IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
BRut

Member Number: 8030
Default Re: I actually paid money for this?

so ive been trying to put an update after every weekend on the scout to keep my motivating going on it last weekend it was pouring rain here and with the scout sitting outside i just wasn't up to it but i did get some work done on another ih getting its new motor and tranny mounts all fabed up and dropped in been thinking bout starting a separate build thread for this one if anybody is interested its not a scout but still a pretty damn cool ih if i do say so myself 1950 l110 ive chopped it down to a shortbed and converted her to 4x4 and then now dropped a dreaded ch##y motor and overdrive trans still has a long long way to go but heres the old girl[attach]Name:  1950 front.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  43.9 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

BRut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #17
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

yes please do start a new thread for your '50 ih pickup.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #18
punjig

Member Number: 1112

i would love to see a thread on you '50. that is one cool ride.

The World Is Full Of Kings And Queens, Who'll Blind Your Eyes And Steal Your Dreams!!! Heaven And Hell R.I.P. RJD
punjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:08 AM   #19
BRut

got some more work done on the scout front floors are in still got alittle more welding and grinding to do but its mostly done also swapped around some sheet metal outta the parts stash definitely alot more ugly now but no rust and only acouple dings on this front clip[attach][attach]Name:  driverside sheetmetal 2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  17.9 KB[/attach][/attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passenger side scout floor.jpg (33.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg driverside scout floor.jpg (25.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #20
BRut

then comes the next part pulled the rear floormat and big shocker rust next weekend ill start cutting all this out and attack it with some diamond plate[attach]Name:  scout bed floor rust.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  30.0 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #21
BRut

figured id show some pictures of what i'm up against every floor support was completely rotten and not salvageable including the rear body mount spots so i cut a chunk outta the floor and braced it up so i could get everything square having a bottle jack on each side made it real easy to gewt everything where i wanted it [attach][attach]Name:  rear bracing.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  37.8 KB[/attach][/attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear drivers side rust.jpg (41.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg rear passenger side rust.jpg (42.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #22
BRut

then i cut out the rear most crossmember and made a new one out of some 2.5x 2.5 tubing welded it in and took out my redneck bracing job, cut the rest of the floor out was super easy sense most was rusted out around the wheel wells Name:  rear floor cut out.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 03-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #23
BRut

probably wont post for a bit till i have something worth posting about have a lot of rust to patch on the wheel wells and such before i can drop the new floor in nothing to exciting just takes time, i'm also gonna be adding a little storage area between the interior panel and quarter panel in the rear passenger side enough to hold some tools, spare fishing tackle, first aid kit, shit like that
Old 04-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #24
BRut

figured id throw a quick post in here so people don't think i abandoned this thing got all the little rust spots on the interior all patched up pretty much had to replace the bottom two inches around the whole thing then laid my main sheet of diamond plate in realized i measured and drilled my holes in the wrong places being a tight ass and to cheap to get another sheet of steel i'm just gonna make this one work but its nice to see some type of floor back here after weeks of rust repair, also got brave and busted out just about every metal shaping tool i own and got some shape back into the passenger quarter panel its at least not caved in anymore and i might give a stab at reusing it if for no other reason than to see if i can Name:  scout new floor.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 04-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #25
BRut

floors all welded in of course still a lot of little things to clean and tidy up but i considered this a milestoneName:  scout new floor.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  37.2 KB took a break to from welding to test fit the new seats way more comfy than the old bench seatName:  pt cruiser seats.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  29.3 KB alright time for my stupid question for whoever is watching id like to put a swing out tire carrier on this thing and just happen to have one off a 90's bronco but ive noticed nobody mounts em on the taillight panel and wondering why this is, is it just to weak? this scout had the brackets on it from what looked like a factory tire carrier when i got it and i'm only running 31 in tires may upgrade to 33's in the future definitely no bigger, i'm by no means gonna be doing any crazy offroading , will i be alright mounting to the taillight panel or should i come up with a way to tie it into the bumper, thanksName:  tire carrier.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  19.7 KB
Old 04-13-2016, 05:08 AM   #26
BRut

floors all welded in of course still a lot of little things to clean and tidy up but i considered this a milestone Name:  new floor welded.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  57.1 KB took a break to from welding to test fit the new seats way more comfy than the old bench seatAttachment 28855 alright time for my stupid question for whoever is watching id like to put a swing out tire carrier on this thing and just happen to have one off a 90's bronco but ive noticed nobody mounts em on the taillight panel and wondering why this is, is it just to weak? this scout had the brackets on it from what looked like a factory tire carrier when i got it and i'm only running 31 in tires may upgrade to 33's in the future definitely no bigger, i'm by no means gonna be doing any crazy offroading , will i be alright mounting to the taillight panel or should i come up with a way to tie it into the bumper, thanksAttachment 28856
Old 04-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #27
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

looking good! i'll take a stab at your swing out question. end caps on the scout are weak when compared to the fs bronco, which doesn't have end caps. on the bronco, the rear qp doesn't end in a straight line like the scout. its all the same piece that wraps around. plus, there is an inner qp reenforcing plate. there's more structural integrity that way. back in the day, my dad had a nice '80 bronco that was sporting 33 x 12.50's with a spare on the factory swing out. those were big tires in the 80's! he never experienced any issues from the swing away carrier while he had it, but i've read on fs bronco forums where some owners have seen damage over time, especially if the carrier swings out too far. the sii swing out is alright for stock size tires, but you start throwing more weight on there, eventually the end cap will begin to pull away from the qp on that side.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:36 AM   #28
BRut

thankyou scoutboy74, better play it safe and just build a mount into the bumper
Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #29
BRut

lets see whats gonna be my excuse i had another kid last summer, i got a promotion at work (more money always seems to mean more work), the motor in my 73 pickup died which turned into a huge drivetrain makeover, and the never ending home improvement projects, basically the scout got shoved out back and put on hold even robbed a few parts off it for other shit, but with warmer weather around the corner i ordered some new quarter panels and rolled her back in after a nice long break from this thing hopefully soon will be able to start showing some progress again
Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #30
scouttoo

Member Number: 342

thanks for checking in. post up when you get started again, i need the inspiration. i'm too old to use the new kid excuse, but work and commute, crap house that needs everything, keeping the fleet of junk road worthy are my excuses!