IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
mrscullini

Member Number: 7826
Default Tom Woods 1310 Super Flex Ujoint

wondering exactly how this joint works and if it will help my issue. i've got sii with a 4" rc lift, 5" cpt shackles, 4* caster shims. the front driveline angle is pretty steep. it doesn't bind but the u-bolts kiss the yolk sometimes. seems to be when the hubs are locked but in 2wd. in 4wd, i seem to be ok. a couple of questions;

1. what does the joint do?
2. does the joint go at the t-case or the diff?
3. does it matter how the offset is oriented?

i know there are speed/vibe issues. that will not be a concern as i only use 4wd at low speeds. the ultimate solution will be a cut & turn but not quite ready.

thanks for any insight.
mrscullini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Hondo

Member Number: 4714
Default Re: Tom Woods 1310 Super Flex Ujoint

The joints move the crosses back away from the yokes. The center of the crosses of the stock u-joints were hitting the end of the pinion shaft and output shaft of the T-case on mine. I have a similar set up, but with skyjacker springs. Make sure you check clearances with the axle at full droop. You will probably want them at both ends of the drive shaft. Since you live up in snow country, be advised you will probably be giving up 4-hi. The front output shaft seal on my D300 started leaking shortly after installing the Tom Woods. Forgot and left my front hubs locked on a short street trip. Think these are mostly meant for low speed trail rigs. If the u-bolts are only kissing the yokes at full droop, I'd whip out the die grinder and do a little tolerancing.
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Mochamike

Member Number: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
The joints move the crosses back away from the yokes. The center of the crosses of the stock u-joints were hitting the end of the pinion shaft and output shaft of the T-case on mine. I have a similar set up, but with skyjacker springs. Make sure you check clearances with the axle at full droop. You will probably want them at both ends of the drive shaft. Since you live up in snow country, be advised you will probably be giving up 4-hi. The front output shaft seal on my D300 started leaking shortly after installing the Tom Woods. Forgot and left my front hubs locked on a short street trip. Think these are mostly meant for low speed trail rigs. If the u-bolts are only kissing the yokes at full droop, I'd whip out the die grinder and do a little tolerancing.
X2.

Plus
They work great. Put one on the end with the most angle... (usually at the pinion end of the DS)

Since the the the pairs of caps are offset, it spaces the yokes out about 3/4" further away from each other which give them more room for clearance.

As Hondo said, it does cause vibrations at high speeds... but I've driven mine 30-40mph on dirt roads in 4wd with no problem.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
chprice

Member Number: 9248

Thanks for the tip!
chprice is offline   Reply With Quote