IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #46
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369
Default Re: An Expedition Scout

First test was a success! Did a 3 day short run, 125 miles out, to I.h.w.r. In yermo over the weekend with beater loaded for camping. Well...glamping, we were in a campground with full services. 60 mph seems to be the "happy" speed and I averaged 19 mpg on the highway...not bad. There are a few more things I need to add to the truck to be able to dry camp but were gettin real close. We really need a bigger tent, the being bent over in it sucks, I want one that I can stand in. Gunna take a rest and work on the bike for a bit while I plan the next mods.
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #47
71mtnscout

Started back at him again and I was getting exhaust in the cab again, so a check proved to be a loose exhaust...again. Yesterday I extended the exhaust to the rear, and added more hangers to take the stress off of the manifold connection. Flange gasket was toast and of coarse it wasn't in stock and had to be ordered. Got that replaced to today and did a short "seating in" run and re torqued it and did another heat cycle. I had no exhaust in the cab on either run so hopefully it's fixed for the last time, but then it is an IH. It's 103* right now and I'll wait till the sun goes down to go fill the tank.

Next is the enclosing and weather proofing of the storage pockets that used to be the saddle tank areas.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #48
71mtnscout

Left for the shop last week and right after I got on the highway he died, just like the key was shut off. When I got to the shoulder it was idling and then just died, restarted and died again.

Had time today to finally get into it, turned out to be no spark. The Delco dizzy has a pertronix ignition and I figured it died. I pulled the dizzy from Wilma and popped it in Beater...nothin. Changed the coil and bam, running like a champ. I set the timing and left the Holley points dizzy in Beater and will pickup a performance coil for Wilma and use the Delco in her.