IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Product Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
int77345

Member Number: 624
Default scout II steering leak

1977 scout II 345 sever power steering leak

hey guys i have a sever leak coming out the sector shaft of the power steering box and i saw the seal kit in the store part number CRWN-J8134568

my question is for a guy, with decent hand tools and a in home garage is this re seal job doable ? also are there any special tools required ? or any tools that you know of that can make the job smoother?

thank you for any information !
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: scout II steering leak

Sorry no one got back to you Logan. If the job goes well than yes you can probably do it in your garage. And what I mean by well is that you don't find any other problems with the steering box that might side line the vehicle once you get it apart. There is a special tool you can buy for removal but not sure if the purchase is worth it for just one time. If it's just the seals you are wanting to replace, you could try it "trailside style" so to speak. Remove the snap ring, start the engine and turn the wheel. The pressure will pop the seals right out. It will also make a big mess so have a big drain pan underneath.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
int77345

Member Number: 624

hey guys,
got the parts this week and did the job today.

for any one out there curios replacing the sector shaft seals is not a hard job. is this a better way to go then replacing the whole box??? not really probably better to replace the whole box..... Jeff i did like you said and removed the snap ring and used the pressure to blow the seals out.

to avoid a big mess i went slowly turning the wheel then looking and slowly turning the wheel again and watching. i was able to stop before the seals came flying out. then removed the seals with a screw driver.

hardest part for me was removing and installing the snap ring. laying on my back in a dark garage that thing was hard to see and get hold of.

new seals are in and so far no more leaks, but guys keep an ear out for the phone, i have a feeling ill be calling in a few months for a replacement box when this one starts leaking some where else.

thank you IH PARTS AMERICA !
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Hessmonster

Member Number: 9282

Greetings, I just picked up a 1979 Scout 2 today and this thing is COOL. The power steering box leaks fluid as fast as it goes in. Whats the difference between the less expensive "auto zone" boxes and the expensive ones?
Hessmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

We use a rebuilder a few hours from us in California and have had no problems to date with their rebuilds. We send a few cores down to them at a time and get them back in about a week.

If Autozone has the correct steering box, then you should be good to go. We haven't been able to find any Scout steering boxes in the local auto parts stores for about 5 years as cores are hard to come by. Thanks.

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Hessmonster

Member Number: 9282

Do yours come with any warranty?
Hessmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

They don't have any warranty that comes with them, but if you have a problem during installation we will take care of it. Thanks.

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote