IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
87king

Member Number: 5993
Default My 1959 B-132

Soo I decided to make a little thread on my rig, unfortunately iv missed allot of pictures along the way but here is a little about here. Sence I live in az my truck was bought originally for little americas hotel up in flagstaff az. It was there wood truck cuz they new they needed IH power. It came as the flatbed that's on it with wood stack sides that I have, same original wood "sorry no pics". It came with the v8 266 which was ahead off its time by a year really. It came with the dually rear end and overload springs and my door plate says its rated at a ton and a half. They sold it to some cowboy fella who owned for a bit and he sold it to the guy I bought it from in August 2012. I saw the add on craigslist told my Dad I wanted to go see it and he grinned going well lets go.

I fell in love but it needed work from being neglected. It has 83 thousand original miles, with the t98 4speed tranny. Brought it home and this is what l looked like! Not to bad for the year the worst is the floor because the po had carpet in it this is my first IH by the way lol soo I was a newbie at 16 years old. I needed a truck to be a strong dully so I could haul my sammi on the bed or other toys and still pull my boat to the lake or the camp trailer out camping soo the goal here is to multi task haul plus I liked old trucks all ways been around them my whole life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck1.jpg (6.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg truck2.jpg (6.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg truck3.jpg (6.1 KB, 164 views)
87king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
87king

Default Re: My 1959 B-132

Next I got it home and realized it was just filthy soo after a quick run down on what was what I stripped it, inside and out, the carpet,seats,bed and everything was off in 2 hours it was home lol from there I decided to do some research to see what I was really working with. After fighting so much grease I said I had enough and whipped out the tranny jack and engine stand to really clean her up and repaint the engine compartment while everything was out.

I got the engine bay sanded cleaned and painted with good restolum black auto grade paint, fenders, frame and firewall were looking good! As I stared to power wash the engine and tranny I realized from sitting so much the seals were shot and I prolly should take a look inside the motor to make sure everything is squared away mechanically.

Soo after buying a full gasket kit I tore into it, boy what a caked on oilly mess. I pulled the heads to find the pistons and walls like brand new not a scratch ridge nothing just clean honing marks the heads, rocker arms, all the tins for the motor and oil pan were caked from old oil soo off they came disassembled cleaned and sand blasted.

This took some time because when it comes to clean I like to eat off it soo sandblasted, scrubbed, 4 coats off primer baked in oven, 3 coats off red baked and they turned out good and clean for me.

I decided the valves weren't worn after gauging them soo I got every spec off carbon off them after 3 days behind the wire wheel they came out as brand new! Then I went old school and gave them each couple rounds off fine grit valve lapping by hand each valve to its port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mattorengineout.jpg (74.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg valverepaint.jpg (45.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg moreprogress.jpg (166.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg workingonengine.jpg (69.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg valvecover.jpg (39.3 KB, 153 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
87king

The valves were lapped perfect but I caught the smell off some needed performance from IH parts and before you could say isky, I had the isky towing cam, comp cams valve springs and locks and new lifters arriving at my door

I took out the old cam checked the dreaded cam bearings to be all in check!! perfect good to go, installed the cam the day it arrived. Sense I went this far I whipped out my dremel grabbed the old gaskets and decided some port matching was in need soo 2 weeks later "slow process" I had intake and exhaust paths ground, matched and followed up by buffing compound to polish! It was long but worth it. Now with heads done I reassembled and worked the rocker arms cleaning cleaning and cleaning. Once done all back together I bolted them up to the engine with the fell pro permtec head gaskets. I made sure everything was right up top and in spec to torque.

For the bottom end I went ahead and rebuilt the oil pump weather it needed it or not might as well and got the bottom half buttoned up after that and a new rear main the pan went back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0025.jpg (78.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg update2.jpg (155.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg update3.jpg (179.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg recentmotorupdate.jpg (163.8 KB, 170 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
87king

Now with the engine almost done, it was time to pain the rest off the block, which meant new freeze plugs all the way around, by the way were filled with crap in the block so a vacuum,wire and compressed air had her cleaned up in 4hours next sanding,wire wheel, 4 coats off primer 3 coats off red

the rest off the parts where all hand cleaned up and painted, I mean every part got a new shine to it. I like the look off clean paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0023.jpg (42.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0026.jpg (77.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
87king

I got my clutch rebuilt here locally here in phoenix brake and clutch for $100 dollars flat, new disks, they even put ass many springs in as they could to beef it up more no extra charge soo if any guys need a clutch let me know these guys did great work! 4 day turn around! My flywheel went with my rear emergency band style brake on the tranny right next door to a truck shop. They machined the flywheel, new pilot bearing, flipped the starter ring, and relined the emergency brake with a new pad for $60 gosh I couldn't thank them enough they were excellent.

Note: they said for the brake issues on these old trucks they reline any shoe or pad any year make or model no problem, and and and that they resteel liner drums for the old trucks, which means us big 6 guys have a saving prayer. They heat it up drop in a new steel ban let it cool and machine that down to spec. Prices vary but mine would be like 200 to do so in the future I will when the time comes!!

I also while the bed was off got going on wire wheeling the whole rear end axle and all, for a nice coating off por15 and the axle red off coarse! I had a couple of broken rivets soo I drilled them out and replaced with grade 8, made a frame reinforced/goosenck mount out off some 3/8 channel and replaced every body bolt to be found with grade 8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0027.jpg (72.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg revampingthebed.jpg (243.4 KB, 164 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
87king

I got the gas tank out and cleaned up, painted and reinstaled, got the new wood cut out for the bed to sit on with stickers to help keep them from warping off the frame rails. I also got the tranny cleaned up inside and out, fresh gaskets, new emergency brake, installed and drive line with carrier bearing cleaned up and greased. My plans to get the engine installed in a couple days, put everything back on, delco dist with petronix 2, new coil,wires, new carb, new water pump etc just ordered the thermostat from IH parts electric fuel pump all that good stuff. Then work on the inside a little re upholstery the seat new glove box and floor mates and hopefully take it to the rodeo coming up soon down here. Going to order my kwikwire from IH parts 22 circuit 2mrow and get fresh wires and switches in her. Hopefully be ready to roll up the hill lol il post pics for now on as I go guys hopefully not to boring for yall yet haha its a work in progress for me bare with me lol that's how she sits as off now, tires are decent just weather checked but I like the split rims because there easier to change if you know what your doing with them off coarse they are 235/85/r16s
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
IHRunner

Member Number: 4157

Thats a damn fine job you're doing with that wee beastie there.

1976 terra-304-The Duke. 420k miles
1977 traveler-304-furst fake hurst-unknown miles
1978 scout II-The Pumpkin-196-4spd-no power steering-67k original miles
1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
1985 irocz camaro(sold thank god)
2 farmall m's
IHRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

Very nice job! I've never seen cast rockers in an IH before. I used to have a b160 dump truck with a 264 i6 engine. I wonder how the 266 v8 compares? Does it have a 2 speed rear axle?
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
87king

Its funny you mention the cast rocker arms neither had I! But I call my truck being a 59 a prototype v8 for the reasons off the uncommon cast rockers,one piece thermostat housing and intake manifold thats more higher rise with no welch plugs in it! The heads are also different being no restriction or hump in exhaust port and here comes the major part! Now we all know IH top end oiling problems but the way mine is set up seems about the best design iv seen. I was scared after I read the lack of oil people get to the arms and flow and cam bearings. My truck wasn't ran on the right oil for the last soo odd years because the pos had no idea about phosphates and flat tappet cams or what they needed was dino oil for it. But when I pulled it apart there wasn't even any signs off wear and tear on the rocker arms,shafts, valves, cam bearings I mean seriously not a Mark or scratch of pain! I just cant believe it for not running proper oil in, I know I got lucky maybe cuz the low miles?? Now my rocker arms don't just have one oil hole per shaft, each stand besides the outsides have oil holes from the heads up through the stands to the shaft soo all of them get oilled through numerous holes instead of the single one. I have yet to see another like this?? The head holds oil in a galley and shoots up through each hole to the rocker arm shafts go figure. I like this more because in terms it just means easier oil flow and more oil flowing through the top end on down and boy does it oil good. So my guess is I have a really early style motor, but the extra oil capacity I bet saved my motor. The only reason I can come up with why IH stopped this design is the rocker arms being so darn heavy to push up and down?? It sure oils better then most I see. Maybe someone else has one out there?? I like the idea and besides cast just means more heavy duty in truck terms
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
87king

You can kinda see in the rocker arm pic how the oil from the shafts run into the rocker arms down to the tips off the push rods and also squirt out onto the tips off the rocker shafts also, the oil shoots out at a angle right on to them and runs down to the pad and valve pretty well.

I tossed around the idea off the straight 6 vs the v8 and for my heavy highway hauling plans I thought the v8 was a bit better for the higher longer term rpms in the end soo when I got this truck it was perfect
some specs 129 inch wheelbase, door tags says certified net horsepower 162.25 at 4400, certified gross horsepower 174.8 at 4400, max g.v.w 8.900.

So I am hopping with the cam,porting, a bit bigger new carb,better ignition and my own pair off headers to bump it up to 200-220 range. I have no idea on torque? 260? Give or take?

The rear axle is a ra-15 7500 rated with 4:88 ring and pinon single speed unfortunately and factory limited slip soo happy to get that just in case it gets muddy out camping thank god!!
If and when towing I seem to run out of gears I might think about a two speed rear end swap though in the future.
My tow average weight sammi=2500 pounds on the bed, boat weighs 4800, trailer weighs 7000 soo tow will be around 10000 pound at the highest with extra crap a drag along with all the trips. I hope the 4:88 gears will do just the trick for the highway connected to the t-98 tranny and the 235/85 tires. Also the occasional horse trailer and goosneck flatbeds lol

trust me I am in no rush and not looking to get anywhere that quick or make the best time in the world I am fine enjoying the drive, and taking my time to where I get soo speed isn't a concern to do 65 the whole time lol

Last edited by 87king; 06-07-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
IHRunner

Member Number: 4157

I think I have a picture of those style rocker arms. Of an old 62 304 from a loadstar. Must be uncommon but at the time I didnt pay attention to them.

Id like to get my grubby hands on a 266 for a sand rail im building. Make sure you make her shine. Them 266's sure do like to scream

1976 terra-304-The Duke. 420k miles
1977 traveler-304-furst fake hurst-unknown miles
1978 scout II-The Pumpkin-196-4spd-no power steering-67k original miles
1969 Loadstar 1700 392

1970 chevy c10/custom
1975 chevy chevelle
1985 irocz camaro(sold thank god)
2 farmall m's
IHRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
MarkO

Member Number: 740

It would appear you have found a real gem of an old 'binder!

Anything that old that isn't molested or rusted is a real find.

I don't think you will find a 2-speed rear end that size. The 2-speeds were found in the next size up. That isn't to say you couldn't put one in. The problem is you would gain on the bottom end and nothing on the top. And considering your total weight the need to split any gear is really not going to be necessary.

With 4.88 gears 55-60 mph is going to be screaming. On the other hand, when you get to the hills you will still be going that speed.

You May find that a gear vendors od or ud would be easier to find and work better for you.

Great work! Keep us posted.
MarkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
87king

Il keep a eye out for a 266 for you, folks down here in the valley don't know nothing about IH so I try and gobble them up before they go to scrap and I go hunting around for parts across az all the time sometimes walking away with free stuff off all sorts the 266 I am hoping will be just be the trick to wind up and go especially with some work on her, they do like to spin faster and higher comp ratio, would make one bad mean sand-rail!
When I test drove the truck and in flagstaff got on the main road and holy cow it pulled pretty darn hard with those 4:88 gears so with my weight I think il come out just right, those od boxes are pricey but il be happy to haul 60 mph all day lol everybody calls my truck mator from movie cars even though its different but it sure is on off a kind in good shape for its time!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
87king

Well some update today, got the motor finish painted, got the intake on and sealed, got the water pump fan and tubes squared away, all freeze plugs in and rocker assembly's finished up!
Soo this past Friday I decided its going in, that's were it kinda went south, I bolted the flywheel up went to install pilot bearing and accidentally nicked the race with the socket soo pulled the flywheel back off drive down to buy another got that one this time and must off been frustrated because I flipped the clutch plate around not paying attention and there was no markings on it but I didn't realize it so I bolted up the pressure plate and away I went. after getting it hooked up to the tranny and bolted down I assemble the clutch linkage to instantly feel my heart sink that something isn't right it was to dang tuff to push in and felt like it was binding a ton. After seeing the pegs on my linkage not laying flat I am thinking the throw-out bearing position needs to be adjusted, soo Saturday night engine comes back out on the hoist to start fiddling with that. After me and my Dad realize wait the throw-out bearing is keyed and not even adjustable so what is happening here, he shines the light because its dark now between the pressure plate and I see light soo I yell whats up with this?? We unbolt the pressure plate see my mistake, take some measurements to realize that was it and we worked to get the engine back in and bolted down once again by 10p.m. After it was bolted we hooked up the linkage and bam it worked flawlessly smooth as butter adjusted it and its working fine now

soo all in all the engines in snug as a bug once again it looks small in the big hood of my truck lol it was a good learning lesson for me also, iv done 50 clutches but it only takes one to rush and mess up backwards lol

p.s the paint is really red the sun makes it look orange in pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0029.jpg (61.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0030.jpg (64.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0031.jpg (63.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0032.jpg (65.6 KB, 145 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

When I was in high school ag shop class, we had a Ford tractor that was "rebuilt" by the top student in class. About 30 sec after starting smoke started pouring out of every orifice on the engine. The next year the teacher put a class mate and I on the problem. We split the case and found the clutch disk installed backwards and the spline on the xmission was pressing on it forcing the crank onto the thrust bearing.

A good and easy to do investment at this point would be to put a thermostatic clutch fan on that water pump. It will save a ton of fuel at the rpm's you'll be running that engine and you'll pick up a bit of hp too.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote