IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Fabrication
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #16
firerami

Member Number: 1200
Default Re: Welding tech

I agree with you completely about the 110 mig. I bought one a few years back at harbor freight and soon wished I paid a littler more for a 220.

As for my question, I have a big lincoln stick welder I will use to buzz some spring perches onto my rear Dana 44 of my 76 Scout. The perches and hardware will be purchased here at iho of course. What type of rod and what amperage would be best ?
firerami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #17
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerami View Post
I agree with you completely about the 110 mig. I bought one a few years back at harbor freight and soon wished I paid a littler more for a 220.

As for my question, I have a big lincoln stick welder I will use to buzz some spring perches onto my rear Dana 44 of my 76 Scout. The perches and hardware will be purchased here at iho of course. What type of rod and what amperage would be best ?
Is it an ac or ac/dc machine?

Dysfunctional RockCrawlers
NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
cbmind

Member Number: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerami View Post

Ac use some 3/32 7018ac, if dc, use 3/32 7018. 75-100 amps. My two cents. Or get a bottle and tig it with some er70s2 or er70s6 1/8 and 5/32 wire at about 140 amps.
cbmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
cheese1

Member Number: 813

Noobie welding:
I am replacing the floors, toe boards and trans tunnel sides on my 800 and I haven't welded since high school shop class. I have a 110v lincoln 140 mig welder, floor pans, sheet metal brake and a desire to learn.
I've read the lincoln and miller tech articles about welding sheet metal. I plan on getting a bottle of c25 since that seems what is recommended. Fabricating the sheet metal shouldn't be so difficult. It's the welding I'm concerned about. Seems everything I've read from beginner welders is the burn thru issue. The welder came with .025 solid wire for mig should I consider anything else for wire? How about prepping the metal. The old sheet metal is good in some spots, rusty and pitted in others. Should the pitted material be cut out? Also, there is factory undercoating everywhere, should this be removed prior to welding? Lot's o questions. I'll have more I'm sure.

Last edited by cheese1; 04-12-2010 at 01:40 PM..
cheese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
reuben

Member Number: 35

If you are welding with solid wire the steel needs to be as clean as possable, flux core is more forgiving. The 025 wire is perfect for sheet metal. Just remember alternating short welds. If you try to just weld from one end to the other it will warp like crazy. When I do sheet metal I like to do 1/4-1/2 inch tacks all around. Get the corners tacked the do a short weld every 10"s or so, just go slow and work your way around.

http://www.thisdysfunctional.org

http://www.norcalscouts.com

reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
VEH

Member Number: 2336

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock tractor View Post
I think what you are asking about the aluminum is, " how much heat/amperage to use?". Is just depends
on the rod and thickness of material your welding. Also with aluminum it is super critical to have your material clean.
I would tig it.

The post with the picture of the slag pealing up was reubens. That was done with 6013 rod. Real common for that to happen with 6013, 7014 and you can even get it to happen with
7018 to an extent.
Use your torch to smut the aluminum. When it gets hot the smut will start to look like it is cracking, thats when it is hot and ready to weld.
VEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #22
kyleandhisIH

Member Number: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by veh View Post
use your torch to smut the aluminum. When it gets hot the smut will start to look like it is cracking, thats when it is hot and ready to weld.
This is what I was looking for. When I posted my original question I was trying to work with my uncle to oxyacetylene weld some broken portage handles on a 1930's-40's seamaid aluminum 14'. He apparently has appropriate rod, but we couldn't get the melt to happen correctly and it never got done permanent. Now that I've got a lot of literature handy, not to mention a tig at the school, it might end up happening before too long.

On another note... I've heard talk from several airframe/structural gurus in my avtech department that 110v is just fine and 220v is unnecessary, but then again aviation utilizes incredibly thin-walled tubing and paper-thin exhaust pipe. Why would an amateur welder end up unhappy with a 110v machine? I'm trying to convince a colleague to go 220v but he's dead-set on 110, even though he plans on primarily doing home fab/repair.

I'm also a little curious myself, so if anyone has experience with both, please chime in.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
Drew Merrick

Member Number: 496

You will want more duty cycle, amperage, and weld penetration. It is inevitable.

Metal comes in all sizes and shapes.. Not all of it is thin gauge. If your going to spend money on a tool why buy a crippled tool? the thicker the metal the more it starts to feel like your painting a house with a paint brush made for model toys, or running an air grinder on a 2 gal pancake compressor, that is when your using 110v mig.

The only reason I could fathom buying a baby mig is that a 240 v drop might not be feasible in the shop it will be used in. As for my garage I have a sub panel and was easily able to put in a 240v drop via surface conduit that was up to code. Or you were a knowledgeable and experienced welder who wanted it for a specific set of circumstances (like the shop already has other welders, this is just needed for the the small jobs in the corner)
1962 Scout 80
1972 D1210 4X4 Truck
Brewmaster
drewmerrick.org
callsign: K0IHC
Drew Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #24
int77345

Member Number: 624

Any one have any experience using a ready welder II.
I donít know much about welding, and I have been practicing in the back yard on scap metal and such. My goal is get good enough to get my self off a trail when the Scoutís spring hangers break off the frame. For welding the Scout frame is .30 flux core wire good? Is the ready welder capable of welding sheet metal? With .30 wire if blows holes in anything thin. Common sense tells me I need to use a smaller wire for thinner metal am I on the right track ?
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #25
reuben

Member Number: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by int77345 View Post
any one have any experience using a ready welder II.
I donít know much about welding, and I have been practicing in the back yard on scap metal and such. My goal is get good enough to get my self off a trail when the Scoutís spring hangers break off the frame. For welding the Scout frame is .30 flux core wire good? Is the ready welder capable of welding sheet metal? With .30 wire if blows holes in anything thin. Common sense tells me I need to use a smaller wire for thinner metal am I on the right track ?
.030 wire will be fine for welding on the frame, but if you know the spring hangers are a weak link, why not beef them up before they break off? Welding sheet metal with any flux core wire is tough, as flux core welds hotter then solid wire. It can be done but if I was going to be welding on sheet metal I would use .024 solid wire.

http://www.thisdysfunctional.org

http://www.norcalscouts.com

reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
int77345

Member Number: 624

Thank you for the recommendation on wire size.

A few years back I had the spring hangers all braced and re welded at a 4x4 shop here in town. They had held fine, but I want to be prepared. Last time thy broke it was very difficult to tie the axel down enough to pull steep hills, it was really moving around a lot.
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #27
Chris Pucci

Member Number: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by int77345 View Post
any one have any experience using a ready welder II.
I have a ready welder and it works great. I have it setup with 0.030 wire and it will stick almost anything together that I May need to work on. At max output it lays down more power than my millermatic 175...

But rueben is spot on about the flux core, you are really limited in how thin of material you can weld. But in the backwoods - will you ever need to weld sheetmetal?

My Dana 44 Tech Pages
My Dana 44 Cut and Turn Page
Chris Pucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
Air_Brian

Member Number: 3869

Noobie welding:
I am getting ready to install patch panels in the floor and inner fenders of my 79 traveler, and am using an 220 ac stick welder.
I don't know what gauge the metal is, and am curious if there is a specific rod and amperage that would be best suited for this.
Thanks in advance. Brian.
Air_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by air_brian View Post
noobie welding:
I am getting ready to install patch panels in the floor and inner fenders of my 79 traveler, and am using an 220 ac stick welder.
I don't know what gauge the metal is, and am curious if there is a specific rod and amperage that would be best suited for this.
Thanks in advance. Brian.
Use 6010 or 6011 in 1/16 and turn the voltage down.

Dysfunctional RockCrawlers
NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #30
Air_Brian

Member Number: 3869

Thank you very much. I tried finding someone to weld them for me, but I can't afford shop rates at $78 an hour.
Air_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote