IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transmission Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
JohnnyC

Member Number: 1085
Default Re: Transmission does not engage in any position!!!

Mr. Mayben, I see light at the end of the tunnel because of your advice about the drive tang's. Both of them sheared right off. My question is the new torque converter has wider tang slots then the older, will this give me problems in the future? Also if the transmission was working great for 400 to 500 miles why would it fail then? I don't want to have the same problem in the future.

Thanks for your help.

Also since I have it all apart what do I need for gaskets and seals and does IHOnly sell gasket and seal kits?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Remember this thread??:

http://www.forums.IHPartsAmerica.com...rant-727s.html

I have no idea "why" the pump inner rotor tangs originally failed on your tranny. It May have actually been partially done when it was previously rebuilt before you actually got the rig and then suddenly the other tang broke off.

Don't worry at all about the tangs and the slot in the torque converter not being very close in size, this is a very normal situation and allows quite a bit of room for alignment of the converter when it's installed into the front pump.

Once the converter is actually properly installed over both the splined shaft and the inner rotor of the pump), the face of the converter will be at least 1/2" behind the bellhousing mounting flange/surface. Then the tranny is bolted in place and the converter pulled forward until it contacts the flex plate in it's proper position. In other words, plenty of room for all kinds of alignment!

The oil pump gears are super-strong and made in cast iron. But they must be properly aligned/installed or the material can shear (in the wrong direction) very easily.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
JohnnyC

I have a spare pump should I replace inner rotor or do both the innee and the outee get replaced at the same time. Can I just swap them or are there fitment issues?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
JohnnyC

When I measured my inside tip to outer tip it measured at .011", should I replace the gerotor because it's not within the .05 - .010 specs?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Michael Mayben

If you have a "matched" set of pump gear parts, then I'd use both of 'em. But that is not really important. When I have to do this same thing a few times a year, I normally replace only the inner gear (the damaged part). As for your measurement, I'd go with what you have, the 0.001" difference is not going to be an issue.

When you assemble the pump, use plenty of atf on both sides of both gears and atf poured into the "mesh" also.

There is no "top" or "bottom" to either gear, they can be installed from either direction.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
JohnnyC

Sweet, it's like music to my ears. Thanks for the help. Oh yeah, quick question when I pulled the valve body off the tranny a little bearing popped out. I have know clue where it goes and the monroe book doesn't show me where it goes.

I should have read the directions thoroughly.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #22
Michael Mayben

The small ball bearing is most likely the "detent" ball mounted with it's positioning spring on top of the valve body. The ball itself bears directly against the notches in the lever assembly.

The ball can be installed using a thin driver, I use a small tool made for the installation that is supplied in the transgo tf-2 shift kit.

In the monroe book, look at page 170, the top picture on the right. You will see the ball and spring installation.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
JohnnyC

Question Re: Transmission does not engage in any position!!!

Ok, so here's another question. I'm not sure if I'm following the monroe book correctly to get end-play. Everything is placed in the tranny the way it should be, the output shaft is pushed toward the front of the tranny till it bottoms out, the input shaft is pushed toward the rear of the tranny till it bottoms out, but when I pull the input shaft forward it either gives me no reading (that's when I hold the output shaft forward) or gives me .090" end-play ( that's when I allow the input shaft to push the output shaft when setting the input to the rear before I place the dial indicator on the tip of the input shaft and then pull forward to get my reading).

Sorry if this is confusing, but whoever can decipher what I wrote and give me the correct answer First will get a gold star.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #24
JohnnyC

Wink Re: Transmission does not engage in any position!!!

Well since no one wanted a gold star I figured it out myself. Hopefully when I install the tranny tomorrow everything will work and I'll have no leaks, wish me luck and thanks for your help mr. Mayben and for your encouragement scoutboy74.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
Michael Mayben

I'm down much more than I'm "up" john! Sorry for the late response. My back is giving out now and I can't get the "fix started for at least two more weeks when all the testing is done and the fix is developed.

The transmission freeplay you described will be just fine. The slight difference is nothing, but if you had a complete set of internal shims in all the thicknesses, you could get the end play a bit more towards the center of the range.

Let us know how this repair works out.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #26
JohnnyC

I re measured it the right way and found it to be about .045". Which is within spec.

Hope you start feeling better. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #27
JohnnyC

It's alive and shifting great. What is the chance that a torque converter can cause drive-line vibrations?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #28
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Well how about that? That's very good. I don't know about your converter balance question. Lots of things can cause driveline vibration including the shaft itself, plus worn u-joints, too much play in the t-case output shaft, loose or failed t-case/x-mission mounts, loose axle u-bolts, a broken shackle...the list goes on from there.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #29
JohnnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
well how about that? That's very good. I don't know about your converter balance question. Lots of things can cause driveline vibration including the shaft itself, plus worn u-joints, too much play in the t-case output shaft, loose or failed t-case/x-mission mounts, loose axle u-bolts, a broken shackle...the list goes on from there.
Thanks scoutboy. The u-joints barely have any miles them; tranny mount is brand new from ihon; u-bolts are good and tight; shackles are brand new from ihon; tires balanced.

Still need to check balance of drive shaft; and do I have to drop the t-case to check the output shaft end-play?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #30
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

You can get a good enough idea just by grabbing the shaft at the t-case end and wiggling up/down and side to side. It shouldn't be sloppy in any direction. Too much movement will be obvious. Also, a propeller shaft with u-joints out of phase will create significant vibration. What I mean by that is, on either end of the shaft, there are two joints retained by springs leaving two open that rest in the yoke cradles on either end. If you take the prop shaft out an lay it on the ground, both spring-retained ends should be parallel. This is the same way it needs to be installed. I'm assuming you have it this way already, but something to check.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote