IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
BadWolf32

Member Number: 8655
Default 1964 Scout 80 Weber 32/36 Carb Problems

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the exact same issues.

1964 Scout 80
152 cid
timing 5btdc
fuel pressure 2.5psi
weber 32/36 carb

won't idle unless I hold the choke flaps closed, give it any gas and it starts sputtering and backfiring through the carb...

I can't find a vacuum leak and the carb has been rebuilt...I'm lost and almost to the point of just replacing the carb with the kit listed above. Anyone got a solution to this problem???!!!???

It's driving me nucking futs...

Chris
BadWolf32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: Scout 80 152 weber 32/36 swap.

I think I read your post on the bp. It has way more information in it regarding what you have been through already. That would be helpful to have in a thread of your own here.

Either way you need to block the pcv valve and retest. I have seen the wrong valve used, one put in backwards and ones that were stuck in the open position.

I have witnessed base gaskets on the adapter to mani and carb being wrong leaving gaps and resulting leaks.

As far as the carb being ok, I would only say that you need to check the pilot jets. They are the only thing responsible for idle and low throttle operating conditions. They are accessed on the side. Brass straight blade plug. One on each side. One primary and one secondary. Now, depending on which dgxx 32/36 you have you May only have one.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
BadWolf32

Default Re: Scout 80 152 weber 32/36 swap.

Thanks for the advice, I'll start a new thread and see if anyone here has any more thoughts.

In reference to your suggestions, I don't have a pcv valve that I can see. I have a...1/2" vacuum line running down to the block from the intake manifold but there's no valve in it that I can tell, unless it's in the side of the block?

If that tube is supposed to have a pcv valve in it and its not there, that might explain alot. Giant half inch hole sucking air in from the crankcase...
Old 04-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #4
BadWolf32

Default 1964 Scout 80 Weber 32/36 Carb Problems

So I got this 1964 Scout 80 about 3 years ago. Supposed to be a father son project for me and my boys. (my daughter called it a bucket the day I bought it home...) the body is fairly straight, no damage to speak of other then the rear bumper is bent on one side. I think the top has never been off of it, it's pretty much all original right down to the seats.

The previous owner had started doing some upgrades on it, electronic ignition module and the weber 32/36 dgv carb upgrade. When I got the truck the distributor was out of it and it hadn't run in pretty close to a decade. So fast forward to now...

I had the carb rebuilt last year thinking it's gotta be full of varnish and dry gaskets etc. I assumed the guy that rebuilt it did a decent job but now I'm not so sure and I can't find him any more so there ya go.

The only way I can get the truck to start and idle at all is if I hold the choke closed or very nearly closed. I've double and triple checked the timing and right now its at about 5btdc, the dwell is set as close to 75 degrees as I can get it. I also replaced the springs on the advance weights in the distributor because they were definitely weak.

I've checked for vacuum leaks, but there's only 3-4 vacuum hoses and none of them seem bad. I've sprayed carb cleaner and ether around the base of the carb while it's running and the idle doesn't change so I think the base gaskets are sealed.

I've got a filter before the fuel pump, after the pump is a pressure regulator set to 2.5psi and then another clear glass filter and then the carb so I know it's getting fuel and it's fresh gas.

I found one other post on this forum with the same symptoms but he never came back to say what fixed it if he was able to get it fixed. So I'm jammed up, just want to drive this thing before it gets too hot here in phoenix...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If it helps here is a link to a video of the truck running...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puezkirqwya

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Default Re: 1964 Scout 80 Weber 32/36 Carb Problems

I moved the other posts to this one. Sorry for the messy order. That is all we can do.

So the brass tee fitting on your manifold where one side the hose for the wipers is connected, the other side goes to the lifter valley cover. It must have a pcv valve or restrictor (.060-.125 diameter orifice) between the engine and tee fitting.
If not that is likely your issue. Test, clamp the engine connected hose and test.

Hope it is that simple.

Here it the oem setup on my Scout.
Notice the tee fitting and the pcv valve on the bottom branch of the tee.

