IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Trails, Public Land and Legislation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
JERM

Member Number: 755
Exclamation California Proposes to Enhance Vehicle Scrappage Program

California proposes to enhance vehicle scrappage program
state to target pre-1976 vehicles

sema is opposing a California air resources board (carb) proposal to spend roughly $30 million annually for an enhanced fleet modernization program (efmp) to augment the state's existing vehicle scrappage program. The proposal would provide incentives statewide for vehicles not currently eligible under the consumer assistance program by removing the existing requirements that vehicles be subject to and fail smog check to participate. Carb is specifically targeting for scrappage pre-1976 vehicles that are not currently required to undergo smock check inspections. According to carb, allowing vehicles that are not currently undergoing registration or that have passed their smog check to participate greatly expands the vehicle population that can be retired.

Participants would receive $1,000 per vehicle or $1,500 per vehicle if they meet low-income requirements. The proposal would also establish a pilot voucher program in the south coast and san joaquin valley air basins that targets the highest-emitting vehicles and requires their replacement with newer, cleaner vehicles. The local air districts would work with the bureau of automotive repair (bar) to determine vehicle eligibility and low-income status. Once approved, the districts would provide the applicant a letter of eligibility from bar and a redeemable voucher. Consumers would retire their vehicle at a participating dismantler, receiving an immediate compensation of $1,000 - $1,500 for vehicle retirement. Consumers could then redeem their voucher at participating car dealerships toward the purchase of a replacement vehicle. Carb is proposing that the voucher compensation be $2,000 or $2,500 per vehicle depending on income level.

Carb will conduct a public hearing to consider adoption of the proposed enhanced fleet modernization program regulation (car scrap).

Date: June 25-26, 2009
time: 9:00 a.m.
Place: California environmental protection agency
air resources board, byron sher auditorium
1001 I street
sacramento, California 95814

this item will be considered at a two-day meeting of the board, which will commence at
9:00 a.m., June 25, 2009, and May continue at 8:30 a.m., on June 26, 2009. This item
May not be considered until June 26, 2009.

Comments to the proposal are due June 24. To read the full proposal, go to: bna's environment and safety updates online

Written comments must be received no later than 12:00 noon, pacific standard time, June 24, 2009, and addressed to the following:

clerk of the board, air resources board
1001 I street
sacramento, California 95814

electronic submittal: subject top page: send us your comments
Fax submittal: (916) 322-3928
JERM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581
Default Re: California Proposes to Enhance Vehicle Scrappage Program

Damn! These new laws, which won't affect me, suck! The repercussions are going to be costly for anyone who wants to restore, operate, and maintain older vehicles. Say goodbye to the IH population in California.... I hope this doesn't pass!

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Thanks for bringing this up.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
JERM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihojeff View Post
thanks for bringing this up.
Your welcome! I am trying to get the word out because I havent heard anything about this on the news. Please tell everyone you can.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Silverscout

Member Number: 433

Am I correct in the understanding that this is totally voluntary? Much like the previous letters I recieve in the mail for a measly $500!
Silverscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
JERM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverscout View Post
am I correct in the understanding that this is totally voluntary? Much like the previous letters I recieve in the mail for a measly $500!
From what I understand if this passes turning your vehicle over is totally voluntary in which you will receive a tax credit toward a new car. However if you do not turn over your car you will be unable to drive it on public streets. I wonder if this includes off highway vehicles?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Silverscout

Member Number: 433

I just read it and didn't find any regulations on non-participation. I did find this though:

"the proposed program is voluntary and does not require participation by consumers or businesses. For businesses choosing to participate, the program is expected to provide modest positive impacts. Businesses that will benefit include licensed dismantlers and new or used car dealerships due to the increase in vehicles scrapped and the expected increase in vehicle sales at car dealerships."

they will be spending $30 million annually on this program, which is a brilliant idea considering the state of our state. I don't doubt some day they will come knocking for my Scout. It's just a matter of when.
Silverscout is offline   Reply With Quote