IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Okie4x4

Member Number: 1730
Default Scout Terra Build up

Hello, I'm new here to the forum and am seeking some advice. This is my secound Scout and I'm just getting started in my build up. I have a 76 Scout II with a 345, wide 4 speed, new 35" BFG km2s to put on with aluminum wheels. I will be using as a hunting, fishing, toy hauling, rock crawling rig. 80% of the time driving 10-15 miles to go hunting or to the farm. I do have a group I go rock crawling and trail riding with and would like to be able to keep up with the jeeps with their 37-39" tires. I have a kawasaki teryx that is extremely capable but I wanted something with some wheel base for those big bolders and hill climbs. I want to keep it streetable, but here in ok they don't get to excited about full width axles.
So I have replaced the floors and I'm going to replace the bed next. I have a matching set of dodge axles from a 89 3/4 ton diesel with a 4 speed. The front is a Dana 60 and the rear is a Dana 80. I have the springs and drive shafts to both as well as the steering box.
I had a set of gears and rebuild kit for the stock Dana 44s from Jeff at ihon before I got the big axles and the tires and wheels as well. I am having trouble deciding if I want to put the bigger axles on or stay with the Dana 44s and the 35's. The extra cost for more gears and so on for the big axles are my concern. But I believe I could use the dodge d60 springs and do a spring over fairly easily. I could sell the tires and wheels since they are new and never used and trade for some 37" pro comp extremes that are slightly used.
I also have a set of links that are new that I bought of a friend cheap. They are 40" long 1.5" dom .250 wall with bushing and johnny joint ends. So I was thinking of linking the back with coil overs since I have not put the bed back in yet and could make room for the coil overs. But I have also seen the guys using 63" Chevy springs and get some serious flex as well.
I am thinking of doing a spring over in front with longer shocks and 4 link in the rear with coilovers. Should I go with the big axles or stick with the d44s and tires I already have?
I will include some pics I have taking so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera pics 026.jpg (100.0 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg camera pics 082.jpg (49.3 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg camera pics 088.jpg (43.1 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg camera pics 117.jpg (50.8 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg camera pics 119.jpg (46.0 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg camera pics 123.jpg (57.8 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg camera pics 132.jpg (74.1 KB, 762 views)
File Type: jpg Coppermines 1.jpg (21.8 KB, 553 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Member Number: 3
Default Re: Scout Terra Build up

I moved this thread to a more appropriate section. I know you're asking some questions but we try to keep the tech section for very specific tech questions not those of opinion.

The terra looks good. I think your build with the dodge axles sounds pretty awesome, however quite extreme. You would for sure have no problems keeping up with the jeeps in your group, but linking a suspension is no small task. Of course doing to rear is much easier than linking all 4 corners. I for one am a keep it simple stupid kind of guy. I love leaf springs for that reason. They do everything I want them to do and are easy to work with/configure.
ihpartschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Okie4x4

Member Number: 1730
Default Re: Scout Terra Build up

Well here it is a year later and I have sold the dodge axles and 35" BFG mud terrains in favor of going with some pitbull 37" radial rockers. I have the floors replaced and was planning on linking the front and back. I still have the links. I sold the dodge axles because I already had 4.88 gears for the Dana 44s to be put in. If I don't get to crazy with the right foot, will the 37" rockers tear up my 44 axles? Also if I was going to put the fuel injection kit on from ihon would it be better to swap out to the aluminum intake with 2 barrel or 4 barrel set up? Square bore? Right now I have a 2 barrel carb that gives me a hard time regularly. Thanks for any input.