IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Ignition Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #46
towpainter3

Member Number: 549
Default Re: Ignition System Performance Upgrades

Im lovin the word ultimate too!!! We'll know tomorrow how ultimate it is. I'll get her wired up in the afternoon and see what happens. Scored a really cool ol school open air breather set up for 10 bucks and a spacer from a GM TBI that has the pcv breather tube on it , im fuukin stoked. Will let yall know how shes runnin tomorrow. Thanks and have a good nite. I will, im on my 8th shiner bock. Damn they are good. Never tried one til m/m said somethin. Now I know what ive been missin!!! At least they got beer and they death penalty express right in texas!!! Lol
Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #47
scoutpappa

Member Number: 2048

Well? What happened? How's it working?
scoutpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #48
towpainter3

Sorry guys didnt get to work on it today maybe tomorrow, had a cataclismic day. Water heater at my 93 yr old grandma's house shot its wad. Blew out the whole side right on the seam, guess I would too after 32 yrs. That just goes to show how well they used to build shit. Had to go and do the r&r deal on that. Gotta love 60 yr old gavanized pipes.
It shouldnt be too bad everthing is already pre mounted from the racecar and the wiring has already been prepped.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #49
towpainter3

Ok got her runnin!!! Fires right off cold and runs good. Idle quality seems to have greatly improved and it doesnt run as Rich at idle. Will do some more tuning on her this weekend. Will post numbers then.
I do have to say I checked the spark before adding the msd and coil and it was weak and yellow looking at the plugs. After installing the box and coil. Those plugs make a very healthy and might I say painful blue spark! Gonna play with some ngk plugs and different gaps just to see what happens. Im still open to any thoughts or suggestions too !
Next step will be the addition of a Holley projection setup I obtained through some wheelin and dealin maybe! Im still like m/m I love carbs!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #50
scoutpappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpainter3 View Post
ok got her runnin!!! Fires right off cold and runs good. Idle quality seems to have greatly improved and it doesnt run as Rich at idle. Will do some more tuning on her this weekend. Will post numbers then.
I do have to say I checked the spark before adding the msd and coil and it was weak and yellow looking at the plugs. After installing the box and coil. Those plugs make a very healthy and might I say painful blue spark! Gonna play with some ngk plugs and different gaps just to see what happens. Im still open to any thoughts or suggestions too !
Next step will be the addition of a Holley projection setup I obtained through some wheelin and dealin maybe! Im still like m/m I love carbs!!!
Good deal. I'm liking my setup also. Brave man to check that type of voltage even without a load. And if you want to stay with a carb I might know an interested party for the projection
Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #51
towpainter3

Ok heres some numbers after doin alittle tuning and some driving. The addition of the msd and coil was a big improver.
345 727 d20 w/409's and 33's thermoquad
680 rpm idle/n
19.5in vac
10deg initial timing on 87 octane alkeegaz
195 deg thermostat

this freakin ol ass piece of junkiron runs like a raped ape!!!!!
Plus I got the a/c workin and its throwin snowballs out the vents.
Thanks for the great write ups and advice!!!

Time to go wheelin and pull some heeps o junk off the mountain!!! They say its a stoneage piece o shit but I always seem to have some kind of new piece of detroit or nagasaki iron on my ass attached with a damn chain lmao
Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #52
scoutpappa

Congrats man.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #53
rustbeltbinder

Member Number: 4058

Question: I have the Holley distributor with the gold box can I hook up an msd box too it? If not can u recommend what I can do? Its in a 76 Scout II with the 345
rustbeltbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #54
towpainter3

Find yourself a prestolite with the electronic ignition and get the 8207 msd coil. According to mayben this combo is the ultimate IH ignition. If you cant find one the a point type Holley with a pertronix conversion is the way to go,thus eliminating the pesky gold box and simplifying your ignition setup. Thats my opinion,
hooking up the msd to either of these types is easycheeze!!! And trust me, the set up on mine will flat light you up!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #55
scoutpappa

I have a mallory unilite dizzy (only direct replacement dizzy but you have to utilize your existing cam gear) I use that to trigger a mallory "6" box (digital) through a "e" coil (non canister oil filled type 60kv). I find this to be an extremely reliable setup, with multi spark capability and no issues with hot starts. I also live in houston and this summer was one level up from hell considering ambient temperature. To put this in perspective this is installed in a 79 Scout II with working a/c, auto trans, that my wife drives daily. I maintain a steady 19.5" vaccum and no clue as to advance (it's alot but it's mayben optimized, which means I have never put a light on it to verify). Read through the posts and decide what you want. There are many options available and in most cases they are buildable insofar as you can buy one componant, save up and then get another. Just remember with any setup not utilizing a "6" box you will need a ballast resisteor or a resistance wire between your keyed b+ and the positive terminal on the coil.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #56
rustbeltbinder

Member Number: 4058

Thanks guys for the help now I just need to find one of those dist. Got 4 spare motors all with gold box. However I called summit racing and they said the gold box is the same thing as the Ford duraspark I dont know if any of u guys can shed a little light on this subject?
rustbeltbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #57
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Sorry this question has gone unanswered for so long. The Holley electronic ignition with remote amplifier accepts the pertronix ignitor iii module, available here: pertronix replacement ignitor kits - International Scout parts. No need to source and swap distributors in your case as previously suggested.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote