IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Ignition Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-07-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
mrscullini

Member Number: 7826
Default cooked pertronix??? prestolite distributor

'79 scoutII, 345 with prestolite distributor with recent pertronix upgrade.

On the battery, I installed quick release terminals, the vehicle sits a lot so I remove the terminals so the batter doesn't drain. It has worked great. Downside is, when I do connect the battery terminals I don't always get a good connection. So when I try to start, I'll get a small arc on the pos terminal. I'll pull the terminal off, clean the carbon with scotch brite and reconnect. This sometimes happens multiple times before it finally starts. I know, the quick release terminals are junk.

Anyway, yesterday, this happened and now no start. I've got fuel, the thing cranks and cranks. Could that momentary arc on the battery cook a pertronix module? Is there a simple resistance test I can do on the module?
mrscullini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: cooked pertronix??? prestolite distributor

I like to forward customers with these questions to the manufacturers website as they will have detailed information for diagnostic repairs. Here is a link to Pertronix's website that deals in diagnostics - Pertronix Troubleshooting Tips (Ignitor)

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
mrscullini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
I like to forward customers with these questions to the manufacturers website as they will have detailed information for diagnostic repairs. Here is a link to Pertronix's website that deals in diagnostics - Pertronix Troubleshooting Tips (Ignitor)
Thanks Jeff. I'll send them an email.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

I didn't mean to send you away, of course either myself or one of our awesome tech moderators will be glad to walk you thru any procedures. I just find certain companies already have real good flow charts on diagnosing their parts and Pertronix is one of them hence the link I provided that should have answered your initial problem.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #5
mrscullini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
I didn't mean to send you away, of course either myself or one of our awesome tech moderators will be glad to walk you thru any procedures. I just find certain companies already have real good flow charts on diagnosing their parts and Pertronix is one of them hence the link I provided that should have answered your initial problem.
No worries, didn't think you were shuffling me along.

I did check their site before posting here, however, didn't see anything specific to this.

I have a pretty good feeling I cooked the module, just want to get some confirmation before I drop 90 bucks on a new one.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Is this a Gen I or a later module? Yeah, you really need to do something different with your battery terminal connections. They need to be rock solid. I suggest a Perko switch.

Check for voltage at your coil POS terminal with IGN switch ON. If you don't have power there, you have an issue upstream of the module. If you do have power there, remove one spark plug wire boot of your chose, slide the boot back to expose the brass contact, position it roughly 3/8ths of an inch from chassis ground where you can watch it and have a helper buzz your starter. A spark sufficient to ignite the air fuel mix in the chamber will easily jump that air gap to ground. Low light situations will aid in seeing the spark.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote