IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #181
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742
Default Re: Need help with vacuum advance with 304 and 2300 Holley

Another possibility is a sticky or breaking throttle cable. Remove the cable from the carb and pedal and see if it moves smoothly in and out. The one on my T'ette is a bit sticky when cold due to my lubing it with spray on lithium grease. Lube cables with silicone spray.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #182
428street

Member Number: 7660

Fair enough, I know I checked that when I did the install because I wanted to make sure I had full range and I've never done it before so I made sure to double check what was happening...I went back and forth between the knob inside the cabin and the carb...

This has been since day one with this new carb...Micheal seems to think it's a manual choke issue but honestly don't know much about it but I'll learn...nice to drive it and she starts right up but now this...
428street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #183
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Should be easy to resolve once identified. Its throttle related somehow. Either by virtue of some piece attached to the throttle linkage anywhere between the carb and the foot pedal or by choke not coming all the way off, or perhaps vibrating back on slightly after you've pulled it off thinking it was going to stay there.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #184
428street

It's not a cable, it's a metal rod on my truck...
Old 08-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #185
428street

I hope so...this is one scenario were it would help to have someone in the cab on the pedal...I'll see who I can find...

On a completely unrelated question...Since I've gone this far and will continue to go farther...I need to replace the valve cover gaskets as they are leaking. While I'm in there is there any maintenance, checking, cleaning of anything I can do while I have these covers off? I started reading some older Mayben posts and then reading the manual as well, some makes sense, some I don't think will make sense until I do it...looks like 3 assembly on each side feeds the oil and I need to check them is they are clogged, tighten bolts to 25 ft. lbs...on information overload right now...
Old 08-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #186
Scoutboy74

Oh geez. I kinda think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it were my engine, I'd want to have more data, low oil pressure readings or something concerning like that. If the cover gaskets are leaking that bad, then I guess it doesn't cost you anything to take a look inside while the covers are off. But really, unless you have some reason to believe that something is messed up, why go looking for trouble? Its time to drive the thing and have some fun with it. Just my opinion. As always, its your truck. You make the call.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 08-17-2017, 02:23 AM   #187
428street

ha ha, I had to ask

Ya, I'm not looking to make more problems then I have but remember this, it's all new to me. You can listen to an engine and say, "ya, that sounds about right" because you have that experience...I don't have that...I was just asking since I would be under the covers so to speak. My biggest issue is I have no reference point to know where this engine is compared to what it should be for the year and mileage. Where I was going was if there were quick adjustments with a feeler gauge, re-torqueing, look at the oil passage and see if it's clogged, etc. all stuff I feel comfortable with I would do it...It's not a quiet engine, it taps for sure but maybe thats normal. I'm not looking to rebuild the engine just yet!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #188
428street

Went out this AM and tackled this beast again.

Took pic of both sides of the carb, choke fully on and fully off, etc.

I did something that made the stick issue better. I randomly took off the return spring on the carb and initially I though that solved the problem almost immediately but now instead of the carb getting stuck at 1500-1800 is goes right back to 900-1000 which is not bad and a good improvement but still not back to 600-700…I throw that out there to see if it makes any sense. I also see there is some kind of adjustment screw on the manual choke side, not 100% sure what that is. There is a spring on the bottom of the carb on the choke side that does seem like it’s not connected to anything, you can see in the first couple of pics right on the bottom plate…

There is also a return spring on the bottom of the gas pedal inside the cab too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5883.jpg (59.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5884.jpg (69.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5886.jpg (76.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5887.jpg (65.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5888.jpg (73.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #189
428street

Just got back from a 15/20 mile drive. Lots of stops and starts and some straight aways. Truck runs pretty good overall. Not sure what to expect from a 47 year old engine and basically a farm truck but its certainly not quick by any means and I know this isn't a race truck.

The high idle is about 95% fixed by taking that return spring off.

I stopped at an exhaust shop to get a quote as I need new pipes from the EM to the front of the muffler. When I got the truck the mufflers and rear pipes were filled with rot so I replaced those myself. There is one main pipe in the front that has a whole in it that needs immediate attention but I'm going to do both and be done with it.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #190
Scoutboy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
ha ha, I had to ask

Ya, I'm not looking to make more problems then I have but remember this, it's all new to me. You can listen to an engine and say, "ya, that sounds about right" because you have that experience...I don't have that...I was just asking since I would be under the covers so to speak. My biggest issue is I have no reference point to know where this engine is compared to what it should be for the year and mileage. Where I was going was if there were quick adjustments with a feeler gauge, re-torqueing, look at the oil passage and see if it's clogged, etc. all stuff I feel comfortable with I would do it...It's not a quiet engine, it taps for sure but maybe thats normal. I'm not looking to rebuild the engine just yet!

I came off a bit harsh last night. I get where you're coming from. I think we could have a conversation in a different thread or perhaps even back channel about lubrication requirements for flat tappet engines, ZDDP, oil selection, oil filter selection, installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge and other similar topics. That's an entirely different and ginormous rabbit hole to plummet down, and we haven't yet exited from this one. There's risk of an overload by not keeping the focus fairly narrow. Small bites. One system at a time.

