IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Sponsored Events > Great Western Binder Bee
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #31
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Great Western Binder Bee 2009 Edition

The whole ihon krew (minus Robert and Darren) are here, everything is set up! The featured vehicles came in last nite and are staged.

Gates open at 8a, it's show time!

And cary...the awards are wonderful, great work...all the team is impressed!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #32
Michael Mayben

Sunday morning report...

We've had a great turnout this year, registrations are up, walk-in visitors from the local communities have come out with all the family in tow, and a bunch of rigs that have never participated before are here!

Weather could not be better, it was rather chilly last night with day time high in the upper 70's.

The british columbian contingent is here (several of 'em in fact!), and the farthest traveled award went to bill out of thornton, co.

We had a huge raffle last nite which went on for more than a nhour, thank you to all our sponsors, members, and supporters who donated merchandise, without yawl we wouldn't be able to continue the bee tradition!

More to come when we all get home!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #33
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Thanks to the entire bee committee, volunteers, and attendees who played a roll in making the show such a great success. The fwb's with a cameo by sailor jerry, had a great time. We're all back in sweatsford now after sneaking out bright and early this morning.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #34
MarkO

Member Number: 740

I would like to thank michael and all of the gang for such a great event!

My wife, daughter, and I had a great time. I just wish we could have made the time to stay for the dinner and awards.

Maybe next year.

I have some thoughts about next year.

In the judging categories, I think a few more categories need to be added. A category for tractors (both large and small) needs to be added. The trucks and t-alls should have two classes with one class for pre-1961 and one class for post 1961 vehicles. And perhaps an additional class for pre-wwii vehicles.

I realize with more categories you will need more awards. More awards requires more expense and more man power to organize.

I also realize I am kibbutzing from a long way away and don't understand all of the work and effort (which I really do appreciate) that is required to pull off such a great event.

And I also realize that my ideas and a dollar bill can buy a cup of coffee in some places.

Keep up the good work and I hope to be able to be at the next bee for the whole weekend.
MarkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #35
Mark Ashford

Member Number: 1099

Good show again. Good job Mike tossing all together yet another year.

Nice turn out, and some new faces to old names!

I even had an entry this year!! But now award for "most recently acquired" :d

and it even "runs".... For the most part
Mark Ashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #36
Uncle Mike

Member Number: 798

I too would like to thank everyone who made the effort to put this on, and for everyone who brought a truck and all of our vendors.
We had a great time, and hope to take a more active roll next year.

Mike and kathy.
Uncle Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #37
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

I am glad it went well. I know mr. And mrs. Mayben put alot of time in to the bee as I am sure others did also. I am sorry to have missed it.

Talking to some sw guys and maybe we will get a large group together and make the long drive as a group in 2010. Way more fun that way and a built in support structure.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #38
Michael Mayben

Part one of bee/'09 recap from our end....

First off a huge thank you to all for attending the pardee! By far the greatest turnout ever, even in the down season we're all experiencing!!!

And we met face-to-face with folks we've been jawwin' with for years! The ericksens, the hamiltons (navy bill!), marko krew, etc. Kain't remember everyone! The washington and idaho contingent were back in force with no new litters dropped over the last year...guess Binder Bee breeding season is suspended until a new crop comes along!

The volunteer turnout was astounding, we lacked for nothing in the away of show production assistance! The binderkidz had a full day of fun thanks to Matt g., it's so nice to have a place like powerland for the bee where the kidz can just take off in a safe environment and do their thang! And between climbin' all over the fire trucks and the cool bus and bustin' up the IH tractor pinata provided by ihon, they had no complaints that nite about going to bed!

Six weeks ago, it looked like this would be the last year for the bee due to lack of an income stream...everything turned around immediately and we will be back for 2010!!!! Economic times are tuff for all of us right now, but somehow we all came together and made this happen once more...that is the American spirit!! Our sponsors and supporters came through and we had the most successful bee ever in terms of bean generation!

Preliminary numbers show we're in great shape for continuing funding for IHSTO and Binder Bee, keep in mind we have no income stream other than the bee which allows us to have fun continuously throughout each year and keep the politics out of IHSTO! We'll have the final tally to post soon regarding registrations, etc. But catch this...the vintage car and motorcycle group's bbq imploded due to lack of interest...and eighteen of their members joined us for shorty's satidy nite feed and the raffle!!!!

Many oldtimers from the area were here with some really unique rides! That means the local community did get the word and turned out in wonderful weather for the gathering!

We had a major caravan of the maycroft sr. And jr. Operation, the ismails, and Mike golick follow us all over to ken's place to wait while they sealed the deal with a big bottle of scotch with mr. Martin regarding Mike's acquisition of the '35 pickup...what a strange occurrence that was!

Everyone came home with us to continue the party (pics to come).

We finished off Mike golick's granpa l-112 yesterday,...he headed headed back to ukiah this morning. His german shorthair ran off yesterday morning even with her shock collar on!!, our vet across the highway captured her, scanned for a micro-chip, found one, and activated the amber alert system nationwide for hobie! Thirty minutes later, kathy had hobie and Mike loaded in the 'rango and back at binder u. What a great ending!

The '35 peekup will be delivered to binder u. In the next week or so to begin it's electro-mechanical rehab here before going down to ukiah for phase II. So watch for a new thread from Mike about that one! Mike sez he's got the ernie award in the bag already for 2010!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #39
Carl Wiese

Member Number: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I would like to thank michael and all of the gang for such a great event!

My wife, daughter, and I had a great time. I just wish we could have made the time to stay for the dinner and awards.

Maybe next year.

I have some thoughts about next year.

In the judging categories, I think a few more categories need to be added. A category for tractors (both large and small) needs to be added. The trucks and t-alls should have two classes with one class for pre-1961 and one class for post 1961 vehicles. And perhaps an additional class for pre-wwii vehicles.

I realize with more categories you will need more awards. More awards requires more expense and more man power to organize.

I also realize I am kibbutzing from a long way away and don't understand all of the work and effort (which I really do appreciate) that is required to pull off such a great event.

And I also realize that my ideas and a dollar bill can buy a cup of coffee in some places.

Keep up the good work and I hope to be able to be at the next bee for the whole weekend.
Mark,

I was glad to finally put a face with the screen name at this years bee. The antique powerland is the perfect place for an event like ours and I am glad your family got to enjoy it this year. We are always open to suggestions and input, thank you for yours.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #40
Michael Mayben

In digging through bee registration info, the numbers look like:

total registrations (fee paid): n=68

total exhibits: n=85

total sponsors: n=8

total hours of fun: n=national debt

thanks again to everyone who were with us both in spirit and on the ground for the most successful bee yet!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #41
Michael Mayben

Congratulations one more time to all our 2009 Binder Bee award winners!

We have two major categories, the "people's choice" group which is determined by a ballot included with each registrant's packet, and the "judged" group which is determined by a panel of three IH-knowledgeable IHSTO members.

The award plaques this year were produced by cary riley of rustic woods trophys in san jose, CA, cary also did our dash plaques and the coffee mugs! Cary is one of the producers of our sister show, the Sierra Fall Rallye coming up in October.

People's choice award:

truck-michael golick with grampa's l-112 pickup driven in from ukiah, CA

Travelall-Jeff wood, blue civil defense l-model t'all

Scout II-richard johnson's '74 sii purchased new from ernie bisio

Scout 80/800-pete cobarrubia (don't have the details of pete's rig)

modified-Mike roth's "uber" Scout with the 4.3 chev transplant

med/heavy-jack and shirley bailey's superb r-160 complete with a steel wheel mccormick-deering farmall on the deck, down from british columbia

judge's choice:

farthest traveled-bill boitano from thornton, co...bill trailered his sii out and then took it on the Sunday trail ride!

Best restored-Jeff wood's civil defense Travelall

best original-barb prince's '72 Travelall she bought new and is her daily driver!!! Barb worked for an IH dealer in Arizona back in the day and the rig was delivered there!

Unique IH-Mike roth's "cool bus", a '59 "a" t'all which served the maple grove school district for years and was found inna barn just a few miles from Mike's home!

Most extreme modified-jennifer davidson's sii "girlscout" which gains more character every time she takes it up the hill!

Best in show-pete cobarrubia's s800 which I still don't know the details of!

Bisio award-jack and shirley baily's r-160/farmall combo! We know ernie would be really proud of that rig and jack and shirley's extraordinary efforts in putting it all together..get this, the r truck is air conditioned!!!

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 07-17-2009 at 07:23 AM..
Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #42
scoutdude80

Member Number: 217

Any pics of the winners
scoutdude80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #43
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdude80 View Post
any pics of the winners
Nearly all the winner's (if not all) are in the photo series in this thread but not id'd as such cary:

http://www.forums.IHPartsAmerica.com...off-press.html

Drew is working on a "surprise" package for bee wrap-up (hopefully!!!) with more pics.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #44
Lyle Wiese

Member Number: 360

Mike,

this is pete's Scout.

Lyle
Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #45
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle wiese View Post
Mike,

this is pete's Scout.

Lyle
Thanks!

I wasn't sure if his was the orange one or the blue one!

Is pete's rig the one with the 4.3 v6 swapped in?? Or was that the orange one?? They are both superb rides!!!