IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #16
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369
Default Re: An Expedition Scout

Had to order a set of spindle nut kits today, the stuff that was on there is in pretty bad shape, so until parts come in I'm at a standstill on that. So I started to put the engine bay back together, I will have to do a bit of repair on the front wire harness but will run it while I build a new one. Used a porta-power between the engine and the bent inner drivers fender and pushed a lot of it out. Will do some hammer and dolly work on it tomorrow to try and straighten it out the rest of the way. Pulled the torn up seats and pedestals out and started on the drivers side since it still has the factory seat mount. I will have to modify one of the pedestals for the passenger side.
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #17
71mtnscout

I beat and banged on the drivers fender well today for what seemed like hours, along with the help of a porta-power, and got it as straight as I'm gunna get it.

Before

And after

I need to pick up some steel tomorrow and finish the drivers seat install and I started repairing the front harness....it was 94 today and miserable.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #18
71mtnscout

I bought an oil light switch and temp sender over the weekend and rebuilt the weber 32/36 too. Installed the senders and got most of the wiring done on the engine, still need to wire the alternator, but the rest is done and working. Primed the carb and she came to life, don't have the exhaust on cause it needs to be modified since it was installed with the engine all cattywampuss and now will not bolt back up to the engine. I also got the driver seat mocked in, it seems to high to me but will work for now till I get her home.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #19
71mtnscout

So I'm staring at the Scout and came up with a lift with parts that I already have and that wont mess up my steering geometry to add clearance for the 33's. I have a bunch of 1/4" plate left over from other projects and what I'm planning on doing is going with 5" shackles and making 2" drop brackets for the spring hangers on the frame...netting me an instant 2" lift. That along with the 1" body lift should give me plenty of room for the tires. I measured out the factory brackets, and there the same on the front and the rear. The only difference is there angle in relation to the ground...the fronts being 34* and the rears are 30*. If I make the brackets at 32* it will only change the mounting centers by 1/8", which is no big deal.

The rough cuts

When there finished they should look like this. They will cover the factory hangers and will be self centering on them too.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #20
71mtnscout

Tackled the front end yesterday and today...

Pulled the d27 and springs off and put new bushings in the passenger spring. The drivers spring pack had the 2 top leafs bent from the front end hit, so I had to take it apart and replace those 2 leafs. I had a set of front late model 800 springs with the 2 leafs that I needed. Being late model the eyelet was the larger diameter, good thing they had new bushings in them! I want to replace my springs with lift springs eventually, but these should work for now till I save up the cash. Got the d30 that I picked up in place and the springs remounted, I need to have new u-bolts made tomorrow since the d30 has larger tubes, and I still need to change the steering linkage over from the d27 along with the brake lines...tomorrow!

It was a loooooooong day, took forever to get the u-bolts bent and back to the shop. The d27 spring plates are a tad small for the d30, but I modified them to work for now till I make new ones or find some from an late 800. Didn't get the steering or brake lines done, maybe on Monday, then gotta get the brakes done and new bushings in the rear springs. It's taking longer than I wanted to get it back on the road but its close.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #21
71mtnscout

I'm losing my work area for the 64 so it will be towed home next week....awesome!
Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #22
71mtnscout

The 64 is at home now.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #23
71mtnscout

The 196 in the 64 has some "interesting" noises coming out of it now that the muffler is back on. It seems to run just fine and has good power, but has a rattle/knock without load when coming back to idle only...I'd say from 1800rpm to idle. That and the fact that I'm positive that the head isn't unleaded friendly is making me rethink the build, and the fact that I've always wanted a 2wd street and a 4x4 Scout in the stables. So since I have 2 s80's I can have both! I have other things to sell to finance the builds (priorities) I will continue the work on the 63 as the off-road machine. It has an awesome engine and is already kinda beat up so trail rash wont be a concern.

I found out that the driver side axle on the rear of the 63 is bent awhile back along with the driveshaft, most likely the source of my vibration issue, and it has a centered d44 tapered rear axle on a d18 t-case. Tomorrow I will start the swap on the rear axle and driveshaft from the 64 to the 63. It's a flanged d44 from a waggy, so its offset for a better driveline angle with the d18 t-case, and its much stronger than the tapered axle and has way better aftermarket support, and I'll gain an e-brake!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #24
71mtnscout

Tackled the axle swap between the 64 and 63 today...got the waggy axle bolted into the 63 and back down on its wheels. Tomorrow I will bleed the brakes and tend to the e-brake setup. I might even get the other axle back into the 64, but that's not as much of a priority as getting the 63 back up. I can say that working in the driveway sucks, but that's all I got for a work area for now.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #25
71mtnscout

The 63 is now a "driver" again...bleed the brakes and tied the e-brake cable out of the way till I get to a handle. Have to go get the good driveshaft shortened tomorrow, it has almost no slip left (1/4") with an offset d44 which wasn't the case with a centered one. The gears are lower on this axle, I think 4.27 vs 4.88 and its an open diff too. I might take the guts and r&p out of the old one, it was a locker, maybe a trash-lock never looked. Took it on a small test drive and readjusted the proportioning valve so my brakes are pretty good now.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #26
71mtnscout

Had the driveshaft done yesterday...$50.00...a great deal, and installed it this morning and checked and lubed the u-joints. Went for a test drive and am very happy with the results. This is the first s80 I've driven with 4.27's all my others have had 4.88's and with a 196 and a weber it will cruise effortlessly at 65mph on the highway at almost 3,000rpm instead of screaming at 55mph. Even with the solid mounted engine/trans the vibration isn't to bad at speed now...I'm willing to drive it almost anywhere now.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #27
71mtnscout

Been driving the 63 all week and she's doing pretty good. The steering box is in decent condition, but I cant wait to get the grand cherokee p/s box in it to tighten it up a bit. I need to change the wrong front ubolts out for the stock ones I have on the rf corner and I re-torqued the rear ubolts. Next up is my cheap 2" lift......
Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #28
71mtnscout

Its been awhile since I've done anything to the Scout cause its been so fricking hot here these last 2 months of summer. The weather has mellowed a bit now so I started in on it again this past week. Remember the drop plates I had made? Well I started fitting those this week getting ready to do my "on the cheap" lift while retaining the correct axle alignment specs. I have procured 3/8" x 5" shackles to take care of the other ends to match the 2" spring mount drop. Thats all for now and nothing has really changed yet, I'm planning to do the lift in 1 day so as not to down it for long since its my dd...more to follow.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #29
71mtnscout

I now have all the parts for the poormans lift, will start it tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #30
71mtnscout

Started on the lift today at the front...yes that's ruthie my wife. I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that likes IH's as much as me and likes to work on them too.

Frame plates are installed first, bolted, and heavily tacked. I will finish weld them when I'm done with the whole lift and then painted. The shackles went on next and new kyb's. I've ordered the correct length kyb shocks for front and rear and will change them when they come in. The stock shocks will work for a mall crawler but will get destroyed four wheelin. It was 3pm when we got it back together and fixed the upper shock mounts. There has been some interesting things done to it in the past.

I will get better pics tomorrow.