Quote:
Went out this AM and tackled this beast again.

Took pic of both sides of the carb, choke fully on and fully off, etc.

I did something that made the stick issue better. I randomly took off the return spring on the carb and initially I though that solved the problem almost immediately but now instead of the carb getting stuck at 1500-1800 is goes right back to 900-1000 which is not bad and a good improvement but still not back to 600-700…I throw that out there to see if it makes any sense. I also see there is some kind of adjustment screw on the manual choke side, not 100% sure what that is. There is a spring on the bottom of the carb on the choke side that does seem like it’s not connected to anything, you can see in the first couple of pics right on the bottom plate…

There is also a return spring on the bottom of the gas pedal inside the cab too.
The first thing that struck me in your pics is what seems like some needlessly pronounced bends and whoopdee-doos in your choke cable/wire plumbing right at the bracket and just beyond. I'm used to seeing that portion be much more straight. I don't know if this has any bearing on the sticking issue or not, but it really stands out like a sore thumb, hence my mention of it.

Yes, that is a tension adjustment screw on the choke side for adjusting your applied choke fast idle speed. This time of year, you're probably not applying full choke for your cold start, which is fine. The fast idle should be roughly 1500 when the choke is fully applied and maybe about 1200 at half choke. These are strictly ballpark figures, we're not looking for precision. Have you noticed what speed your engine is running at when you first start it with about half choke? Turning the screw clockwise applies more tension and thus increases fast idle speed.

Very odd that removing the front return spring would seem to partially improve the sticking situation. I'd expect the opposite. Is that spring the least bit relaxed when the linkage is fully closed? It should be just at the beginning stage of tension then. What were your observations when you cycled the linkage at the carb with the throttle rod unhooked? With and without the return spring hooked up? Any hickups? If you haven't done this yet, I'd do it with the engine running to avoid fuel flooding and so you can easily monitor engine speed to verify that it is snapping fully shut every time you let go.

Quote:
Just got back from a 15/20 mile drive. Lots of stops and starts and some straight aways. Truck runs pretty good overall. Not sure what to expect from a 47 year old engine and basically a farm truck but its certainly not quick by any means and I know this isn't a race truck.

The high idle is about 95% fixed by taking that return spring off.

I stopped at an exhaust shop to get a quote as I need new pipes from the EM to the front of the muffler. When I got the truck the mufflers and rear pipes were filled with rot so I replaced those myself. There is one main pipe in the front that has a whole in it that needs immediate attention but I'm going to do both and be done with it.
You've summed up pretty much what you have. A vintage machine that was not designed to set land speed records. Still, there should be some perceived feeling of stump pulling grunt and modest acceleration. It should be fully capable of getting out of its own way and maintaining an honest highway speed.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 AM   #191
428street

No worries SB. Couple things. I have very thick skin. I'm a gemini and I'm not happy unless I'm cooking three meals at a time.

Your comments are synonymous with Micheal and again I go back to the reference point thing - i.e., I don't have any...that bracket for the choke was bent and maybe it's like daaaa but I saw something did not look right but I would never have suspected a brand new out of the box carb would have that bad a bracket bend which concerns me on how is was bent so bad what else happened to it but I'll cross that bridge when I get there...IHPA is sending me a new bracket. I did "fix" the old one by putting it in a vice so for now it will be fine.

Also, I found out that I had the return spring on the wrong mechanism and not on the throttle plate which would also causing/not helping my return to idle issue.

It's raining now so can't do anything more but the bracket is ready to reinstall and I already changed the return spring location. Waiting to test in the next day or so.

I'll report back.

That ride was nice yesterday I have to say...
Old 08-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #192
Scoutboy74

I'm glad IHPA is working to resolve an issue. That's typical of their customer service when something is brought to their attention. I know Michael pretty well. Good guy. Glad you also discovered a problem with the TR spring location. What you were describing just wasn't computing with me. I think you're going to have some different results on your next run. I'm speaking it into existence. I'm heading out on a wildfire later today. I'll be driving a water tender. I don't know how long I'll be dispatched. Could be 14 straight days before I get a day off. I don't yet know what my interwebz connectivity will be like where I'll be working. So my presence here might could be fairly sparse over the coming days/weeks. We could use some of that rain you've got out here...just not too soon. I need to make some fire bucks! Ah oh! Did I just type that in my out loud font? Oh well. I'm leaving it.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:57 AM   #193
428street

All good. Be safe.

I'll post up if I need anything and maybe when you get back and I get this finally resolved we'll move on to a new subject.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #194
428street

Much better now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5893.jpg (81.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5896.jpg (57.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #195
Scoutboy74

Those both look much more guuder. I was able to come home for the night a bit unexpectedly. The water truck is back at fire camp waiting for me to rejoin it bright and early in the morning. I need to get my ass to bed. A couple beers to wash down my late supper were delightful. Going to half to be on the wagon for the next 14 days. If they only how much better I operated equipment under the influence Just kidding. I've got cell service in camp, so I'll be popping in from time to time to keep tabs on things. Good night from the Solar Eclipse capital of the universe.