IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #406
Guards964

Member Number: 9003
Default Re: New Members please check in here

Hello Scout enthusiasts! I found the forum while I've been on my search for my Scout. I've been looking for about an year at this point and have been lurking in the background on the forum for way too long so it's time to say hi.

Hopefully I can find my Scout soon so I can join in the project conversations, but in the meantime keep the information flowing. This site has been a great resource as I have been looking and driving different scouts in my search.

Thanks

Scott
Guards964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #407
baley69

Member Number: 9219

Hey everyone, first time poster second time Scout owner. My name is Andy and I'm from Salem, Oregon. In highschool I had a 72 Scout II that I had to get rid of because the money well dried up... Last month I picked up a 77 Scout Terra with a 4 speed and a 304. I'm in with this one for the long haul so I'm going to be doing a complete rebuild over many many years, so my first question would be about brakes.

The current stock brakes are a little spongy, and the power steering pump is very noisy. I have been looking into the Hydroboost which I understand would take care of both issues, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I have no plans of lifting or going larger tires, but I would tow a dump trailer (small) from time to time, but like I said I'm going to own this thing forever.

Anyhow, thank you in advance and I look forward to the journey with all of you!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (48.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (67.9 KB, 9 views)
baley69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #408
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by baley69 View Post
Hey everyone, first time poster second time Scout owner. My name is Andy and I'm from Salem, Oregon. In highschool I had a 72 Scout II that I had to get rid of because the money well dried up... Last month I picked up a 77 Scout Terra with a 4 speed and a 304. I'm in with this one for the long haul so I'm going to be doing a complete rebuild over many many years, so my first question would be about brakes.

The current stock brakes are a little spongy, and the power steering pump is very noisy. I have been looking into the Hydroboost which I understand would take care of both issues, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I have no plans of lifting or going larger tires, but I would tow a dump trailer (small) from time to time, but like I said I'm going to own this thing forever.

Anyhow, thank you in advance and I look forward to the journey with all of you!

Andy
Welcome Andy. This is not to dissuade you from going the hydro-boost route. If something is wrong with your power steering pump, replacements are common and easy to change out. That's after the fluid level has first been checked. As for your brakes, the hydraulic system needs to be entirely leak free at all points. The wheel cylinders at the rear drums are common leak points when subjected to neglect and abuse. Master cylinders can fail over time. It might just be a case of your system needing to be purged of residual air. What I'm getting at in a general way, is that I think you should first spend some time scratching beneath the surface of each of your mentioned problem areas to see if you can determine what the actual issue might be. I think a hydro-boost modification would serve you better if you had your existing brake and steering systems working as intended first rather than applying it in band-aid fashion. That's only my opinion. I've not performed that modification on any of my vehicles, so take it for what its worth.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #409
baley69

Member Number: 9219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutboy74 View Post
Welcome Andy. This is not to dissuade you from going the hydro-boost route. If something is wrong with your power steering pump, replacements are common and easy to change out. That's after the fluid level has first been checked. As for your brakes, the hydraulic system needs to be entirely leak free at all points. The wheel cylinders at the rear drums are common leak points when subjected to neglect and abuse. Master cylinders can fail over time. It might just be a case of your system needing to be purged of residual air. What I'm getting at in a general way, is that I think you should first spend some time scratching beneath the surface of each of your mentioned problem areas to see if you can determine what the actual issue might be. I think a hydro-boost modification would serve you better if you had your existing brake and steering systems working as intended first rather than applying it in band-aid fashion. That's only my opinion. I've not performed that modification on any of my vehicles, so take it for what its worth.
Thank you, and thats a good point! My system works fine (for a 77) I'm just thinking ahead looking at my existing master looking rough and my power steering pump being so noisy. I definitely do not want to just throw money at it, but I do want to restore this to be a reliable driver.
baley69 is offline   Reply With Quote