A pcv valve is a variable flow valve that responds to manifold vacuum. At idle when the vacuum is the highest, the valve shots down to a small hole. Under higher throttle openings when the vacuum is low, the valve opens up and becomes a vent to release pressure.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

I work on alot of air cooled vw's with them and the idle jets are famous for clogging. That's where I would look first, then for a vacuum leak. Make sure the base gasket is on correctly also and that no holes in the base of the carb are covered by it.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
BadWolf32

I did partially disassemble the carb last week and cleaned all the jets as far as I know, but I'm happy to pull the two idle jets again and blast some carb cleaner into them again.

You were right about the base gasket, the one that came with the rebuild kit I bought last week was too small for the base so I had to notch it out for the ports it was covering. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #8
BadWolf32

Thumbs up Re: 1964 Scout 80 Weber 32/36 Carb Problems

Robert kenney, if you are ever in phoenix Arizona I owe you some very tall very cold beers.

I pulled that hose, and plugged the vacuum port with my finger and it runs. It idles down around 500-550 when it's warmed up, I think I need a longer idle screw on the carb but I can work that out. (it's bottomed out and just barely touching the idle arm.

Now I just have to sort out a pcv valve scenario. Any thoughts on what part to get? I understand the originals are next to impossible to find.

https://youtu.be/uuoxpzwzfr0
Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #9
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Good job!! Happy you found the issue. If you haven't already, disconnect and plug the vacuum advance and rest your ignition timing to 8-10*.

I found a few nos pcv valves on ebay.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
BadWolf32

I found a replacement pcv valve for about $50, which seems pretty steep to me. Is there a newer one with maybe just barbed fittings instead of that threaded one? I found a conversion kit but it seemed like it was for bigger engines than the 152. It's tough to want to pay $50 for a a pcv valve when they're $10 for every other car lol
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Niehoff pv607 is the nos one I have. I also May have a good serviceable oem one that can be cleaned and work fine. Let me have a look this weekend.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
BadWolf32

I'm just going to order this one I found online. I just want to drive the Scout before it's too friggin hot.

I still have to rig a gas pedal, bolt the seats in, bolt the seatbelts in, and a laundry list of other things...

Thank you again for your help.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
cogsplitter

Member Number: 8664

I'm having a heck of a time with the weber too (32/36 from redline on '62 80 with the 152). I can't get it to idle. I've explored all the vacuuming leak possibilities. Installed and reinstalled carb with sealant, which did seem to help a little. Timing seems acceptable. Fine tuned linkage, idle screw length, it seems to me that I can't get it enough fuel. Clear inline filters won't fill enough. Runs fine with plenty of pedal. So, I've put a new mechanical pump, and nothing. So then, supplemented it with a electrical inline pump good for 2.5 psi, no improvement. Weber needs 3. Upped it to a 3-5 psi inline, still can't get it to idle. What's the deal with all the 80/800's, is the mechanical pump not enough ? Everyone I see has only one tank working with an inline electric pump. The inline electric push better than pull, however, I did install it in front of the tank selector, I theorized that in combination with the mechanical pump I could at least meet the minimum requirements of the weber, no dice. I've blown the lines out and flushed the tanks several times. Help !
cogsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
cogsplitter

Member Number: 8664

Badwolf32, just watch your video and I had the same problem. I took the carb off and used gasket sealer at every stage and this seemed to help that. I also put the choke in its own switch. Now I can't seem to get enough fuel to the carb at idle.
cogsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #15
BadWolf32

Well I got the pcv valve in an plumbed, and honestly it made almost no difference at all.

I'll pull the carb and base again tomorrow and hit em with some sealer on the gaskets to see if there is a vacuum leak there.

With the pcv valve in, it does idle much lower when I hold the choke mostly closed. It also idles pretty smooth but it still won't idle without me holding the choke mostly closed.

So tomorrow it's gasket sealer on the base and the adapter...

Cogsplitter I saw you mention fuel pressure, I'm only running about 2.5 psi so I'll turn it up to 3 or so and see if that helps too. I'm just running a stock mechanical pump, not electric so...I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the info.

I'll report back what I find...

Last edited by BadWolf32; 04-24-2017 at 10:37 PM..