IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
korda

Member Number: 8383
Default Turn Signal Switch Troubleshooting

Hello,
I have a 1962 Scout 80 that I've been plugging away at for a while. I repaired all the wiring in the vehicle. Everything is working with the exception of the left hand turn signals and a couple indicator lights.

When I turn the lever to the right you can hear the flasher and the lights flash normally. When you put the lever to the left nothing.

I started checking into it and it appears that when I put the lever down for the left hand signals the ground from the turn signal switch to the flasher base is not being made. Does this indicate the switch is bad? Any way to repair it? I'm seeing they're hard to find and I'm not $350 upset about it. Anyone know where I can find one?

Also, the indicator lights for the turn signals and the high beam don't illuminate. It May just be bulbs in the gauge or a ground. There is one bulb in the speedo that illuminates with the dash lights.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I should note it's the early all metal switch.
korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: Turn Signal Switch Troubleshooting

The tss and flasher are between the load and the +12 volt source. All grounds are made at the lights. If you have a ground failure nothing will happen but you would have to have a problem at both the front and tail light. The tss is a bugger to diagnose. It's doable but you'll need a vom and patience. I can walk you through it if you're wanting to take it on.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
korda

Let me check the grounds on that side again. All the lights work otherwise, just the left hand turn signal for whatever reason.

The black wire from the tss does not have continuity with ground when shifted left like it does when shifted right.

When I put the turn signals on right I get a alternating 12v at the blue wire like I would expect but when shifted to the left I get a constant 12v at the white wire but the light does not turn on.

For shits and giggles I grounded where the black wire from the tss connects to the flasher base with the lever shifted for the left side and got 1 flash before the fuse blew.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Sounds like a bad switch.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
korda

Do you know a good source for a replacement. The $350 for one seems extreme.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

I only know that they are few and far between.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
korda

So I'm finally back to working on this problem. I've managed to get everything working with the exception of the drivers side brake light. The drivers turn signal works which makes this all very frustrating.

I've actually got a NOS switch that I bent over for, before I swap that in does anyone have any other insight?
Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
korda

If anyone is following along, it was my switch. The brown wire was not putting out 12v when the brakes were applied but was with the turn signal. If I pushed down on the lever the brake lights would both work but since I bought a new switch I’ll put that in.