, I guess, and identifying them from the wire harness.

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #28
Scoutboy74

Ok. The 10ga would go to the battery side of your new relay, not the starter side. That's easy. The other two wires are both valid and necessary. The question is which goes where. The clipping as you now know was kind of a big goof. If those wires still had the ring terminals on them, this would be a no-brainer. One of them is your sense wire that runs back to alternator terminal #2. The other runs up to a firewall BHC and then to the 'S' terminal of the IGN SW. This is what triggers the starter motor to engage when you turn the key. So if you can identify the sense wire, (easiest) put a ring terminal on it large enough to attach to the battery side of your relay. By elimination, the other wire will be your trigger. Put a small ring terminal on it and hook it to the relay 'S' terminal. The 'I' terminal will be left vacant. That's about the best I can do for you short of being there to ogle and fondle the wires myself. If you could find legible circuit numbers on either of the wires, that would be super too.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #29
Richard

well....................
ok then, I will have to spend this weekend "playing" with the wires, trying to identify, follow, identify. I really do appreciate the response, and it helps a ton. As I mentioned, I have all of the other wires/harnesses in the engine compartment identified and labeled. Lights, side lights, heater, AC, coil, horn, marker lights, alt., etc. It's just this one last bunch, the starter. Stupid me for procrastinating so damn long. thank you, and will follow up when complete.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #30
Scoutboy74

Sure. Circuit #7 is the volt sense wire and circuit #17 is the start control if you can find any remnant of the numbers on the insulation, which is doubtful, especially since the ends have been clipped. The numbers may not have been legible anyway after so much heat and grime exposure over the years. If you have the factory service manual with the wiring diagrams, you can easily identify which BHC terminal #17 is attached to. My manual is for the earlier models, so the BHC design and layout is a bit different than what you have. I would expect that 17 should also show voltage when the IGN is switched to START, while 7 shouldn't be energized at all with the engine stopped.