IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #31
punjig

Member Number: 1112
Default Re: Project Double D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdchappie View Post
that blue color is great too. Are you going to do some black stripes???
Well chappie, the over all paint scheme is the blue with the silver top (the silver was actually pulled out of the blue). Silver bumpers, rock sliders, roll bar, and a silver stripe towards the top of the doors to pull it all together! The stripe will look like and be in the same place as the old stripe. We did about 4 different photoshops of it and almost everyone picked the paint scheme I just describe, I just hope it turns out as nice!

The World Is Full Of Kings And Queens, Who'll Blind Your Eyes And Steal Your Dreams!!! Heaven And Hell R.I.P. RJD
punjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #32
Tahoedonner

Member Number: 2382

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjig View Post
thanks for the kind words! it means alot to get support from the IH community. Btw donner, I hope you don't mind, but I did steal a few of your ideas from you build. I liked you steering wheel so much that I purchased it from jegs. I hope you don't mind!:d

Don't sweat it. I pretty much started out with an idea then read a thousand builds and molded it from there. Looking forward to seeing the finished paint job.

'79 Scout II, 345, Work in progress

Build Thread: http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums...ect-karma.html

'72 Scout II, no engine/trans, new from Scooter
Tahoedonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #33
punjig

O.k. It has been awhile since my last post but have been able to get a few things done in the past month or so.
So far I have been busy with work, but I have managed to get a few things done.

I did not like the front brake line with the couple of dings it had in it.
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  28.1 KB

So I used the old one as a template
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  29.3 KB

And I took my time and I bent a new one
Name:  15.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  62.9 KB

I also cut a access hole onto the gas tank
Name:  17.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  48.7 KB

I will be installing a internal fuel pump and will be using walbro pick ups.
One will go in each corner. They close themselves off when they are not in the fuel so they will not suck air. No need for an internal pickup baffle with these things!
Name:  20.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  35.0 KB

When I get it all back together I will be welding some diamond plate on the bottom to reinforce the bottom of the tank.
Name:  22.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  70.2 KB

The World Is Full Of Kings And Queens, Who'll Blind Your Eyes And Steal Your Dreams!!! Heaven And Hell R.I.P. RJD

Last edited by punjig; 04-05-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #34
punjig

In the meantime I got notice from the painter and the body was sprayed.
Name:  01.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  38.2 KB

I went down to give him a hand to put the front clip on. Hes a one man show and it gives me a reason for getting out of the house! we needed the body put back together so that we could mask out the stripe that was getting painted on.
Name:  02.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  72.7 KB

The painter was not to sure about masking a stripe to paint it. It looks simple but it actually is a complicated stripe to mask for paint. So I called in my good buddy who has done this kind of thing. He came down and took measurements. He cut the masking out on a vinyl cutter and him and I laid the stripe out.

These are pictures of the stripe taken in the paint boot. So the blue changes look in the different lights. This is the hood.
Name:  ResizedImage_1426722189576.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  ResizedImage_1426722223332.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  21.4 KB

These are the doors.
Name:  ResizedImage_1426700392449.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  ResizedImage_1426700392941.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  18.3 KB

Another pic of the doors when I got them home.
Name:  06.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  52.2 KB

The fenders.
Name:  07.jpg
Size:  88.7 KB

And now the cab with the top.
Name:  08.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  09.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  68.1 KB

As you can see, the stripe goes all the way around the whole Scout. It also jogs up in the rear and on the front fender, then goes over the hood. It was those jogs plus the compound curve around the back above the tail lights that made this simple stripe so complicated.
And I thought these next two pics were just cool pictures.
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  84.9 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Size:  60.8 KB

That's it for now. Just need to finish up the gas tank, put the tranny lines on then I can place the tub back onto its home.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #35
punjig

It has been awhile since my last update. Work, family, etc. Have kept me busy. Anyways, I have been busy trying to remake my transmission lines. Nothing was wrong with the original set except they where going to be to short with the body lift. So, I made another set but kink them on the last bend. 3rd time was a charm.

Below are some pics:

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  77.4 KB

I needed to mock up the radiator to sit 2in higher for the body lift. So, after I did my goseintas I figured out how high to stack the blocks. Oh and yes, there was some element of redneck engineering!!!

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  07.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  08.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  54.4 KB

There was a lot involved! I had to miss the tranny pad, exhaust and o2 sensor bung area, and still miss the oil dipstick. There were a lot of exact bends that needed to be made. I know I could have bought new flexible s.s. Lines, but the idea of this build is to maintain just enough of the old style stock feel. Old school cooollll!!!!!

Last edited by punjig; 06-15-2015 at 05:21 PM..
Old 06-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #36
Tahoedonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjig View Post
it has been awhile since my last update. Work, family, etc. Have kept me busy. Anyways, I have been busy trying to remake my transmission lines. Nothing was wrong with the original set except they where going to be to short with the body lift. So, I made another set but kink them on the last bend. 3rd time was a charm.

Below are some pics:

Attachment 27325

I needed to mock up the radiator to sit 2in higher for the body lift. So, after I did my goseintas I figured out how high to stack the blocks. Oh and yes, there was some element of redneck engineering!!!

Attachment 27326

Attachment 27327

Attachment 27328

Attachment 27329

Attachment 27330

There was a lot involved! I had to miss the tranny pad, exhaust and o2 sensor bung area, and still miss the oil dipstick. There were a lot of exact bends that needed to be made. I know I could have bought new flexible s.s. Lines, but the idea of this build is to maintain just enough of the old style stock feel. Old school cooollll!!!!!
That rear line on the trans seems to be almost touching the exhaust. I'm no expert but that seems like it will heat up massively. Might need to wrap the exhaust.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #37
punjig

Ya, I here ya. From the pic it looks like its touching, but it actually has about a 1-1/2 of clearance. Either way you are correct, and mirror my thoughts exactly. heat wrap will be getting applied to the tranny and gas lines before the body goes on!

please keep the replies coming, I love to here all the different ideas!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #38
punjig

So I was digging around all of my old bolts that came off the Scout to try and find 4 matching bolts for the water pump.

Name:  P1010242.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  40.5 KB

When I found this gem! I have seen these online but never thought I would find on in my pile! Just thought it was cool!

Name:  P1010244.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  22.6 KB

Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #39
punjig

Ok, so I wanted a nice deep aluminum transmission pan to keep things cool. I looked and looked and finally found one made by tpi that did not have a manufactures name scribed all over it (it is a tci transmission pan pn=128015, in case anyone was interested). The problem with the pan is the fact that it has a notch that sticks out and hits the front drive shaft. Here is a manufacturer pic of the pan.

Name:  TCI Pan.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  25.2 KB

I went ahead and cut a section out of the pan and moved the notched part in about a half of an inch and welded. This worked but the tolerances on the drive-shaft was still a little tight at full suspension flex. So I had to hand rasp some more of the notch. I didn't want to take the chance going all the way though the wall with a air grinder.

Name:  P1010264.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  P1010269.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  75.4 KB

A leak test with water was preformed overnight and it all held good.

Name:  P1010285.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  42.7 KB

Next a skim coat needed to be applied. This was the first step into restoring the pan to look as though it had been cut on. Regular bondo would not work for the skim coat simply for the properties to aluminum expanding and contracting when hot and cold. An epoxy made for aluminum was used as a skim coat.

Name:  P1010293.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  51.2 KB

Then, the textured needed to be matched. I used a spray in bed liner touch up can at the local auto parts store, then a hint of glossy black. Then I sanded the fins and polished them back to like new. If you look close two fins became one. It took some work to make them look that way.

Name:  P1010309.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  P1010312.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  48.8 KB

Now there is plenty of clearance for the drive shaft and a good looking/funtional pan to boot!

Name:  P1010322a.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  43.2 KB

Last edited by punjig; 07-15-2015 at 10:13 AM..
Old 07-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #40
punjig

I caught a little bug that knocked me on my a$$ for about 10days. That made what slow progress I make from day to day come to a halt!

So, after feeling better I got busy on the fuel tank. As previously mentioned, I installed an walbro internal fuel pump (packaged by f.a.s.t.) and walbro pick ups.
I got the 3/8 diamond plate welded to it. This will serve as a rock guard and it cover the warped under panels from the manufacturer. And I also think it looks cool!

here are a few pics of it on the chassis.

Name:  P1010330.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  P1010333.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  P1010337.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  70.1 KB

Here are some pics of the tank and the final plumbing!

Name:  P1010341.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  P1010343.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  69.4 KB

Next move is to figure out all of the custome wiring so that I can pull new wire within the chassis from front to rear. It's a good thing I know something about killyvolts!!! :d:d

Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #41
punjig

I got some things done on the Scout over my long weekend.

I decided to pull the valve covers to give them a once over as far as the paint goes. They had a few dings in them from just mocking things up. They never were intended to stay on. I just threw them on temp like.

Anyways, I decided to prime the oil pump at this time to verify that oils had no problem getting to the top end. I do alot of reading and have found post in the past about engine builders leaving the front oil plugs out, causing no oil up top. This had been worrying me for awhile, since the builder put the timing cover on. I could verify the passenger's side oil plug with a mirror at the dizzy hole, but could never verify the other on the driver's side. So I wanted to test with the valve covers off.

So I went to a cheap tool store and bought a long screw driver.
$4, can't beat it! Cut off the handle, grinded the tip even, and grinded the shaft to be excepted into a drill chuck.

This is about the only thing I would recommend a "made in china" screw driver for!!!

Name:  P1010421.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  P1010424.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  P1010422.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  18.9 KB

Oil priming went good, oil to the top!!!

Once I finished the oil priming and the painting of the valve covers I put everything back together and I wired the ignition.

The wire looms were for a Chevy small block. I had to preform some slight modifications with a drill.

I also made some brackets for the front of the motor so the wires look nice turning on the radius of the valve cover.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  83.4 KB

Last edited by punjig; 08-26-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #42
Tahoedonner

Damn those wires came out looking perfect. Wish you would've done those before I did mine. Makes me want to redo them.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #43
punjig

Thanks 'donner, that compliment means a lot coming from a person with what I believe is one of the coolest scouts on here. I love your build!

I also took your advice about the heat of the exhaust pipes, and they are off getting ceramic coating applied. I hope to update soon.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #44
Scooter

Member Number: 917

I'm liking the custom look of the plug wires too. I did something very similar to my 73 beast. I also love the exterior paint scheme. Also, you have done something that I have been slowly working too, which is the walboro fuel tank pick up in the larger tank. One at each corner. How are you securing them to the the inside of the tank so they aren't flopping around? When I get a chance, I'll post up a photo of my option using all hard line tubing inside the tank tying in the 4 walboro.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #45
punjig

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I'm liking the custom look of the plug wires too. I did something very similar to my 73 beast. I also love the exterior paint scheme. Also, you have done something that I have been slowly working too, which is the walboro fuel tank pick up in the larger tank. One at each corner. How are you securing them to the the inside of the tank so they aren't flopping around? When I get a chance, I'll post up a photo of my option using all hard line tubing inside the tank tying in the 4 walboro.
Thanks for the compliment on the plug wire. I took the idea a few years back from the "ld's" build of IH parts. I thought it was slick and wanted to do something of the same effect. I just made and added the front clips to give them the ending touch.

As far as the walboro pickups, I thought about tacking welding a hose clamp in each corner of the tank. By the time I built them out I realized they never really flopped around at all. It was all by accident. My cheap a$$ bought as little of the fuel submersible hose as I could because it is really expensive. So I supplemented with putting steel line were I could. It turns out the steel line gave me the sturdiness it needed. That plus being hooked to the pump inside, and the pump is mounted vertically to the (was once the pickup) the return line, so not much moves.
I hope I'm making since. I knew I should have taken a pic before I sealed it up!

plus, with the baffle in the tank it would have been a chore to weld clamps internal.