IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Fabrication
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
scouttoo

Member Number: 342
Default Scout frame or Dodge frame?

The ultimate plan for the 77 traveler I just got is to stuff my 93 dodge ctd into it. The stock Scout frame won't be strong enough for the build and the dodge frame will require a lot of modification to work with the body. With the dodge frame I won't have to deal with engine and trans mounts or front suspension mounts. There probably would be rear suspension to deal with because of all the frame mods, but I would be able to use the rear kelderman set-up that's been in the back corner of the garage for years. The Scout frame will require everything except mounting the body. The dodge frame looks like it's too long in the front with the steering box projecting thru the front valance and using the dodge frame is like having a 3" body lift because it is taller. All input is appreciated.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 46
Default Re: Scout frame or Dodge frame?

Mod/beef up your Scout frame.

Dysfunctional RockCrawlers
NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
scouttoo

That would involve reinforcement "fish" plates? I've seen the blak falken build on pirate where much of the frame is plated on all sides. I won't be building a crawler just something that can hold up to occasional light wheeling, towing a 24' travel trailer and of course the cummins running gear. No 2 1/2 ton rockwells here! How much plating do you think is enough?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904

For light wheelin' I would just strengthen the known weak areas. Steering box section of the frame and the spring and shackle hangers. I'd also add steel 12" or so on each side of the motor mounts. And strengthen the motor mounts if you're not building new ones.

1979 Scout II, 304, 3.73, 31" tires, Spartan locker in the rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Sammy

Member Number: 5249

I have a 6.9 sitting in my Scout and made my own motor mounts but plated the steering mount and gusseted the spring mounts.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
scouttoo

So far, it looks like Scout frame. I really want to run the kelderman air ride in back so I'll have to look into what it will take to use it. There's quite a bit of difference in frame widths and the air ride is also the receiver hitch so it needs to be a strong connection.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

No doubt!

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote