IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Trails, Public Land and Legislation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602
Default New letter in support of Calif SB 1224: Emissions amendment

Now that the hearing in the transportation & housing committee has been postponed to April 10, I gives me another opportunity to send more letters to committee members.

Here's my new letter. Let me know what you think:

senator ____ - member [or chair, vice chair], senate transportation & housing committee

I am writing to the committee in support of sb 1224 (la malfa).

I am an enthusiast of 1970s vintage automobile and trucks. I have read the bill analysis, by eric thronson, dated 2/23/12, and would like to address two of the ‘comments’. Comments: 2. Exempting the highest polluting vehicles, states: this bill exempts from the smog check program many vehicles contributing the highest levels of pollution in the state. In 2004 the California air resources board (ARB) estimated that, by 2010, pre-1982 cars would account for more than one-fifth of the hydrocarbons and one-tenth of the nitrous oxide emissions in the state despite representing only 2.6 percent of the vehicle population and 1.3 percent of the vehicle miles traveled. On average, 1975 model-year vehicles emit 30 times more hydrocarbons per mile than a 2000 model-year vehicle and despite their much smaller share of the vehicle population, continue to emit two to three times the volume of pollutants in aggregate…

I notice that the data attributed to the California air resources board (ARB) is from 2004. In the eight years since that estimate was made, I believe that many pre-1981 vehicles have been removed from service by ‘accelerated’ attrition, mainly due to lower average fuel economy, decreased repair parts availability, and increased repair parts costs. In the area I live in, I see very few vehicles from the pre-1981 model year range on the road. Most of the vehicles from this era that I do see being driven, appear to be well-maintained, restored collectible vehicles that do not appear to be used often.

Analysis comments: 6. Collector motor vehicles provided certain exemptions .
In order to not discourage classic car collectors in California, existing law includes certain exemptions for owners of collector motor vehicles. If a vehicle is more than 35 years old, insured as a collector motor vehicle, and passes the smog check's exhaust and fuel cap tests, it is exempt from the visual and functional test component of the smog inspection.

In the California vehicle code (vc) section 5004: vehicles of historic value, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is: “collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.” a vehicle thus defined, registered, and insured as one, is subjected to extremely limited uses of that vehicle. I believe that most owners of collectible pre-1981 model year vehicles that could be eligible for registration under this section would at least like the freedom of choice to drive their vehicles occasionally for pleasure/recreational activities that are not defined as “primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose…” thus, I believe that the option of historical vehicle registration for collectible pre-1981 vehicles is not one that most owners would seek.

Sb 1224 is a sensible bill that recognizes the limited impact that collectible pre-1981 model year vehicles have on the total air pollution emitted in California from all sources.

Respectfully,

erik vanrenselaar
petaluma

for those interested in sending letters, you May copy/paste my letter and modify it to your liking and style.

And here is the link to some info about the bill from sema and direct e-mail addresses for the committee members:

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...12ca3&g=semaga
Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
scoutdude80

Member Number: 217
Default Re: New letter in support of Calif SB 1224: Emissions amendment

What's the latest on this erik?
scoutdude80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602
Default Re: New letter in support of Calif SB 1224: Emissions amendment

The bill failed in committee, but was granted "reconsideration", whoever knows when that would be...
Here's the sema action network info link to the last action on the bill:

sema action network (san) aa_2012ca4

We'll just have to keep tabs on this until the 'ball rolls again'.